GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My income tax guy is preparing my return and tells me that the 30% tax credit for the installation of a 230V charging station is only applicable for business use. I thought that I could get a 30% tax credit for the cost of my SPX 230V charge station including installation costs.

My reading of the IRS 8911 seems to support this view. The form has three sections and section 2 has to do with business/investment use. The first line (10) of part three of the form says "subtract line 2 (business use) from line 1 (cost of charging station). If zero stop here. Do not use file this form unless you are claiming a credit on line 9 (business use credit)". The words in parenthesis added by me for clarity.

Is this view that we cannot get a tax credit for the cost of installing a 230v charging station correct? If not, how do you get around the apparent business/investment use required by 8911?

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
10. Subtract line 2 from line 1. If zero, stop here; do not file this form unless you are claiming a credit on line 9

Since part two will be all zeros, line ten will be the full amount of the charger & installation cost

Since your amount is positive, your DO CONTINUE ( opposite of do not ), the language after the if zero only applys if you are zero,

100% sure this can be claimed for personal

For property of a character not subject to an allowance for depreciation placed in service at your main home (personal use property), the credit for all property placed in service at your main home is generally the smaller of 30% of the property’s cost or $1,000.
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8911.pdf

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Hey, it's your business whether you have an EV so obviously you get a "business" credit! (Only kidding, sorry for the bad joke).

Yes you can take a personal credit. This should be pretty clear from Line 12, which specifies the "Maximum personal use part of credit (see instructions)". That clearly assumes you can take the "personal" credit. You may not ultimately be able to take the credit because of the AMT or some other limit, but the credit is not limited to EVSEs installed for business use.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My CPA/tax guy still say no go. The statement on line 10 says "Do not use file this form unless you are claiming a credit on line 9".

Has anyone successfully filed a return with form 8911 and only personal use (i.e.. no business) and received the 30% tax credit? Thanks for any help. I hate to not get what I am entitled to receive which amounts to about $500 for the SPX unit plus installation cost.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Personal property counts as investment property, doesn't it? In the business/investment verbage.

I'd get a new CPA.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Agree with Henry_FL - line 10 tells you not to file the form only if BOTH line 9 and 10 are zero. Since line 10 won't be zero for a personal credit, you continue to line 11.

That's my personal opinion. Suggest that you consult a tax attorney for the real answer.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
My CPA/tax guy still say no go. The statement on line 10 says "Do not use file this form unless you are claiming a credit on line 9".
Basic reading comprehension problem. Part II is for the business credit. Part III is for the personal credit. Line 10 just says that if you've taken 100% of the credit as a business credit in Part II you can't take a personal credit under Part III. IOW you can't pay once and take the credit twice, once as a business credit and again as a personal credit. Granted that this is not something a tax preparer would see often, but I'd agree that he doesn't appear to be the brightest bulb in the pack.

The answer to your question is "Yes", depending on what you mean by successful.

·
Registered
19 Posts
As with just about anything the gov't is involved with, something that should be easy is ridiculously complicated. I got a call yesterday from my CPA saying I couldn't take the credit. In my case it was an AMT issue, about which I know exactly zero.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts