GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2013 Volt has developed an elusive rattle that sounds sort of like it's coming from the right rear upper area of the car, such as where the struts are that help hold the rear hatch up (I had these replaced as part of the recall). My dealer was unable to locate the cause. The struts seem solidly attached. We thought perhaps the noise was coming from some metalwork on the hatch itself, and they tightened a bolt and did something with "lock tight", but that, apparently, was not the reason for the rattle, because it's still there. It's not major, but it's pretty regular when going over minor road bumps, and it's irritating. Anybody else notice this sound coming from the upper rear part of the car?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I can't believe you posted this same issue. I have a 2012 and also get this clicking sound coming from the hatch area, can't figure it out. The Chevy dealer was of no help. Mine sounds like it's coming from the latch on the hatch (not an intentional rhyme...).

·
Registered
85 Posts
one source of rattle

I discovered a source of rattle in mine which could be mistaken for a hatch problem. Some maintenance person had failed to replace (or lost) one of the four corner nuts that hold down the cover over the battery. They should have used wingnuts anyway.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Is it possible that the rubber bumpers against which the hatch closes are not properly adjusted? If they are not then there could be some play in the hatch when it is closed. There have been several threads about adjusting those bumpers to minimize wind noise but they might also be the cause of your rattle.

Another possibility is that one of the plastic trim pieces on the edges of the inside hatch surface has come loose. If you tap it with the back end of a small screwdriver you might find the spot where it is no longer secure. You could then use a soft hammer to reattach it.

KNS

·
Administrator
20,024 Posts
My 2013 Volt has developed an elusive rattle that sounds sort of like it's coming from the right rear upper area of the car, such as where the struts are that help hold the rear hatch up (I had these replaced as part of the recall).
Perhaps some loose pads above the headliner? "It finally became apparent that it wasn't in the trunk but up in the headliner back by the passenger side all the way back by the back hatch opening." See http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?137217-Something-is-loose-in-the-trunk-area......&p=1907138#post1907138

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
The two rubber landing 'knobs' screw in and out of the hatch by hand, and seem to also be capable of screwing themselves. You could try rotating those counter-clockwise to increase the pressure/position of the rubber stops to put them under a little more compression. This was the source of a rattle on mine. Bear in mind not to overdo it and cause a different problem.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to everybody and especially to ampere_jed, whose information about "The two rubber landing 'knobs'" seems to have done the trick. I turned each of those a few times to increase their pressure or position and have not heard the irritating rattle since then! Hooray! (Or as Siri would have it, Who Ray!)

(But why didn't the technician at the dealer know about this? It's hardly rocket science!)

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
Thanks to everybody and especially to ampere_jed, whose information about "The two rubber landing 'knobs'" seems to have done the trick. I turned each of those a few times to increase their pressure or position and have not heard the irritating rattle since then! Hooray! (Or as Siri would have it, Who Ray!)

(But why didn't the technician at the dealer know about this? It's hardly rocket science!)
They service the things, they don't live with them. :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts