GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Just received my volts after almost 2 months of waiting on the bcem.
Today had a long trip where I used up all of the battery. The temperature was great and I put on my summer tires. Normaly I would get 85km. Today I got 71 km and The ice started at 12.3 kwh.

I used to get 14.1 ou 14.3 kwh. Is this normal? Lost over 10% of range (the car has 100 000 km)...I am worried the battery I have will have problems in the future since I see alot of people still getting 14.1after 6 years like me.

What do you guys think? How can I know the health of the battery ( is there a bad cell?) ...

I also saw a recall but did not see it in Canada. What was the name of the recall and how do I know If the dealer applied it?

Thanks

·
Registered
2017 Volt Premier 100k+ Miles
1,116 Posts
I would go though several full charge/discharge cycles since the BECM was just replaced. I'm down to 13.2 kWh in my 2017, which is normal degradation. To monitor battery cell health you need the MyGreenVolt app and a good OBDII reader like the ODBLinkMX+.
You can check for outstanding recalls for your vehicle VIN on either the Chevy mobile app, the monthly OnStar emails (if you have OnStar), or via the Chevy website.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just drove it again.
Got 11.9kwh. For 80 km

I had over 14kwh before the bcem fix. Could they have broken a cell in my battery? This is like 15 to 20 km less range at this time of year?

Could I ask gm or complain to dealer?

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
The BECM needs to "relearn" the battery capacity. You'll need to go through several full charge and discharge cycles for this to happen. Also, make sure you are leaving it plugged in long enough after the fully charged state is reached, so it can perform the cell balancing process.

·
Registered
2012 Std w Nav
5,079 Posts
and by full, for clarity, we mean "run it all the way down under a variety of conditions"; fleeing down a highway at 75MPH is very different conditions from "city streets and traffic lights" and the highway option will lead to lower estimates of both range and kwh to exhaustion.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I personally haven't seen variations in my Gen2 with the kWh used, due to different driving conditions. Range estimates, yes. The greatest variation I'm seeing on a day to day basis is .1 kWh, and I drive to depletion 6-7 days a week. IIRC, it took several days consisting of full charge/discharge cycles for things to settle after mine was changed.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I personally haven't seen variations in my Gen2 with the kWh used, due to different driving conditions. Range estimates, yes. The greatest variation I'm seeing on a day to day basis is .1 kWh, and I drive to depletion 6-7 days a week. IIRC, it took several days consisting of full charge/discharge cycles for things to settle after mine was changed.
I called the dealer I bought it from and he said that it will take sometime to relearn what the car is capable...

I asked him if changing the 12v battery would help he said no. I asked him it a bad 12v affects the BCEM he said no damage possible from a bad 12v....worst that will happen is that the car won't start.

I also have observed that the car in ICE mode is way quieter...I used to REV up super high loud at stop signs. Now it just hummms... So I guess that a fix!

Anyway, still better than the corolla I had as a loaner on gas$. Yesterday the ice total was 2.5 L for 50 Km

·
Registered
9 Posts
I noted my SoC is 13.8 starting the commute. ICE will turn on at 13.0 or 13.1 with .5 or .4Kwh remaining in SoC. I assume this is the "reserve"? This didn't exist just 10 months ago; ICE was turning on at 13.8 or 14.0. The update was before I purchased last year and I achieved 14.0 a few times since that update.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts