GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a bit of a dilemma, a local dealer has the car I want.. Loaded up PK1/PK2, Nav and ACC in Summit white. They also have a a PK1/PK2, Nav, WITHOUT ACC in Iridescent Pearl. They will sell me the Iridescent Pearl for $1500 cheaper, because it is aged inventory and Chevy is giving some cash back on those. I wouldn't pay extra for the pearl (I have not seen it, may not like it anyway). So the long and the short is I would be basically paying $1500 more for ACC. Did anyone get ACC and not like it? i.e. Don't like the way it works or just don't find it that useful?

·
Administrator
19,980 Posts
Some rave about ACC and apparently can't live life without it. Some even claim to have zero interest in buying a car without it. I have never owned a car with it, so I would not miss it. Ignorance is bliss?

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I have a bit of a dilemma, a local dealer has the car I want.. Loaded up PK1/PK2, Nav and ACC in Summit white. They also have a a PK1/PK2, Nav, WITHOUT ACC in Iridescent Pearl. They will sell me the Iridescent Pearl for $1500 cheaper, because it is aged inventory and Chevy is giving some cash back on those. I wouldn't pay extra for the pearl (I have not seen it, may not like it anyway). So the long and the short is I would be basically paying $1500 more for ACC. Did anyone get ACC and not like it? i.e. Don't like the way it works or just don't find it that useful?
Yes. AAC is worth $1500 if you do highway driving or drive in moderately heavy traffic.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Sounds like it would be even cheaper through costco...Shop around other dealers...$1500 isn't that great, if it's a 2016 it possibly could be getting 16% off from GM which is more than than $1500 so the dealer might not be even giving you the full discount anyways...

Seriously email 10 of your nearest dealers, I'd be shocked if you could work a deal of more than $1500 and if not go through Costco which is selling under invoice right now...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds like it would be even cheaper through costco...Shop around other dealers...$1500 isn't that great, if it's a 2016 it possibly could be getting 16% off from GM which is more than than $1500 so the dealer might not be even giving you the full discount anyways...

Seriously email 10 of your nearest dealers, I'd be shocked if you could work a deal of more than $1500 and if not go through Costco which is selling under invoice right now...
Both are back of MSRP, by a decent amount... and have similar MSRP... one has Paint the other ACC... its just that they can go $1500 even lower on the pearl one because of money back from GM, due to aged inventory. I am leaning towards ACC

·
Registered
197 Posts
As already said, if you do extended highway driving or heavy traffic driving, get it. It works really well. I would never buy another car without ACC. It takes a lot of stress out of driving and makes more of your attention available for driving. You don't realize how much effort goes into maintaining the correct speed until you don't have to do it anymore.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Keep in mind that ACC has another advantage besides the cruise control following mode, which you may or may not use. ACC also means that the car has a more sophisticated Forward Automatic Braking system, guided by radar instead of just the optical camera, whose capability is designated as "Low Speed" automatic braking. Many car manufacturers, including GM, have agreed that most cars will be equipped with the more sophisticated system by 2022, and I would expect that insurance companies will start recognizing this in the form of lower collision premiums.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Keep in mind that ACC has another advantage besides the cruise control following mode, which you may or may not use. ACC also means that the car has a more sophisticated Forward Automatic Braking system, guided by radar instead of just the optical camera, whose capability is designated as "Low Speed" automatic braking. Many car manufacturers, including GM, have agreed that most cars will be equipped with the more sophisticated system by 2022, and I would expect that insurance companies will start recognizing this in the form of lower collision premiums.
THIS. See if your insurance rates will be lower with ACC.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
I really, really like ACC. It was a $2k option on ELR. I wouldn't leave home without it!

ACC is best in traffic. On the open road regular cruise control is good enough. So, it depends on your drive cycle if ACC is worth it.

I actually didn't know that my car had ACC until I started reading the manual. I guess ignorance IS bliss.

Other advantages are the lower set speed and it works down to stopped. Regular cruise can't be set below ~35mph.

·
Registered
261 Posts
IMO, AC is a must. The Volt's AC is the best automated AC system I've ever seen. But, I've always lived in warm climates and hate the wind blowing things around in the car.

Somehow is like magic to be stopped waiting at traffic lights knowing the ICE is not fighting the AC by throwing off all that heat.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
IMO, AC is a must. The Volt's AC is the best automated AC system I've ever seen. But, I've always lived in warm climates and hate the wind blowing things around in the car.

Somehow is like magic to be stopped waiting at traffic lights knowing the ICE is not fighting the AC by throwing off all that heat.
I believe you're confusing "Air Conditioning" with "Adaptive Cruise Control"...Pretty sure A/C is standard on all Volt, ACC is unfortunately reserved for top Premier trim equipped with C1 & C2

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
I'd get the ACC. Even if you don't use it you'll likely pick up the difference on the back end, and it's likely you'll find you use it.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Both are back of MSRP, by a decent amount... and have similar MSRP... one has Paint the other ACC... its just that they can go $1500 even lower on the pearl one because of money back from GM, due to aged inventory. I am leaning towards ACC
I hear ya, my point was I'm sure we can find you another ACC Volt for $1500 less...Many have bought Volts in Cali for $4K below MSRP and had them shipped with a few in FL reporting they could find shipping for $700 if they shopped around...It's also worth exploring Costco because it requires minimal work...BTW, check for a private offer, they were on but could now be off...

·
Registered
124 Posts
I also waited to order our Volt until ACC was available in April. Like others, I still think it was worth the extra wait. In fact, I just tried it out the other day and have to say it works well both on the highway and stop-n-go traffic. That said, it did take a little bit of trust on my part to let the car stop me while in stop-n-go traffic. Admittedly, I still had my foot hovering over the brake pedal until I got comfortable with the Volt making the stops for me. :p

A few observations with the ACC:

1. Obviously, ACC is canceled if you hit the brake. I just didn't realize it was also canceled if you hit the gas too. My cruise control in my truck isn't canceled if you hit the gas which is my only other comparison.
2. You need a car in front of you with stop-n-go traffic when you come to red lights/stop signs/etc as it won't stop otherwise. That's probably also obvious to most.
3. You can resume either with the gas pedal or hitting the resume button. I prefer the resume button as you can almost do one-handed driving that way.
4. You can't adjust your set speed while stop.

My only gripe if you want to call it one is that you need to be aware of your set speed when making transitions from highway to town. You don't want the car trying to accelerate to your highway set speed of say 65 mph between stop lights in town. ;) This will also help reduce any hard braking the car may do between lights/etc unless someone cuts you off immediately. I also suspect that ACC shouldn't be used during bad weather which is no different than when using cruise control. I'm sure most of this is in the manual but I had a trial by fire the other day on a long road trip and wanted to give my first impressions. We still have no regrets getting the option but my wife has yet to full embrace it in city traffic.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a contrarian view, based not on my Volt, but on the ACC in my 2015 Honda CR-V. Perhaps Chevy's implementation is better; but I hate my Honda's, and would never buy ACC again, if I can help it.

I live near Toronto. Hwy 401 through Toronto is considered by some to be the busiest highway in North America and possibly the world (reference). I find that using ACC on Hwy 401 is at best frustrating (and at worst, dangerous) because:

1. ACC brakes too often. When driving on a busy highway, a quick way to drive people behind you bananas is to brake at any little thing. Most drivers try to "absorb" someone else's brake by laying off their gas, as this keeps the flow of traffic going smoothly. But ACC can be very "touchy" and will often respond with short but frequent brakes.

2. I find that The distance maintained by ACC is either too short (which increases braking because you're riding on someone's bumper at 75mph), or too large -- and that can be annoying because other people will view this as an opportunity to cut in front of you, whereupon the ACC will brake to maintain its large gap.

Where ACC works well for me is on less-populated highways, where gaps and braking aren't as big an issue. But then again, it's much less stressful, so I don't really need (or benefit) from ACC when the coast is clear.

Also, I've occasionally found myself "synced up" behind one of those guys who decides that they're gonna fluctuate between 55mph and 75mph, and before you know it, you're going 55mph because your ACC synced up, and when you pull out to pass, they put the hammer down and they're going 80mph. Seems to happen a lot to me. :)

·
Registered
197 Posts
Chevy's implementation is way better than you describe.
Really smooth and unnoticeable.
Rarely brakes unless it really has to. Not touchy at all. Way better than many drivers.
You can set the distance and the car maintains it very well.

It can't keep idiots off the road.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
...I've occasionally found myself "synced up" behind one of those guys who decides that they're gonna fluctuate between 55mph and 75mph, and before you know it, you're going 55mph because your ACC synced up, and when you pull out to pass, they put the hammer down and they're going 80mph. Seems to happen a lot to me. :)
Sure, but that's not the fault of the ACC system.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I chose not to look for a car with ACC. My driving is 80+ percent on very narrow, windy roads most times with no one in front of me. If I get on a highway/freeway, I'm on it for not that much time, maybe 20 minutes. And even then, I'm taking exits/ramps, merging into other highways, etc. For instance, my trip to work three days per week is all narrow, windy roads with no highway; two days a week, it's some highway for maybe 10-15 minutes, with multiple changes of highways in that time period. There's one short section of straight highway driving for about 5 minutes, and even then I'm trying to go from one lane to another, switch lanes to avoid on ramp traffic, etc.

For my VW, which I owned for about 6 years, I can count the number of times I've tried to enable cruise control on one hand -- and I took that on a ton of long trips. The Volt's ACC sounds better, as perhaps I could use it on long trips, but I didn't buy the Volt to go long distances. The most I'll drive will be around 120 miles round trip, and that will be very infrequent. We bought the 7 passenger vehicle for long trips (which has ACC -- which both my wife and I found difficult to use, but it's a Honda, so we can't compare its ACC to the Volt's). I bought the Volt to have 90+ percent electric driving, with only limited gas driving.

So, it depends on where you drive and if you can even use cruise control in your commute. For me, I use even "regular" cruse control so infrequently, I can't remember how to use it when I do try to use it.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts