GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a Bosch DCFC that's installed at the dealership. Is it possible to install something like this in a private residence?

I wonder what this unit goes for used?

Electricity Gas Cable Gadget Modem
Grille Automotive tire Wheel Motor vehicle Tire

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Sure you can. The unit draws 165 amps at the same voltage you have in your home now so if you leave enough headroom, maybe a 300 amp service, it'll work fine.

A 300 amp service is doable, might not be cheap but doable.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Sure you can. The unit draws 165 amps at the same voltage you have in your home now so if you leave enough headroom, maybe a 300 amp service, it'll work fine.

That many amps would probably require a dedicated line, outside of the main home line. Or at least a new breaker installation. Most homes have a 200 - 300 amp breaker panel, tops.

That sort is possible, but you need to speak to a licensed electrician, as well as review how your power is billed.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Possible, yes. The real question is why would you want to do so? The Bolt and Bolt EUV can both fully charge in under 8 hours on a 60 amp (48 amp charging) 240v circuit?

·
Administrator
22,836 Posts
Possible, yes. Financially a good idea, no.

Reactions: axle69 and Zyth

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
Those voltage inputs it might be 3 phase power.

Reactions: axle69

·
Registered
2012 Std w Nav
5,186 Posts
Sure. They're about $15,000 plus installing a second feed to support 200 amp power. You'll be done for probably about $25k. Since using a DCFC at Walmart costs like $8, you'll only need to fast-charge empty to full daily for 10 years to break even.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Nothing is impossible if you have the funds to make it happen. The unit uses single phase power. Many new houses, at least around here are being built with 300 amp services.

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
A long as you have out your calculator how many solar panels for 25KW DC :)
1/4 acre ?

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm not saying that I would do it. I was just thinking what's possible in the future. This dealer is about 15 miles from my house with a free DCFC that's barely being used. If I needed a quick boost on a long trip, I could hop in and charge up. Grab a cup of hazelnut coffee while loading free electrons into my car. I've bought 20 new cars from them, that's the least they could do.

·
Registered
35 Posts

This is a Bosch DCFC that's installed at the dealership. Is it possible to install something like this in a private residence?

View attachment 174923 View attachment 174924

View attachment 174923 View attachment 174924
Another consideration (literally)! Your neighbors might not be super happy about you using up to 25kVA of the capacity of the pad-mount transformer that typically serves 4 households. That capacity might be only 25kVA or perhaps 50kVA in a new neighborhood. Either way, the DC charger would be consuming a large amount and might cause fuses to blow in the service transformer.

·
Registered
2012 Std w Nav
5,186 Posts
Another consideration (literally)! Your neighbors might not be super happy about you using up to 25kVA of the capacity of the pad-mount transformer that typically serves 4 households. That capacity might be only 25kVA or perhaps 50kVA in a new neighborhood. Either way, the DC charger would be consuming a large amount and might cause fuses to blow in the service transformer.
You're going to need a new meter for that level of power change anyway, which means the electric supply utility will have to be involved, and THEY will figure out what the pad capacity is/needs. Sometimes a utility will overspec meters vs box capacity (and transformer capacity in aggregate) but they generally try to keep them lined up precisely for this reason.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts