GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always liked the concept of the Volt, however I'm not sure how much longer GM can keep production of this type of car with low sales. Anyone know if GM will continue to move forward with further development and eventually manufacture a Gen 3 model?

·
Registered
390 Posts
The short answer is nobody knows right now, it's too early.

The only bits of information we have is I believe GM has licensed the Voltec technology to Honda so there's a good chance we could see some of it implemented in future Honda vehicles. Many have also speculated GM will be implementing Voltec into other non-Volt vehicles although nothing has been confirmed.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
I've always liked the concept of the Volt, however I'm not sure how much longer GM can keep production of this type of car with low sales. Anyone know if GM will continue to move forward with further development and eventually manufacture a Gen 3 model?
So far GM has sold more than 100,000 Volts. That's about $3.5 Billion based on average retail price of $35K out the dealer's door. I wouldn't call that low sales.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Hello. They (GM) could or should develop a 'commercial' or a 'marketing plan' for what they have done so far. Have not seen any official reasons why they do not market the Volt. Some speculations. Maybe they do not wish to make another MFG plant like Tesla has done.

I would assume that Gen 3 is already on someones drawing board

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
If GM is like other large corporations, there is a team planning the next Volt and a team planning to move Volt owners to BEVs.

Senior management will pick a plan as late as possible so that they have as much information as possible. For example, who would have predicted the drop in crude oil prices?

Another example: There will soon be a new administration in Washington. Will the winners follow through on promises of protectionism and tariff imported cars?

Why guess when you'll soon know for sure?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If GM is like other large corporations, there is a team planning the next Volt and a team planning to move Volt owners to BEVs.

Senior management will pick a plan as late as possible so that they have as much information as possible. For example, who would have predicted the drop in crude oil prices?

Another example: There will soon be a new administration in Washington. Will the winners follow through on promises of protectionism and tariff imported cars?

Why guess when you'll soon know for sure?
The incentives on this car scare me a bit. It'd be interesting to know what GM was targeting their average sales price to be versus actual sales price. I wish this car was selling without incentives, but seeing 20% discounts, tells me Chevy is having a tough time moving this car at higher prices.

I think the wild car is oil prices. I don't own a Volt, but with fuel prices near $2/2.50 it's hard to justify a costly car like this.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Wasn't the 20% for 2016s? They were already shipping 2017s so they would have had to give big incentives to get rid of the 2016s.

·
Administrator
19,969 Posts
Yes, there is a Gen3 in development.

The Corvette sells in numbers equal or less than the Volt. Hasn't been discontinued.

For 2015, over 15,000 Volts were sold, ranking it #175 on a list of 288 models sold in the US. So 113 models sold less than the Volt. http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2016/01/usa-vehicle-sales-by-model-2015-calendar-year-december.html

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, there is a Gen3 in development.

The Corvette sells in numbers equal or less than the Volt. Hasn't been discontinued.

For 2015, over 15,000 Volts were sold, ranking it #175 on a list of 288 models sold in the US. So 113 models sold less than the Volt. http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2016/01/usa-vehicle-sales-by-model-2015-calendar-year-december.html
I get that, but there's been a number of vehicle lines that were cut with higher sales figures (taking into account all the different brands).

Perhaps as someone above mentioned, the costs will be shared among different car classes using Volt drive trains.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I sure hope they have a Gen 3 in the works. Be a shame to let it die just as people are finally starting to hear about, and understand it. But even more, I hope they are working on putting full Voltec into larger vehicles (Malibu, Impala, Equinox, Traverse).

There will be a place in the market for EREV's for years to come, that is until BEV's can go 400+ miles on a charge, be fully recharged in the time it takes to eat fast food, haul 5-8 passengers comfortably, and tow a trailer...all at a competitive price.

·
4,851 Posts
but seeing 20% discounts, tells me Chevy is having a tough time moving this car at higher prices.
The 20% discount was fleet-wide at Chevy on 2016 models, not just the Volt.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
A couple years back GM said 20 to 24 thousand sales annually would be fine. Looks like that is about where we are.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I sure hope they have a Gen 3 in the works. Be a shame to let it die just as people are finally starting to hear about, and understand it. But even more, I hope they are working on putting full Voltec into larger vehicles (Malibu, Impala, Equinox, Traverse).

There will be a place in the market for EREV's for years to come, that is until BEV's can go 400+ miles on a charge, be fully recharged in the time it takes to eat fast food, haul 5-8 passengers comfortably, and tow a trailer...all at a competitive price.
I'm hoping even if oil stays low, the new 2024? CAFE standards will force that, but I heard the those new CAFE figures will most likely be reduced.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I think the wild car is oil prices. I don't own a Volt, but with fuel prices near $2/2.50 it's hard to justify a costly car like this.
My Solar PV is paid for, my electricity is free. So gasoline has to cost zero dollars per gallon in order to compete with my Volt. Get a solar PV if you get a Volt.

·
Administrator
19,969 Posts
I get that, but there's been a number of vehicle lines that were cut with higher sales figures (taking into account all the different brands).

Perhaps as someone above mentioned, the costs will be shared among different car classes using Volt drive trains.
I'm pretty sure GM see's the Voltec drive-train as important to it's future, Notice how it's being used for new GM Chevy and Cadillac hybrids as well as the Volt. It's also needed for meeting fleet CAFE standards.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My Solar PV is paid for, my electricity is free. So gasoline has to cost zero dollars per gallon in order to compete with my Volt. Get a solar PV if you get a Volt.
Just got solar earlier this year. This would be the reason why to buy a Volt. Tried to convince a friend of mine who has a 9Kw system to buy an electric car, but no go for him.

·
Registered
330 Posts

·
2,356 Posts
Development of Gen 2 started immediately after launch of Gen 1. So yes, they'll be working on Gen 3 right now.

Whether the project continues depends on what happens with EVs over the next five years. If the Model 3, Leaf 2.0, Bolt, etc. really come to dominate the plug-in market as some are predicting, then we may not see a Gen 3.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts