GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed something odd.

I have an IPOD that I have plugged into my USB port on my 2016 volt.

It's hard to hear, but on certain songs I can here almost like a click or static or something when the music is quieter.

It's not the speakers, because I copied the same songs to my phone and play it through the bluetooth with no issues. I don't think it's the ipod because I plugged it into my wife's car and there is no issues. I even swapped the ipod cable, in case it was a cable issue.

I also put the songs on a usb stick and they play fine as well.

What am I missing?

-bgodzilla

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Cars have a lot of outgassing, dust, et-al. and things like USB ports get surprisingly grunged up so you might want to try some contact cleaner.

This is my preferred stuff... (CRC QD cleaner)
http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1451527

Expensive but you'll have a can of it forever unless you do electronics repairs like me <grin>.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mine does the same. It's why I don't use iPod mode, just BT audio.
Well that's annoying. I may have to try the cleaner but really...it's not that old of a car....

-bgodzilla

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Well that's annoying. I may have to try the cleaner but really...it's not that old of a car....

-bgodzilla
Sometimes new cars are the worst. The outgassing puts a semi-conductive film on every possible surface (and that persistent film on the inside of your windshield). It's entirely possible that it could be a bad solder-joint in the USB port or something but I'd go the easiest route first and clean the contacts before I started pulling things apart.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I've noticed something odd.

I have an IPOD that I have plugged into my USB port on my 2016 volt.

It's hard to hear, but on certain songs I can here almost like a click or static or something when the music is quieter.

It's not the speakers, because I copied the same songs to my phone and play it through the bluetooth with no issues. I don't think it's the ipod because I plugged it into my wife's car and there is no issues. I even swapped the ipod cable, in case it was a cable issue.

I also put the songs on a usb stick and they play fine as well.

What am I missing?

-bgodzilla
are you using Apple OEM cable?

·
Banned
398 Posts
Sometimes new cars are the worst. The outgassing puts a semi-conductive film on every possible surface (and that persistent film on the inside of your windshield). It's entirely possible that it could be a bad solder-joint in the USB port or something but I'd go the easiest route first and clean the contacts before I started pulling things apart.
Oooh. I hope that works! That would be great! I use CRC cleaner as well.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Glad it helped. Enjoy those tunezzzzzzz
I just ordered a can, it'll be at my house Wednesday. Thanks for the tip, Dutch and trying it out BZZT!

-bgodzilla

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have the same issue and will try this solution as well. Note though that this contact cleaner is 1/2 the price at Lowes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts