GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are 2 outlets in the garage. Recently both have stopped working with the charge cord. The unit displays the red light when plugged in. Sometimes one of the outlet works, then randomly in charging a few hours later it goes red. Sometimes it works all night. I am using the lower voltage setting and still have this problem. Is the fault with my poor electrical in the house, or with the charging unit itself? I can't afford the 220v system right now and am stuck using the slower charge of the basic recharging cord. Tonight I plugged the cord into an outlet outside and it is working so far. I have no idea what is going on and I am not that educated on this. Thank you for help.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Yes -you should test outlet - but just test the unit are a different location - if it happens at say the car dealer you get a new unit.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
If the EVSE works in a different outlet, the first outlet or wiring is bad.

The two outlets in the garage are probably on the same circuit. So, one of them going bad could affect the other. Likely, the outlet itself is worn and needs a new one.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
There are 2 outlets in the garage. Recently both have stopped working with the charge cord. The unit displays the red light when plugged in. Sometimes one of the outlet works, then randomly in charging a few hours later it goes red. Sometimes it works all night. I am using the lower voltage setting and still have this problem. Is the fault with my poor electrical in the house, or with the charging unit itself? I can't afford the 220v system right now and am stuck using the slower charge of the basic recharging cord. Tonight I plugged the cord into an outlet outside and it is working so far. I have no idea what is going on and I am not that educated on this. Thank you for help.
Time to call an electrician and have them take a look at the garage wiring.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
You likely have cheap, back-stabbed outlets that over time have failed. If your handy, turn off the breaker and replace the outlet with new using the screw terminals or if need be, call a sparky to do that for you

·
Registered
286 Posts
You likely have cheap, back-stabbed outlets that over time have failed. If your handy, turn off the breaker and replace the outlet with new using the screw terminals or if need be, call a sparky to do that for you
This is exactly what happened with me. When I pulled the outlet out it was partially melted and black. Have it checked out if you are not comfortable doing it yourself. You could possibly have a fire start from loose wiring or a fault outlet.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
As others here have posted correctly, you may have a problem with the outlet wiring. The Chevy Volt is a special vehicle and should be treated with good electric feeding. So, if you cannot do it yourself, have a professional review the entire circuit, and replace the outlet with a 20A rated unit, which is stronger even if you only use 12 amps when charging. and be sure the grounding is good, too.

·
Registered
238 Posts

Status Indicators 2011-2012 EVSE
ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1472827998.262870.jpg

Status indicators 2013+ EVSE Gen 1
ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1472827784.763604.jpg

·
Administrator
19,968 Posts
Step one: an inexpensive, plugin outlet tester...

120V circuit tester.jpg

·
Registered
34 Posts
... and replace the outlet with a 20A rated unit, which is stronger even if you only use 12 amps when charging. and be sure the grounding is good, too.
I hope someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that a 20A unit should only be used if the circuit has a 20A breaker and 12 gauge wire. While it seems counter intuitive, I think all 20A receptacles have one T-shaped slot on each side, indicating that it is more heavy duty than a 15A outlet, this is a clue that more power-intensive appliances are OK in that outlet.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A handyman has a cheap outlet tester and has come out before, claiming it tests fine, and there is nothing wrong. one of the outlets has a reset button on it and the other is just a regular single plug. The one with a rest button on the outlet does not work at all with the charger, the other single outlet has worked before but last night either turns red right when it gets plugged in or turns red right when I try charging the car. I'm using an outlet out front now instead.

·
Administrator
19,968 Posts
A handyman has a cheap outlet tester and has come out before, claiming it tests fine, and there is nothing wrong. one of the outlets has a reset button on it and the other is just a regular single plug. The one with a rest button on the outlet does not work at all with the charger, the other single outlet has worked before but last night either turns red right when it gets plugged in or turns red right when I try charging the car. I'm using an outlet out front now instead.
So you have a GFCI outlet (reset button). Those can be finicky with the EVSE (the EVSE also acts as a GFCI for the car) and have been known to trip. Is the other outlet may be connected to the GFCI? Simple test, trip the GFCI, test the other outlet. If it's dead, it's likely connected to the GFCI.

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
So you have a GFCI outlet (reset button). Those can be finicky with the EVSE (the EVSE also acts as a GFCI for the car) and have been known to trip. Is the other outlet may be connected to the GFCI? Simple test, trip the GFCI, test the other outlet. If it's dead, it's likely connected to the GFCI.
Plus, there's long odds that the GFCI in the one outlet is probably also protecting the other. (My kitchen is wired like that.) GFCI and EVSEs seem to fight regularly, to the point where *unprotecting* the EVSE circuit is a good idea.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Plus, there's long odds that the GFCI in the one outlet is probably also protecting the other. (My kitchen is wired like that.) GFCI and EVSEs seem to fight regularly, to the point where *unprotecting* the EVSE circuit is a good idea.
Hello GFCI' 's can definitely be finicky. They don't tell you that in the instructions. I have had problems with gfcis.
My kitchen is the same way. The wiring is a bit different with GFCI so if you're going to replace it with a regular receptacle you better look it up online

1 - 14 of 14 Posts