GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello, all. We just picked up our #5 and #6 Volts this last weekend, two new 2019's, trading in our 2014 and 2015 (previously had two 2012's before those).

Unfortunately, we've had some confusion setting up OnStar with these 2019's this time. Apparently, back in early 2018, around March or May, Chevy decided to nickle and dime their customers and no longer include OnStar Remote Key Fob services (just starting and stoping from the MyChevrolet app on your phone) for Chevrolet vehicles free of charge and now require a $15/mo Basic OnStar plan to do so. However, the Volt has always in the past been a one-off exception and had OnStar included as part of the vehicle for 5 Years (I believe). The people I have talked to so far at OnStar all say that all vehicles are only now have the RemoteKeyFob free for 1-3 months (depending if you have a CC on file) and after that, it will NOT work unless you pay the $15/mo basic.

But, I just got my welcome letter (email) from OnStar and towards the bottom of the email, there is the "Important Terms" area and I see this:

Important terms:
Visit onstar.com for coverage map, details and system limitations. Services vary by model. Service plan required.
Chevrolet Bolt/Volt Offer: Model year 2018 and newer vehicles include 1 month of the OnStar Safety & Security Plan and 1 month of Chevrolet Connected Services, which includes navigation services, the Remote Access Plan, and 1 month or 3 GB of 4G LTE data (whichever comes first) from vehicle delivery date. Model year 2018 and newer Chevrolet Bolt and Chevrolet Volt vehicles also receive 5 years of Remote Key Fob Add-On. Services are subject to user terms and limitations. Data plans offered by AT&T.
I also found specific reference to the Bolt/Volt directly on the OnStar Support site which also contradicts everything these OnStar reps have said:
https://www.onstar.com/us/en/support/chevrolet/

So I'm confused, will the Remote Key Fob keep working for the Volt/Bolt past the 1 month "trial" or does it cease to function as the OnStar phone reps say?

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
Hello, all. We just picked up our #5 and #6 Volts this last weekend, two new 2019's, trading in our 2014 and 2015 (previously had two 2012's before those).

Unfortunately, we've had some confusion setting up OnStar with these 2019's this time. Apparently, back in early 2018, around March or May, Chevy decided to nickle and dime their customers and no longer include OnStar Remote Key Fob services (just starting and stoping from the MyChevrolet app on your phone) for Chevrolet vehicles free of charge and now require a $15/mo Basic OnStar plan to do so. However, the Volt has always in the past been a one-off exception and had OnStar included as part of the vehicle for 5 Years (I believe). The people I have talked to so far at OnStar all say that all vehicles are only now have the RemoteKeyFob free for 1-3 months (depending if you have a CC on file) and after that, it will NOT work unless you pay the $15/mo basic.

But, I just got my welcome letter (email) from OnStar and towards the bottom of the email, there is the "Important Terms" area and I see this:

So I'm confused, will the Remote Key Fob keep working for the Volt/Bolt past the 1 month "trial" or does it cease to function as the OnStar phone reps say?
As was just pointed out in the following thread, as shown on the Chevrolet web site, for the 2019 Volt the Remote Access key fob functions are included for 5 years.

https://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?328195-10-Questions-amp-Two-Volts&p=4641437#post4641437

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Shoot, sorry.. missed that thread. Thanks.

I guess we just have to hope it keeps working and doesn't get cut off because no OnStar rep would confirm this at all.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
Shoot, sorry.. missed that thread. Thanks.

I guess we just have to hope it keeps working and doesn't get cut off because no OnStar rep would confirm this at all.
I was confused too; evidently the no additional cost 5 year remote access key fob functionality only applies to the 2019 Volt (maybe the Bolt too but there is nothing stated on the 2019 Bolt main page regarding Remote Access key fob functions being included for 5 years for the Bolt as is stated on the Volt page.)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I really don't understand how this on going subscription pricing gets put into vehicles. If I wanted a lease I would have gotten one. When we buy one we expect ALL the features to work WITHOUT extra costs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts