GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the interests of reducing power consumption with the hatch Open...

Has any one successfully replaced there normal globe with an LED version and
still retained all warning functions etc.?

Ie: Don't want update to LED and cause a number of possible issues if the circuit is expecting a normal globe load for it's purposes.

Cheers!

· Registered
975 Posts
Yellow Line
Tire Bumper Auto part Automotive wheel system Wheel

I added a thin DRL white LED bar in mine back in October, LOVE IT and it never caused any issues. I put black vinyl tape over the lens of the OEM light housing to conceal it (lens only, bulb removed). The wire clipped onto the OEM light socket so no modification of the lamp or wiring. I did drill a tiny 1/8" hole near the LED for the wire to pass thru, but the light really works well. $6 cost.

· Registered
306 Posts
Very cool, would you mind sharing a link on where you purchased these?

Thanks!

View attachment 71817 View attachment 71809

I added a thin DRL white LED bar in mine back in October, LOVE IT and it never caused any issues. I put black vinyl tape over the lens of the OEM light housing to conceal it (lens only, bulb removed). The wire clipped onto the OEM light socket so no modification of the lamp or wiring. I did drill a tiny 1/8" hole near the LED for the wire to pass thru, but the light really works well. $6 cost.

· Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You can't get T-3/4 Wedge bulbs to fit with decent lumens.
The ones that do are very weak and really for instrumentation pilot light type indication.

At lease these strips produce a decent amount of light.

· Registered
276 Posts
I took my light apart and modded in an LED panel.
It's stupid bright and I love it.

· Registered
104 Posts

· Registered
1,622 Posts
I took my light apart and modded in an LED panel.
It's stupid bright and I love it.

Just finished this mod... the LED panel is MUCH brighter. Thanks for the inspiration.

I cut away the angled plastic on the lens but left the metal bracket just in case I ever want to go back. As is, the metal is holding in the LED panel to the lens. I like that extra support.

· Registered
276 Posts
Glad you like it! Mine is going on 2 years with no problems.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.