GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi !

I'm a new owner of a Volt 2017 (and it's the best car I ever had, such fun to drive)

My problem is with Carplay. I have a iphone 6 and I must say carplay works very well for several days then problems appears like the Music app displaying a black screen. I have to kill the app on the iphone then it works well again.

But sometimes, when I plug the usb cable, it looks like Carplay doesn't start at all or start then close, then start again in a infinite loop. The projection icon switch the carplay, then to default, etc.. At the same time, my phone vibrates every time the icon switch. It's the vibration that happens when you plug your usb cable for charging. It's the same behaviour as if I was unplugging and plugging the cable over and over again.

To resolve my problem I have the restart my iphone then everything is working.

I have my car for three weeks and I think I rebooted it three times so far...

Anyone has the same problem ?

I have the latest IOS version

Thank you and sorry if my English isn't perfect

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And BTW, the problems always occurs at the time I start the car and connect the phone. Once it's working, it never crashes while driving.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Actually I have had the same issues with iphone 6s that i have, in fact today actually. Im not sure if it has to do with using a non-apple cable or just a glitch with the system

·
Banned
398 Posts
As long as you have a decent cable it should not be the problem. Carplay is not buggy- MyLink is buggy. Chevy has an increasingly large stack of MyLink- problems: CarPlay, Android Auto, BT, audio shutoff that they seem incapable or unwilling to provide solutions for.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Been using CarPlay with MyLink for close to 3 months now. You'll do yourself a favor and turn BlueTooth off before plunging your iPhone into the car's USB Port. To me Carplay appears to launch more reliably with BlueTooth off. Was using the free 3 months of OnStar WiFi data as well over the same time period. The free 3 month plan is now depleted and just using LTE now. CarPlay and MyLink also appear to be more stable with BlueTooth off and using LTE for data. Not saying its perfect with BlueTooth off but appears to work as planned 8 out of ten times when plugging the phone in. With bluetooth on CarPlay only worked as planned 2 of of ten times.

No MyLink software updates done to car. Just one radio reset through the Volt Advisor. CarPlay and MyLink appeared to work as planned after the radio reset but went back to being unreliable the next day. In short if you want to use CarPlay, do it with BlueTooth turned off. If you don't want to use CarPlay leave BlueTooth on.

Just my observation.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I turned off bluetooth the second day :)

For the last 3 days, I've been using a genuine apple cable. I connect/disconnect my phone several times a day. So far, it's been working flawlessly but it still too soon to say it resolves my problem. But...so far so good!

·
Registered
110 Posts
I've encountered some weird problems using my iPhone 5s (holding out to upgrade) on my 2017 Volt. One thing that I've been trying, is to make sure all of the apps are close before I plug it in. I may trying turning off the Bluetooth as well.

·
Registered
265 Posts
For the last 3 days, I've been using a genuine apple cable. I connect/disconnect my phone several times a day. So far, it's been working flawlessly but it still too soon to say it resolves my problem. But...so far so good!
Yes. I'd been using an Amazon Basics brand Lightning cable and although it's Apple certified and made by a large company, it was still buggy with my CarPlay system.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I started using CarPlay for awhile (iPhone 6s Plus) after I got my Volt, but so many of the features were slow to respond--like skipping a track on a playlist took at least 15 seconds.

I just use bluetooth for everything now--it works much better and has all the same functionalities as Carplay. You can still text people if you have the "Hey, Siri" function available, and the phone works via bluetooth.

·
Banned
398 Posts
I started using CarPlay for awhile (iPhone 6s Plus) after I got my Volt, but so many of the features were slow to respond--like skipping a track on a playlist took at least 15 seconds.

I just use bluetooth for everything now--it works much better and has all the same functionalities as Carplay. You can still text people if you have the "Hey, Siri" function available, and the phone works via bluetooth.
Yup It's BT Audio for me. Do you find your setup begins playing random music, any music, after a call?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Curious. For me CarPlay is sometimes slow to start up, but then everything works reasonably quickly, including skipping tracks on a playlist, which is pretty much immediate.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So....it's wasn't the cable. After few days of perfection, it was beginning to slow down then it wasn't connecting anymore.

I tried to connect/disconnect several times. The icon was switching to Carplay then back to projection or the screen stay black.

I rebooted my phone. Connect/disconnect again then it finally worked but it's still not as stable as the last few days.

I can't find a pattern. Car problem or my iphone ? I don't know...This is really frustrating

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2016 Volt and an iPhone 6S (iOS 9.3.2) and have the same type of issues with CarPlay as mentioned in this thread. The issues are so random that it is hard to pinpoint any pattern as to what is the problem? I've tried multiple genuine Apple Lightening cables, rebooting the iPhone but the issue happens from time to time. I also have occasional issues with BT where I'll be listening to XM Radio and roughly every 5 minutes or so the system will switch to BT audio and start playing a random song? It's so weird and so random I can't make heads or tails as to what causes it? Hopefully a future MyLink and or ApplePlay update will correct these issues but time will tell...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think I may have found a pattern. When I think about it, it seems the problem occurs more often when I'm using my car several times of day. Looks like a lot of connect/disconnect in a short lapse of time may cause this. Then, not using my car for several hours seems fix it.

Like yesterday, I had the problem until I arrived at home, plugged the car then this morning...no more problem. It's connecting very fast again.

·
Registered
13 Posts
2016 Heather Grey since October

I had some initial stability issues. Was advised to ensure Siri was enabled in the restrictions section also. Once I changed that setting I have had no issues on both an iPhone 5 and a 6s

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
New problem this morning I never had.

All applications are working except two things :

1- When using the phone app, I ear no sound when I'm calling someone
2- Siri isn't working. Can't read my messages, can't listen to what I'm saying. Nothing. I see Siri screen but whatever I say nothing happens for 5 seconds and goes back to the previous screen

Tried to disconnect/reconnect several times, rebooted my phone. Unpair/pair again my phone in carplay settings. Nothing works. Now I'm waiting for the complete shutdown of my system in my car and I'll try again later...

anyone had that problem ?

·
Banned
398 Posts
When you reboot your phone, do you power off or do a hard shutdown? You need to do a hard shutdown otherwise the phone doesn't actually reboot. Hold the home button and the lock button for about 5 seconds.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts