GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After seeing and hearing about the gen 2 Volt for almost a year now, I've started to feel different about my gen 1. It feels a little like driving an antique. Which is silly considering all the advanced engineering it contains. It was the first Volt and was sort of a proof-of-concept. It has a certain symbolic significance. It's still a great car of course. I wonder if anyone else feels that way.

·
Registered
286 Posts
We have been looking at a Gen2 Volt as well, and have some of the same feelings, in the end we opted to keep our 2013 Volt and instead look at installing solar panels on the house.

Just seemed silly to get rid of a car that perfectly suits or needs, is only 3 years old and only has 22K miles on it. We will probably wait until next year and take a serious look at the Bolt.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
I haven't even considered anything else just for this reason. Our car is just as awesome as the day we got it. Maybe more so.
+1

I have nothing bad to say about it. I can't see enough reason to drop it for something shiny and new, when that itself will stop being shiny and new when it is two years old as well.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
No. I get people in brand new priuses gawking and asking questions about My 2014.

I have people complimenting me on the crystal red metallic paint.

I have people wanting to be me, with my volt.

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
Coming from any other car, I would say the Gen 2 is a no-brainer, but it isn't enough of an upgrade for me compared to the Gen 1. My focus is on the Bolt, which is truly an advancement. That being said, either the Gen 1 or Gen 2 Volts are so far ahead of any of their competitors that you really can't go wrong with either.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
My Gen 1 fits my needs so perfectly, going to a Gen 2 would be to no advantage. Besides, it still gets a lot of looks and questions. ;)

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
I love my 2017 Volt, purchased in March. It is improved in almost every way. However, if I could see both perspectives clearly, I would say it doesn't make good sense to dump a Gen1 just because of the new and shiny. My children have both of our 2012 Volts after having their previous vehicles declared 'totaled'. We gave our 31 year old son one Volt, in part, because of college finances (a path he never completed) we never had to pay out. We sold the other Volt to our daughter at KBB prices. We did this in part to get her out of SUVs, which she seemingly cannot handle. I like the upgrades of the new Volt, especially the increased mileage on both electric and gas, and I like the tech and safety upgrades. But absent our offspring's needs, a gen1 Volt would still be in the stable. If the reality you face does not involve a commute that involves burning gas everyday, then please avert your eyes from the new and shiny. As previously mentioned, wait a bit longer until 200+ mile BEVs become available.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Look around you. I am one of only a half-dozen drivers who own Volt technology in my county. The rest of the population is running around in the internal combustion antiques. A new leap in technology will likely follow in five years.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I drove my friend's new-to-her 2002 Saturn SL1 today. Then I got in my '12 Volt. If you ever feel like your Gen 1 feels old, try this. Next to the Saturn, my Volt felt like the Starship Enterprise.

·
Registered
31 Posts
The gen2 I got is nice, but I find myself staring at the gen1 every time I see one. There is something iconic about them that the gen2 does not share.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
The new model envy thing is not at all unique to the volt. People always want the latest and greatest! I just bought new tires for my Gen1 so I must keep it a while longer now.

·
Registered
181 Posts
My 2014 Volt has been rock solid. 17,000 plus miles and a total of 45 gallons of gas used. The car fits my driving routine perfectly and there would be little to no benefit in upgrading to a 2017. The technology feels state of the art compared to our 2012 Subaru and 2006 Mercedes SLK. I will probably get my wife into a new Volt when it's time to replace the Subaru, but until then, my 2014 feels as new as the day I took delivery. The best car purchase decision I ever made!

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
I looked/sat in a 2017 Volt. Very nice. But it doesn't really offer me anything over what I have. Sure, the EV range increase would be great and I'd love MyLink,, but what I would really like is a more room. Give me a Voltec CUV with a 40 mile EV range and I'm there. The Bolt is on our list, though.

And yeah, I still look at my cars and marvel how well they work, and to me, how good they look.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I really like the improved range and the ability to run on regular instead of premium. However, they recently installed charging stations at work so I no longer have the situation where I run out of electric for the last few miles. I don't "need" the enhancements of Gen 2, and with luck will be able to leap frog to Gen 3 when it eventually comes out.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
My 2013 Gen I Volt is a replacement for a 1981 Comutacar, My long distance vehicle used to be a 1982 diesel suburban with a 5 speed manual cludged in
If you feel like your volt is old get a ride in a Comutacar, mine was a rare highway type, would go full blast at 50mph.

I've been thinking of getting a cheap beater volt (maybe salvage) and retiring other vehicles that are getting long in the tooth.

I do miss my ghetto caddilac suburban, it always ran smooth as silk and loud as hell.

·
Registered
294 Posts
For me, I don't like to buy ANY product that is too early in its development cycle. I bought a '15 Volt (hooker lipstick red) and it's been relatively trouble free. If I were to get a 2nd generation Volt, I'd wait until the '18 model (or '19) rolls around. Likewise, I'd bump a Bolt purchase to 1.5-2 years after it first comes out.

I've seen too many cases in which early adopters pay high prices for buggy products.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
The gen2 I got is nice, but I find myself staring at the gen1 every time I see one. There is something iconic about them that the gen2 does not share.
I can understand that feeling. Gen 2 has nice technical improvements, but the original has the style and the distinction of being the original. If I were to think about actually trading in I know that walking away from my gen 1 would be painful. When I walk away from this car it will have to be for something substantially better, both on the inside and on the outside.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I am pleased with my Gen 1 and plan on keeping it till 2024 or so. By then it may definitely start looking its age.

·
Registered
13,560 Posts
The new model envy thing is not at all unique to the volt. People always want the latest and greatest! I just bought new tires for my Gen1 so I must keep it a while longer now.
+1. New 18" wheels makes the volt gen1 definitely a keeper. I also keep threatening to dip the entire car in deep color shifting purple pearl...maybe if I lose me job and have plenty of time on my hands.

Although I can use the extra EV miles on my 50 mile per day commute, the extra cost of a new car hardly covers the meager savings. The big step was swapping the 20 mpg Deville for the Volt.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts