GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I'm having an issue with my 160 GB classic iPod when I plug it in to my volt. It detects the iPod and can play songs off of the iPod, but it doesn't seem to be properly indexing artists and songs.

It recognizes the playlists on the iPod.. it can play songs in a shuffle mode, but when I click in to Artists the screen shows the 'Indexing...' message briefly (2-3 seconds) and then goes back to the main music menu. It never shows a list of Artists.

The same thing happens when going in to the 'Songs' area. I've tried resetting to factory default settings, but no luck so far. I notice that it is properly indexing the 'Composers', but that doesn't really help.

Any idea how I can get it to properly index the artists and songs so I can pick them out and play them?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
The Volt seems to have issues with the iPod classic. I've got an 60GB (5th generation) and I run into issues where the iPod will lock up if I try to scroll through songs too fast (I have to wait about 5 seconds between presses of next track) Not sure why indexing is even necessary, as it appears that the iPod is handling all track management functions. When the iPod reboots (or I reset it manually) it always begins playing the first song beginning with "A" (which happens to be A Cigarette Is All You Get by the Crash Test Dummies) whereas if the Volt was handling track selection and reading the file right off the iPod (as it might with a USB stick) you would expect it to pick up where it left off.

It just seems like there's some poor coding on the part of whomever built the center stack for GM, as they didn't even bother to change the string "Name of Accessory" that shows up when the iPod is connected.

Previously this iPod lived in my truck connected to my Alpine deck, and it never had any lag or glitches. Heck it would even play videos on the dash, and the iPod would show a pretty Alpine logo while connected. Plug in the iPod and it's good to go in about 5 seconds. No indexing required...

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
There are quite a few threads on this. I owned a 120GB iPod Classic and it had problems with the Volt - duplicated songs and truncated song count, messed up index, etc. I have since switched to 2 64GB SD cards that work perfectly.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
There are quite a few threads on this. I owned a 120GB iPod Classic and it had problems with the Volt - duplicated songs and truncated song count, messed up index, etc. I have since switched to 2 64GB SD cards that work perfectly.
How do you use SD cards with the Volt?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had an issue with my 5th generation iPod Nano in my 2013 Volt. It would play OK for a while and then it would lock-up at particular time on all the songs with the screen indicating it was indexing. I finally figured out that the lock up was occurring after I shut the vehicle off with the iPod playing. I reloaded all the songs into the iPod (right click on your iPod's name while hooked up to iTunes and hit the Reset button) and now make sure I change the radio to another source; AM, FM, etc., before I turn the vehicle off. I have not had any issues since. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Issues with iPod Classic and other HDD based players are not limited to GM/MyLink. I've tried to use my Classic in rental Toyotas with Entune and Fords with Sync and have the same types of issues.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts