GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a blue 2017 Premier with 27K miles on the clock. It's the right car for me, although I find myself frustrated by the very slow charging rate.

With Chevy killing the Volt soon I'm contemplating trading the 2017 in for a 2019. I drive a lot, and don't have a charger at home so I'm limited to charging at the office (most of what I do), or when I'm at other public chargers. It would be nice to get more than 5-7 miles of charge when I'm grocery shopping, and since there's resource contention for chargers at the office it would be nice to be able to fill the battery in less time.

Are there other advantages to the 2019? Any disadvantages other than the 2019 blue being less appealing?

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
I have a blue 2017 Premier with 27K miles on the clock. It's the right car for me, although I find myself frustrated by the very slow charging rate.

With Chevy killing the Volt soon I'm contemplating trading the 2017 in for a 2019. I drive a lot, and don't have a charger at home so I'm limited to charging at the office (most of what I do), or when I'm at other public chargers. It would be nice to get more than 5-7 miles of charge when I'm grocery shopping, and since there's resource contention for chargers at the office it would be nice to be able to fill the battery in less time.

Are there other advantages to the 2019? Any disadvantages other than the 2019 blue being less appealing?
Just a few additional features on the 2019 that could be an advantage.

7.2kW onboard charger (standard on Premier, optional on LT)

Power driver's seat with adjustable lumbar support (standard on Premier, optional on LT) Note: Does not include any memory settings for the seat and side mirrors so the power driver's seat is of limited value IMHO.

HD backup camera (an improvement over the previous backup camera but this is not the electronic rear view mirror option that is available on the Bolt).

Improved resolution on the driver information screen and center infotainment screen (as some 2019 owners have reported, the new screens may have different color renderings and contrast than the current screens.)

Tire Pressure Monitor System will honk the horn while filling the tire with air, guaranteed to annoy housemates and neighbors, not sure if this can be disabled. Makes sense for adding air to a tire with low pressure in the dark as there is no need to be able to see and read a tire pressure gauge.

Additional pedestrian warning speaker in the rear of the Volt. Not sure if both speakers are active when moving forward and when moving in reverse. Pedestrian alert noise has been changed from the flying saucer sound effect of the 2016 - 2018 Volt. (Disable this safety feature at you own liability, risk.)

I have probably forgotten something.

I did forget about the Enhance Adaptive Cruise Control (Requires 2019 Volt Premier, DC, DC2.) The enhanced ACC can operate in normal (non-radar, non-camera) cruise control mode when weather and/or road conditions would interfere with ACC operation.

[Edit: Engine Assist Heat can now be deferred until the outside temperature is -13F instead of +14F.]

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
Also ERDTT can now be deferred to -13 F.

So a number of nice improvements. However, if you are really looking for a return on investment (you did not say that you were), you will never get enough additional charging to pay for whatever the cost of upgrading will be.

·
Registered
518 Posts
FWIW, I recently replaced my '17 Premiere Volt with a '19 (lemon-law replacement). While I miss the Citron Green Metallic color of my '17, I really like the changes and improvements in the (sadly last) '19 model. I enjoy the great new features and speed of the data-centric Nav/Infotainment system but am disappointed in the nickel-and-diming that has become of the service subscription options for it. Sure, you can use CarPlay (or Android Auto) instead, but I still like built-in stuff.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ROI is not a primary driver for me. (I think there's a pun in there somewhere, but I can't find it.)

One item in the financial plus column, though, is that I would be starting the warranty clock over. I kind of like the option of having something other than a solid black leather interior.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Why no charging at home? Seems that would be the cheapest option to your problems

Don

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Why no charging at home? I live in a loft condo in a converted warehouse. The physical structure of the building, the current power in the garage quite possibly being inadequate to add a charger, and the complexities of dealing with the HOA are enough of a pain in the butt that I've never bothered trying. I probably should get off my butt and look into it.

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
Nothing wrong with charging at work especially if it does not cost you anything. Is there ever a time that you can't fully recharge your 2017 Volt while at work due to the 3.6kW charging rate? Usually I achieve 3.0kW to 3.1kW when I use commercial chargers due to the use of 208V (three phase power) at those locations while I achieve 3.6kW when I charge at home 240V (residential split phase power.) A full charge would take ~5.5 hours at work.

If you can take advantage of the full tax credit and any CA tax rebates or other incentives it will reduce your cost to switch but you will still be spending thousand of $ to drive a newer Volt vehicle that is essentially the same as your 2017 Volt. You could burn gas at $4 per gallon for the next 20 years and not make up the difference.

·
Registered
502 Posts
GM now not taking orders for 2019 Volts, and I'm looking for one. Any ideas?

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
GM now not taking orders for 2019 Volts, and I'm looking for one. Any ideas?
If you can find a 2019 Volt in an acceptable color with the options you want buy it soon. Be prepared to pay MSRP with no price negotiation or price reduction beyond any GM cash value you may already have built up on a GMAC credit card.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I can usually fully charge the Volt at work, but occasionally the chargers are occupied well into the afternoon. A full charge does take 5-5.5 hours, and my commute is ~66 miles round-trip. Plus, I tend to do road trips and other longer drives. I can take advantage of the full federal tax credit but nothing from California.

There are a couple available in my area that meet my needs.

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
I can usually fully charge the Volt at work, but occasionally the chargers are occupied well into the afternoon. A full charge does take 5-5.5 hours, and my commute is ~66 miles round-trip. Plus, I tend to do road trips and other longer drives. I can take advantage of the full federal tax credit but nothing from California.

There are a couple available in my area that meet my needs.
I am happy I purchased a 2017 Premier with DC, DC2 and Forward Automatic Braking (includes ACC.) For me ACC is the Volt's best (optional) feature. The 7.2 kW onboard charger and the other 2019 optional features are nice but nowhere as important to me as ACC. If my 2017 Volt gets totaled in next few years in an accident I guess I will have to search for a used 2017 - 2019 with ACC. At least until the Tesla Model Y is shipping or if GM surprises with a small EV crossover. (Such a GM vehicle would have to have more comfortable seats than the Bolt and be available with ACC or no dice.)

·
Registered
28 Posts
I traded in my 2017 for a 2019 the end of the year - I like it. I got $6000 off MRSP. I took my my mats, volt shelf (screen I forgot or would have got too) though had to leave the dash cam and HomeLink upgrade. I can use the tax credit and got some other rebates. My 2017 had 38,000 miles and I was getting ready to buy a new set of tires. I like the new info screen and the electric seat and the adaptive cruise - the only thing my 2017 did not have. The other highlights are listed above. Since the Volt is going away and I live where there is very limited charging stations, I needed the range extender. I plan to keep this car for awhile (usually 7-8 years). The Volt has been one of my favorite cars - after a 1978 Datsun 280Z. :cool: I would make the same decision again.

·
Registered
723 Posts
If the power seat came with memory to store several driver settings, and if they had offered the HD cam rearview mirror they offer on the bolt, I would have been tempted...

·
Registered
41 Posts
And don't forget ... that nice $7,500 federal tax credit as long as the car is purchased prior to March 31, 2019. I'm trying to talk my wife into purchasing Volt #3 because of that ... and the fact that I really do like the cars! Gen1 (a.k.a. Sparky) has 178,000 miles on it and no issues of great concern (although my est. range has dropped off compared to last year). Gen2 (a.k.a. Dory) is fun to drive, has longer range and is more "peppy" than Sparky. I'd get the 2019 for the faster charge rate, and power seat, and actually like the new blue exterior color (which looks better in person than in any photos) with porcelain interior color on the premier.

I may perhaps look into whether or not the upgraded charging system can be retrofitted to my 2018 Volt, as I'd read somewhere that GM was going to make that possible, but more research is definitely needed on that topic.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Given your special circumstances I'd get the 2019. I'd also work on getting charging in your parking lot, in the long run that's a problem that needs to be solved. It's one thing to be reliant on non home charging with the Volt but it's not something you would want to do if you ever move up to a BEV.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Obviously the cheapest solution is to figure out the parking issue. Usually there is a spare outlet somewhere in those garages but yeah getting the space every time can be a real pain as I used to live in one of those places and triple park our cars, unless you paid $$$ for a reserved space. Not sure if that's an option for you, but paying for a space might still be less than buying a new car. Or maybe not with the tax credit.

The trade-in on the 2017 may surprise you. I got offered 22K for my 2017 with 23K miles. This was just a few weeks ago. Unfortunately, they would not budge on the 2019 price. Unsurprising with this being the last year and I can tell from monitoring local inventory that they're pretty much flying off the lots.

However, before you automatically believe that you'll get double the charging rate, you need to check the capacities of the chargers you regularly use. Not all of them will take advantage of the Volt's faster charging rate so you should at least make sure you'll get what you pay for.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Obviously the cheapest solution is to figure out the parking issue. Usually there is a spare outlet somewhere in those garages but yeah getting the space every time can be a real pain as I used to live in one of those places and triple park our cars, unless you paid $$$ for a reserved space. Not sure if that's an option for you, but paying for a space might still be less than buying a new car. Or maybe not with the tax credit.

The trade-in on the 2017 may surprise you. I got offered 22K for my 2017 with 23K miles. This was just a few weeks ago. Unfortunately, they would not budge on the 2019 price. Unsurprising with this being the last year and I can tell from monitoring local inventory that they're pretty much flying off the lots.

However, before you automatically believe that you'll get double the charging rate, you need to check the capacities of the chargers you regularly use. Not all of them will take advantage of the Volt's faster charging rate so you should at least make sure you'll get what you pay for.
Aye, the charging cord will be noticeably thicker than the OEM charger if it can do 7.2 kW. The Clipper Creek HCS-40's at work have a cord that's about 3x thicker in diameter than the HCS-20.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
At my wifes previous job, they had free charging. The catch was that there was enough demand that each car only got a two hour time slot. It was basically enough time to cover one way of her commute. If our Volt had the 2x charging speed that the 2019s have, she could have charged fast enough to cover the round trip in the two hour time slot. Doing the math, it would have saved about $200/year in electricity. Easily enough to justify the extra cost of the faster charger. But not enough to justify buying a new car. (OTOH, the HOV stickers on our 2016 have now expired. So upgrading would allow a reset on that front...)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank you all for the feedback! I'm going to go look at the 2019 and then trust my gut on the decision.

I may also go look at the Clarity just for the sake of completeness. I love the Volt but it has two very serious issues for me-- A pillar blind spots that can hide a freakin' bus, and an arm rest that irritates a chronic shoulder issue. It's hard for me to imagine going the Honda route over the Volt but it would be irresponsible not to look before I spend another $35K.

The parking issue is complicated. My garage space is owned by me, so just using a different space doesn't work. The whole building is on one electric meter, so I don't feel particularly good about making the other owners pay for my driving. If I do anything it will likely be to get the ChargePoint one that pays the HOA based on my usage, or see if I can work out some fixed monthly fee for electricity.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts