GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the bug where the Nav screen switches to the USB full screen, usually just when I need to see where I'm going. Scouring the forum indicates software patch PIO880 is supposed to fix it. Indeed, every post I can find by someone who had this update claims their problem went away.

I confirmed the software ID via PM with a factory rep here on the forum. I talked to my Dedicated Advisor to make sure that the dealer was educated about this before I arrived. After I left the car at the dealer, I got a call a few hours later telling me that their tech could not find any reference to software PIO880 and asking me to explain what it was for. I explained that if a bluetooth phone is paired with the car, that when playing USB audio the Nav screen would occasionally autonomously switch to display the USB screen. When I retrieved the car I was told they figured it out and installed it. It was immediately obvious to me that the problem was not fixed.

Last week I took it to a 2nd dealership with the same request. When I retrieved the vehicle I was told that PIO880 had in fact been already installed and was working fine. However, the problem remains. I suspect that it was not installed correctly by the first dealer but logged that way, and the 2nd dealer merely looked up the records for my VIN which shows it was installed by the 1st dealer.

Don't know if this is relevant, but I see there is a page in the Config menu to display what software is installed in the radio; the display lists lots of installed software but doesn't show anything that corresponds with PIO-anything. I called the dealer to ask for help in correlating the display of installed software to PIO880 and their response was they didn't even know how to access the installed software screen. I called the main Volt Dedicated Advisor phone number and asked them for the same information, their response was they didn't know how to access the screen either, and asked me to walk them through it. I couldn't, being that I was away from the car. Even so, they said didn't know anything about the displayed software versions.

The 2nd dealer did a factory reset on the radio and suggested I unpair the bluetooth on both my radio and on my phone, shut my phone off for a minute, then re-pair the phone to the car. I did all that with no joy.

I see a forum posting that also equates this PIO to a problem with the heater blowing cold air, which I complained about to both dealers, and I asked them to check the thermostat calibration. The 2nd dealer told me there is nothing wrong with the climate system. However, again last night with the outside air temp at 56F and me shivering inside with the climate set to Auto and the car interior temp set to 74F, it was blowing cold air in my face after driving 15 minutes on the freeway. Only if I increase the temp to about 76 does it begin to blow warm air.

Can anyone tell me if I'm barking up the wrong tree, or how to verify for sure this update was installed? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
If the AUTO switch is on, you are allowing the air conditioner to run to "defrost" (dry) the air whenever the sensors detect more than a certain level of moisture. This will always "cool" the air to a lower temperature than you would normally get from the heater. In addition, it will use even more of your battery range to run the air conditioner.

If you need the drying effect of the air conditioner due to fogged up windows, etc., you will have to set the heater to a higher temperature setting to reheat the colder air. Otherwise, turn off the "AUTO" button for heat only.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Jerry, good info but I only mentioned using AUTO to eliminate having some other setting incorrect. I get the same behavior when not in Auto and with defroster set to off. But I also noticed that just since my last dealer visit, the outside air temp is displaying about 10-15 degrees warmer than reality. Don't know how that could be unless there's some temperature probe calibration that the tech messed up. It used to display outside air temp correctly. The bigger concern is the Nav screen disappearing on me.

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
Below is the official list of concerns that the radio updates issued via BULLETIN PI0880 (that's a ZERO after the PI by the way NOT an "Oh" which may have contributed to the dealership's initial confusion )

Which of these exactly are you equating to your current concern?
From your work order copies, does it indicate they reprogrammed the NAV radio with the latest and greatest?
WOT
PS> PI0880 is a dealer preliminary bulletin merely advising of the availability of an update to address these particular concerns and NOT associated directly to any particular software version or file ID

•Cannot enter a destination with voice recognition. The system will accept City and State input, but does not allow enough time for street entry.
•Cannot enter a destination with voice recognition. The system does not allow enough time for address entry.
•Voice recognition inoperative.
•Entries in the address book disappear.
•Album/Artist/Track information not displayed at times.
•Picture view icon is not enabled.
•Arrival time is not retained after an ignition cycle.
•Incorrect language translations.
•Navigation voice prompts are intermittent.
•Route guidance is not resumed after an ignition cycle, or when the radio is powered OFF then back ON.
•Incorrect lane guidance images displayed.
•Audio is not heard through the vehicle when an outbound call is made from a paired phone.
•Date advances after an ignition cycle.
•Rear headphones are not deactivated when using parental controls.
•Pause button is displayed upon DVD insertion. It should be the play button.
•Preset selection does not work as expected in certain modes.
•DVD playback is not resumed after an ignition cycle.
•Wide screen DVDs are not displayed correctly.
•Certain XM advisory messages are not displayed.
•Wrong icon is displayed on NAV screen when using voice recognition request for Stitcher. Pandora icon is displayed.
•Radio shows “Audio Paused” while audio is still being heard.
•Unable to select DVD as source through voice recognition.
•Unable to select Rear Aux or Rear A/V as source through voice recognition.
•Unable to view movie while in Park (last frame displayed).
•After a split screen maneuver is complete, the display does not return to full screen map.
•Cannot select destination Icon/phone (not grayed out).
•Voice Recognition is frozen during vehicle destination entry.
•Pop noise heard.
•Address entry issues (wrong country prompt shown, addresses not found)

·
Registered
906 Posts
is this for MyLink equipped 2013's or the older Infotainment system? I noticed some of these things occuring on my 2013 and just figured it had to do with poor integration to my iphone or something...
-Christopher

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for clarifying a few things WOT. I read through the list of fixes in the bulletin and nothing immediately stands out as a problem I recognize.

Just did a quick search of the forum (using IPO880 ...I P 'Oh'). In post 14 of one thread (link below) the user states that this particular issue is not listed in the IP0880 description, however everyone posting with my complaint states that the issue went away following this upgrade. I also received assurance from a Chevy rep on the forum here that this is the bulletin that would address and fix this problem. Wish I knew what software version to look for in the radio list to verify whether or not it was actually installed.

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread...hes-to-audio-screen-issue&p=736177#post736177

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
cadillackid - is the Infotainment system older than MyLink? I was under the impression it was the other way around. I hope I'm right, my 2013 has Infotainment.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
WOT - sorry I didn't answer your other question. No, my work orders don't state that they programmed the radio with anything other than 880. Maybe that's the key, it could be another minor update that people have had done during the same visit as 880. Wish I knew what to say next time, I was already told verbally that I had all the latest updates.

For the record, it seems like everyone else that posts about the Nav screen switching to USB has their BT paired with an iPhone5, and early on GM was pointing the finger at Apple. But I'm using an Android - Samsung Galaxy S3.

So far my experience has been frustrating trying to communicate my issues to technicians via the service dept reps, and then having them communicate through the reps back to me, usually only to tell me they can't replicate my complaints after leaving the vehicle with them for 3 days. I stopped using the Dedicated Volt Adviser service after they dropped the ball a couple of times, even after I asked to be assigned a different adviser. I finally asked the last one straight up what advantage they offer me other than making an appointment with a dealer, and they answered "nothing really". Wonder why Chevy is wasting money contracting these guys, other than that the concept sounds good on paper. For me it only complicated things.

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
Try this.
Assuming you have received a recent update of the radio software, sometimes the technician may miss an important message that is relayed by the Service Programming System. After reprogramming you MUST "reset" the radio to initiate the updated files to be implemented by the radio OS.

This is done on the touch screen by navigating Config>Radio Settings>Software Versions Menu>Clear and Reset Radio
Then select YES to RESET the radio

*Note all radio settings will be reverted to "factory defaults" upon resetting

Perhaps doing this will alleviate your symptoms

HTH
WOT

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
Good suggestion but no luck, thanks.
Worth a try I guess, but reading back on your 2nd response to my questions- IF the repair order doesn't state your radio was reprogrammed, it very likely WASN'T (which would surprise me as THAT they would get pad for)

What needs to happen is for them to use the SERVICE PROGRAMMING SSYTEM to perform a USB update of your radio firmware/software. If your current dealer seems reluctant to do this , perhaps try another dealer.

PS> You BEST bet will be to choose a symptom from the list I posted above and provide THAT as your concern. You typically cant just walk in the door and ask for an update (unless you want to pay for it) Instead the warranty system is based on a COMPLAINT>RESOLUTION regime. Tell them your NAV radio is acting up in almost ANY way, and they are certain to update it with the latest firmware/software and give it back to you to see if that keeps you satisfied. But it should SAY the reprogrammed your radio on your copy of the repair order when you sign off and pick up your car.

What you could also do is record ALL of those file numbers in the Software Versions menu and compare them AFTER the car has been re-programmed- some should change.

HTH
WOT

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The first dealer wrote it up as:
2111 reprogrammed radio, code 80025, test; ok

Does that sound to you like they did a USB update of the radio firm/software? I assumed they did because when I retrieved the car I found everything from my front armrest console emptied onto the passenger seat, including my USB thumbdrive. If not, does that code 80025 correspond with the PI0880 bulletin (which he wrote up as IPO 880).

If I just choose a symptom from the list, wouldn't you think they might try to verify it first? And if they can't....
Is my real existing symptom valid enough and maybe a safer bet to use in justifying my request for the service programming system?

I'll take photos of the software versions now, good idea. Thanks so much for all the great info and for giving me hope.

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
Sounds like the most recent software (as of that date) WAS installed then. The dealership cannot pick and choose the software to install. All they can do is install the most recent files, (what I call the "latest and greatest) which would have included the various fixes outlined in PI0880 (that is a service BULLETIN number NOT the software ID) as well as any NEWER files released since the PI0880.

So it's not surprising your "concern" wasn't addressed and it isn't listed as an issue in the bulletin. (see above)

Not saying what you have going on isn't a potential issue but I've never heard anyone comment on the display switching to the USB screen abnormally before and Im wondering if it isn't the normal operation after some sort of "event". Normally it would only switch to this screen when you first inserted your jump drive.

You said:
I have the bug where the Nav screen switches to the USB full screen, usually just when I need to see where I'm going.
Does it switch from NAV to the USB screen all on its own?

How often does it do this? Is it repeatable during a 5 minute road test?

Are you listening to a USB source (thumb drive) at the time?

Does it do this when you are NOT listening to a USB source?

Is it possible you might be touching one of the steering wheel controls to trigger this event? (SRC for instance)

Is it possible the USB device wasn't fully inserted or being moved by glove box contents and was then being "redetected" on occasion (auto-switching you from NAV view to USB)??

Can you post a couple photos of exactly what it is doing??

I mean you can take it back to the dealer if you wish, but they would want these exact questions answered. At this point just trying to determine exactly what happens and when.

If I was to hazard a guess - there might either be something wrong with either your USB device (is it a full steel USB plug on the tip you insert, or one of those cheap plastic ones?) OR perhaps there's an issue with the USB socket itself in that it is breaking-making connection to your device.

HTH
WOT

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Does it switch from NAV to the USB screen all on its own?
Yes

How often does it do this? Is it repeatable during a 5 minute road test?
Yes it is repeatable, happens about every minute - IF - I have my Android phone paired via BT. Unpair the phone, problem goes away. Pair the phone and everything works fine if I don't listen to USB thumbdrive. Any other source doesn't impact the NAV screen.

Are you listening to a USB source (thumb drive) at the time?
Yes

Does it do this when you are NOT listening to a USB source?
No

Is it possible you might be touching one of the steering wheel controls to trigger this event? (SRC for instance)
Definitely not

Is it possible the USB device wasn't fully inserted or being moved by glove box contents and was then being "redetected" on occasion (auto-switching you from NAV view to USB)??
No, and I've tried other USB sticks. In any case, it's bluetooth related. There is no interruption in USB audio, the screen just simply leaves the NAV display and shows my USB tune with Gracenote artwork and the song timeline. The screen stays on USB display forever, until I manually hit the NAV button. Then I'm lucky if it stays on NAV for over a minute.

If the issue involved some intermittent connection with the USB stick and/or socket, I would think I'd notice a blip in the audio (unless the radio is buffering) or maybe a quick re-indexing of the catalog at the least). But it acts as if I had manually changed screens.

Last night, driving in unfamiliar territory and *not* listening to USB (because I couldn't afford to not see my route), the whole center stack went dark and rebooted. That was fun. I've had the NAV lock up and become unresponsive before but never reboot.

I've never heard anyone comment on the display switching to the USB screen abnormally before
Here's a few threads,:

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread...ing-selected-screens&highlight=USB+nav+screen

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?17727-Nav-screen-randomly-switches-to-audio-screen-issue

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?65530-2013-Nav-USB-Issue&highlight=usb+nav+screen

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?33121-New-Navigation-Issue&highlight=usb+nav+screen

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?21810-USB-Music-Playback-Issues&highlight=usb+nav+screen

1 - 14 of 14 Posts