GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got an email from OnStar saying they would extend my basic plan for a year for free. Just click this link. I did so, and got thanked for registering.

A month or so later, my plan is about to expire, with no sign online or in the app of the one year extension. In fact the app shows a warning that the plan will expire soon.

So I call OnStar. And get disconnected.

I call them again. I get as far as talking to a human. And get disconnected.

I call them again (from a different phone). I get as far as the agent saying she has to check with a supervisor. She puts me on hold. In the middle of that... I get disconnected.

I call them again. Several times. From two different phones. The call won't even go through or drops before connecting to a human.

I log in to my account. Hey, there's a chat option! I chat with the agent and explain the situation. She says, your plan expires in 5 days. I explain the situation again. She says, oh, for that you have to call OnStar. I tell her I tried doing that multiple times and kept getting disconnected. She said that plans can't be extended via chat.

So let me get this straight. OnStar's main claim to usefulness is that you can call them in an emergency and they will send help. Yet they are so incompetent that it's impossible to talk to them even under non-emergency conditions. Do they honestly expect people to PAY for this nonsense?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Did you try pressing your OnStar button in your vehicle? I’ve always had good luck with that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
OnStar is nearly 100% useless.

Reactions: uchual and CeeW

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
An answer to your original question and the title of this thread would be a resounding YES.

That said, yeah push the OnStar button in the car to contact them.

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac ELR
771 Posts
My experiences have been the exact opposite. Had the MIL come on, pressed OnStar, didn't have service activated, so they gave me a courtesy trial for three months, then transferred me to the department that pulled the codes for me. While I was still on the highway. Towards the end of the trial, they offered me 9.99/mo instead of 15. I declined, and let it expire. Three months ago, they called me, said it's been awhile, would I like to try a trial again? With cold weather arriving, app pre-cond is great, so I said yes. This trial was to end on Jan 7th. I called in to see what they could do, I was prepared to agree to 9.99/mo. Their first offer was 7.99/mo! I said thanks, sign me up.

·
Registered
13,940 Posts
Not to be harsh, if you had a half a brain and could speak fluent English, would you rather be an Onstar representative or hundreds of other jobs that might pay more and have upward mobility? I’m amazed of the wide variety of talent/incompetence I encounter dealing with credit card companies, call centers, or any business office when trying to pay by phone. In contrast, every phone call to Fidelity, the company that manages my 401(k), seems to be answered by to- notch customer service representatives that really know what they’re doing (or at least folks who have a brain rather than just reading a script).

Reactions: uchual and obermd

·
Registered
2017 Volt - Siren Red / Jet Black
10 Posts
Yes. Except for the remote start function in the app. Which is all I really care about.
I agree with the above. Is the remote start function included in the initial free 5-year Basic Plan?

I just acquired a 2017 Volt that came off a 3-year lease. I activated a trial with OnStar (very painful interaction, with scripted jokes and fake laughing, poor English etc.) It is very unclear though if the Remote Start will continue after the trial.

·
Registered
13,940 Posts
I agree with the above. Is the remote start function included in the initial free 5-year Basic Plan?

I just acquired a 2017 Volt that came off a 3-year lease. I activated a trial with OnStar (very painful interaction, with scripted jokes and fake laughing, poor English etc.) It is very unclear though if the Remote Start will continue after the trial.
Yes, remote start was free was for me with the 5 years of basic, but originally I was using the Onstar App, and I think they have since changed to using another app. I no longer commute to work, so I haven't had a need to remote start in a long, long time.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is the remote start function included in the initial free 5-year Basic Plan?
Yes. And after that, the Basic Plan is apparently the minimum plan needed for remote start. I think the retail price is $15/month, which is absolutely not worth it. I'd pay $3 or $4/month.

Which is why it's so ridiculous that I spent half an afternoon trying to contact them to get them to honor their offer of a free year. I'm trying to get $36 worth of services (per my valuation) for free. My time wasted so far is worth FAR more than $36.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yes, the "value" of the remote start is different for everyone. Here in Wisconsin the value goes up a little when I walk outside in windy, single-digit temps.

I'm coming from a Fiat 500e, which had remote start via the app included free, so I kind of got used to it.

If I can park at the office in the right spot, with line of sight, I can often use the key FOB to start the climate, further reducing the amount I would pay for the extra convenience of the app.

My guess is that I'll wait until the trial is up, then play "hardball" on the price, knowing I can survive without it.

Reactions: uchual

·
Registered
13,940 Posts
Yes, the "value" of the remote start is different for everyone. Here in Wisconsin the value goes up a little when I walk outside in windy, single-digit temps.

I'm coming from a Fiat 500e, which had remote start via the app included free, so I kind of got used to it.

If I can park at the office in the right spot, with line of sight, I can often use the key FOB to start the climate, further reducing the amount I would pay for the extra convenience of the app.

My guess is that I'll wait until the trial is up, then play "hardball" on the price, knowing I can survive without it.
If your car is a little out of range, try pointing the key fob under your chin into your skull and pressing. It miraculously increases your key fob range. I originally assumed that the signal was rattling around in my head, shooting out of my eye sockets, but there is a YouTube video with some Brit who shows the science behind it. Apparently even a big tank of water nearby will help range.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I also read that placing the key Fob in my rear, then clenching and pressing the button with my cheeks would help.

It did not seem to increase range, but my coworkers were entertained....:)

·
Registered
13,940 Posts
I also read that placing the key Fob in my rear, then clenching and pressing the button with my cheeks would help.

Remind me never to borrow your car. 💩

·
Registered
1,619 Posts

Thanks for that. I'm having a particularly bad day and I just had to smile and laugh a bit when reading that. Cheers my friend!

·
Registered
16,17 volt
1,002 Posts
Thanks for that. I'm having a particularly bad day and I just had to smile and laugh a bit when reading that. Cheers my friend!
this forum is goofy today with todays posts
cant stop laughing when i read the header
course if i were to say that, customer service would have something to say:)

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
As suggested, I pressed the Onstar button and the call went straight through to a very competent Squirrel. He "escalated" the case and gave me a free month to keep my plan from expiring while the Chief Squirrels figure it out.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I got an email from OnStar saying they would extend my basic plan for a year for free. Just click this link. I did so, and got thanked for registering.

A month or so later, my plan is about to expire, with no sign online or in the app of the one year extension. In fact the app shows a warning that the plan will expire soon.

So I call OnStar. And get disconnected.

I call them again. I get as far as talking to a human. And get disconnected.

I call them again (from a different phone). I get as far as the agent saying she has to check with a supervisor. She puts me on hold. In the middle of that... I get disconnected.

I call them again. Several times. From two different phones. The call won't even go through or drops before connecting to a human.

I log in to my account. Hey, there's a chat option! I chat with the agent and explain the situation. She says, your plan expires in 5 days. I explain the situation again. She says, oh, for that you have to call OnStar. I tell her I tried doing that multiple times and kept getting disconnected. She said that plans can't be extended via chat.

So let me get this straight. OnStar's main claim to usefulness is that you can call them in an emergency and they will send help. Yet they are so incompetent that it's impossible to talk to them even under non-emergency conditions. Do they honestly expect people to PAY for this nonsense?
The reason is so they can keep monitoring your car and using your data against you. You get basically no benefit from their "free" account most anything of usefulness is locked out, but they get to query your car every day and pull it's data. You can cancel the "free" account. But it's a few hoops to do so.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yes. And after that, the Basic Plan is apparently the minimum plan needed for remote start. I think the retail price is $15/month, which is absolutely not worth it. I'd pay $3 or $4/month.

Which is why it's so ridiculous that I spent half an afternoon trying to contact them to get them to honor their offer of a free year. I'm trying to get $36 worth of services (per my valuation) for free. My time wasted so far is worth FAR more than $36.
Well, consider that they have to pay AT&T for a data plan in order to provide this functionality. While I'm sure they get a good discount, the list price for the LTE-M plan is $0.99 per month for 500kB per month, plus a fixed $2 SIM card fee. So, at least $1 is going for the communication cost, unless they get a discount, and possibly more if they need more than 512 kB per month. Given that OnStar wants to make money, they likely need at least $5 per month.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Read my username backwards - and then forwards - and you'll see what I think of OnStar.

Back in 2014 and 2015 I think it was, I spent countless hours documenting, conversing with their programmer managers and eventually programmers showing them evidence of bad data from my 2013 Volt, and even showing them step by stupid step about how just plugging in your Volt and unplugging it to cancel the delayed charge and plugging it in again to charge immediately (I think that was the scenario but it's been years) and how their data gets absolutely wacked. The phone calls and emails were no picnic, as you can imagine, and in the end, no problem I identified was fixed.

Such a service is a good idea but after years of unsatisfactory service, OnStar must be so starved for money (or crackified squirrel nuts to borrow the excellent wonderment of @snic ) now that they and their service is proverbially the worst of the worst.

I only got 1 month of OnStar with my 2020 Bolt, and during the first blue button press, I asked them if they could turn it off today. "Uh, I ... You're saying ... Please hold." Fortunately, the month ran out before I had to listen to more of their crazy talk.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts