GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is GM advancing the Voltec powertrain at a much faster rate than anticipated?

2014 Chevrolet Equinox, GMC Terrain Not Receiving eAssist

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2012/12/2014-chevrolet-equinox-gmc-terrain-not-receiving-eassist.html

GMC communications manager Joe LaMuraglia has confirmed that the Equinox and Terrain will not be benefiting from eAssist

Granite.jpg

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Seems like kind of a leap to me. Plus, if that's what the thing really looks like, they are DOA IMHO. Double plus UGLY.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Are you trying to say that they are using Voltec instead of eAssist? I thought we already had a good idea that there would be a Voltec Equinox (at least as far as common sense would take us).

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are you trying to say that they are using Voltec instead of eAssist? I thought we already had a good idea that there would be a Voltec Equinox
This is the argument being made at various web sites. I am asking the question to get news and opinion.

Double plus UGLY
That's the GMC Granite. Bob Lutz has mentioned a Voltec Orlando, and we have seen the MPV5 concept.

·
Registered
278 Posts
This is the argument being made at various web sites. I am asking the question to get news and opinion.

That's the GMC Granite. Bob Lutz has mentioned a Voltec Orlando, and we have seen the MPV5 concept.
Maybe with a beef-up Voltec drivetrain (read ¨ELR¨ ) why not?

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
The eAssist seems like a cheaper way of implementing a hybrid platform, but if GM is abandoning eAssist, they are either going non-hybrid or a Voltec variant. Regardless, the Voltec will provide better efficiency, and with Obama's reelection, there can be no doubt about the continuation of CAFE requirements.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I think Lutz had mentioned that Volt 2.0 was already in the works on the new Cruze/Volt/Equinox/Terrain platform. Considering the Voltec powertrain will already be fitted on the platform on the Volt, and we know from the MP5 concept that GM is thinking about a crossover-ish type vehicle, it only makes sense. Now whether or not they make a Voltec Equinox or just make a whole new crossover remains to be seen.

I think the small crossover segment (Rav4, Cx-5, CRV, Equinox) is desperate for higher mileage. I was just plugging around today and hints of a RAV4 Hybrid are out there along with a TDI Tiguan. I'm seriously considering a downsize for our Highlander and I would love to get something with really good gas mileage, whether it's a plug-in or hybrid or diesel.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
I think Lutz had mentioned that Volt 2.0 was already in the works on the new Cruze/Volt/Equinox/Terrain platform. Considering the Voltec powertrain will already be fitted on the platform on the Volt, and we know from the MP5 concept that GM is thinking about a crossover-ish type vehicle, it only makes sense. Now whether or not they make a Voltec Equinox or just make a whole new crossover remains to be seen.

I think the small crossover segment (Rav4, Cx-5, CRV, Equinox) is desperate for higher mileage. I was just plugging around today and hints of a RAV4 Hybrid are out there along with a TDI Tiguan. I'm seriously considering a downsize for our Highlander and I would love to get something with really good gas mileage, whether it's a plug-in or hybrid or diesel.
Well first GM is actually already starting work (and confirmed) on Voltec 2.0 and 3.0. Auto companies run very long product development cycles and it's not uncommon to have people working two generations ahead.

Second the Volt is built on the Delta II platform. There will be no new vehicles on this platform after the ELR. The Volt 2.0 will be built on GM's new D2XX platform. The first vehicle to be built on D2XX will be the 2015 Chevrolet Cruze. The current Equnox/Terrain/Captiva is built on the Theta platform but they too will move to a variant of the D2XX platform. I too hope and wish to see an Voltec MPV and / or CUV on the next platform.

·
Administrator
20,884 Posts
I read that GM quietly killed all or most hybrid versions of their trucks/SUV's. Apparently the demand was close to zero, plus there is that inventory problem. So either GM has backed away from hybrid versions for these vehicles, or they are going full Votec (not the same as full-monty, but perhaps just as daring).

With no real news on their EV plans past the Volt, Spark, and ELR, it's hard to say, but fun to guess.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I think Lutz had mentioned that Volt 2.0 was already in the works on the new Cruze/Volt/Equinox/Terrain platform.
The problem I see is that Mr Lutz is not at the commands anymore. And I think that his successor has a very different
vision about such powertrains.

Can anybody find statements from Mr Akerson indicating he his a promoter and believer of the Voltec?
Have you hear about Voltec announcments lately? GM silently killed his hybrids line. Could it also be the case for
Voltecs?
Have you hear from Mr Akerson that GM makes money from every Volt sold and thus this is the way to GM's futur?
Did anybody heard that the Volt production will be boosted to meet with rising demand?

Francois
B2653

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Can anybody find statements from Mr Akerson indicating he his a promoter and believer of the Voltec?
Dan Akerson has been a strong supporter of the Volt:

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1073845_gm-ceo-akerson-were-staying-the-course-on-the-chevy-volt

GM CEO Akerson: We're Staying The Course On The Chevy Volt

"We are not backing away from this product,"

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/alison-van-diggelen/gm-ceo-dan-akerson-on-che_b_1335538.html

But his position on climate change is clear. During a Commonwealth Club interview, he confessed that he "believes" in global warming, adding, "Several GM executives say 'you don't say that in public.' Well, this may surprise you but my underwear doesn't have GM stamped on it... I am an individual and I do have my own convictions."

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/09/business/gms-chief-daniel-akerson-shakes-up-automakers-staid-traditions.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Mr. Akerson wanted to act quickly.

“This could be a defining moment for us,” he said, according to one participant on the call.

After debating their options, the executives decided to publicly defend the Volt’s safety, and take the unusual step of offering free loaner cars to owners during the government’s inquiry into possible postcrash fires in the Volt’s lithium-ion battery.

It was an aggressive — and potentially risky — strategy for any car company in the midst of a safety inquiry. “It was very much out of the box,” said one analyst, Joseph Phillippi of the firm Auto Trends.

·
4,877 Posts
Regardless, it's fun to dream.

I hope GM quickly increases to a half dozen core Voltec models for each segment. It seems like a no brainer if the price point is right.

·
Administrator
20,884 Posts
And here's some positive talk from the Senior VP of Product Development at GM.

She should have a good idea of what's going on there.

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2012/11/gm-aims-for-500000-electrified-vehicles-by-2017.html
"What started out as a technology proof point… has turned into a real-world starting point to push EV technology further and faster than we thought possible five years ago,” she said. “The unique propulsion technology pioneered in the Volt – the same technology that will be featured in the Cadillac ELR – will be a core piece of our electrification strategy going forward.”

Yes, that sounds encouraging. I hope it's not just talk.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
It's not just talk. GM has a broad strategy of electrification from eAssist to EREV to BEV, as Mary Barra, etc have said.

The problem with the full size hybrids is the bang for the bucks was not there. It was a very expensive way to only increase MPG a little bit. Displacement on demand and other more conventional technology makes much more sense economically.

To me the lesson learned on hybrids on large vehicles was either very mild like BAS eAssist or plug-in EREV. The middle ground has all the expense of a EREV except the large battery pack. It's just not a good solution because on trucks we have to run at near peak power continuously to meet tow ratings. So the hybrid is really just regenerative braking energy recovery and that's about it. It doesn't let you downsize the engine to meet average power like we do in the Volt. Without a significant battery pack you don't have enough electric energy to matter at high power loadings for other than a very short time (i.e. launch from a stop).

·
Registered
278 Posts
It's not just talk. GM has a broad strategy of electrification from eAssist to EREV to BEV, as Mary Barra, etc have said.

The problem with the full size hybrids is the bang for the bucks was not there. It was a very expensive way to only increase MPG a little bit. Displacement on demand and other more conventional technology makes much more sense economically.

To me the lesson learned on hybrids on large vehicles was either very mild like BAS eAssist or plug-in EREV. The middle ground has all the expense of a EREV except the large battery pack. It's just not a good solution because on trucks we have to run at near peak power continuously to meet tow ratings. So the hybrid is really just regenerative braking energy recovery and that's about it. It doesn't let you downsize the engine to meet average power like we do in the Volt. Without a significant battery pack you don't have enough electric energy to matter at high power loadings for other than a very short time (i.e. launch from a stop).
Does an Orlando (Cruze) or even Trax (Sonic) platforms, would be consider as a ¨large¨ vehicles for EREV purpose?

From an hybrid point of view here, I presume large means with some towing capacity: Crossover, SUV, trucks & vans.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Does an Orlando (Cruze) or even Trax (Sonic) platforms, would be consider as a ¨large¨ vehicles for EREV purpose?

From an hybrid point of view here, I presume large means with some towing capacity: Crossover, SUV, trucks & vans.
To me large means full size truck with full size tow capability (> 8000 pounds). The hybrid Silverado and Tahoe were down to around 6000 pounds. Which is one of the reasons that they didn't sell well in my opinion.

Even the midsize Traverse can tow over 5000 pounds. To me the question on large vehicles is "will the OEMs compromise the specs for a hybrid/EREV or not". Right now, I don't see it happening. The average customer wants the same capabilities in a hybrid/EREV that they do in a conventional vehicle and that means big expensive batteries to make it work.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Here's hoping Envia or LiS battery improvements come sooner rather than later.. 70+ kWh with the same mass budget would be nice..

(as would a purpose-built genset, and lighter weight body panels..)

·
Registered
278 Posts
When Toyota Canada announced their 2013 RAV4 mrsp the Dec 21, 2012, they ¨forgot" *** to price their RAV4 EV for the Canadian market, proudly built in the Woodstock, ON ass'y plant...

*** N/A in Canada
---

Is the Buick Encore an option for you?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Regardless, it's fun to dream.

I hope GM quickly increases to a half dozen core Voltec models for each segment. It seems like a no brainer if the price point is right.

Sorry for resurrecting this old thread. Are there any plans for Equinox or Traverse-size vehicle from GM with the Voltec powertrain?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts