GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brand new 2017 Volt Premiere. Am I stuck with using the OnStar Nav? I literally can't type my destination on the screen - I have to use the app or call a stranger? Is that for real? Am I missing something?

Thanks,
Paul

·
Registered
15 Posts
Use the nav app on your phone through carplay or android auto. Problem solved. No maps to update or subscriptions required. In car nav systems are almost always hopelessly outdated by the time cars reach production, so integration with the phone apps prevents this problem. BTW you can voice request nav through the phone app, no typing required.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Use the nav app on your phone through carplay or android auto. Problem solved. No maps to update or subscriptions required. In car nav systems are almost always hopelessly outdated by the time cars reach production, so integration with the phone apps prevents this problem. BTW you can voice request nav through the phone app, no typing required.
How do you voice request android auto without pushing any buttons?

·
Registered
2017 Volt Premier 80k+ Miles
761 Posts
Did you buy the car with the Navigation option? If not, your only other option is Carplay. I like the built in Nav much better than through Carplay, and use it daily. (I've maintained the traffic and weather subscriptions, which feed into the system.)

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
How do you voice request android auto without pushing any buttons?
With Android Auto running, all you have to do is say "OK Google, navigate to ......."
However I'm pretty sure there was a setting somewhere in the phone to activate the "OK Google" command.

·
Registered
2013 Volt
1,688 Posts
Brand new 2017 Volt Premiere. Am I stuck with using the OnStar Nav? I literally can't type my destination on the screen - I have to use the app or call a stranger? Is that for real? Am I missing something?
Paul, if you have the built-in NAV, you can have OnStar send a destination to the NAV, but you don't have to. You can type in a destination or choose from a long list of POIs, or your Phone contacts.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Paul, if you have the built-in NAV, you can have OnStar send a destination to the NAV, but you don't have to. You can type in a destination or choose from a long list of POIs, or your Phone contacts.
Not only that, you can send the destination to the car as either turn-by-turn or in dash nav using the onstar android app, called remote link. >> map

·
Registered
236 Posts
Does anyone know where OnStar nav gets its feed from, e.g. Google, Waze, other?

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
You can't access the factory navigation by voice recognition on a Gen 2?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts