GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those interested, I’ve been testing out my iPhone X (OS 11.1) with my 2016 Volt. I had no problems Bluetooth pairing the phone to the car and Apple Carplay works fine with the phone plugged into a USB port. The phone is small enough that it fits in the charging pocket in the center console with the console lid completely closed (see pictures). However, recharging the phone wirelessly in the charging pocket is not so good. Whatever configuration I use (with the car turned on), the phone will not charge wirelessly. I tried removing the rubber insert in the pocket but to no avail. Very occasionally, when I have the phone in the pocket, without the rubber, facing backwards and pushed fully forwards in the pocket, for an instant, it indicates charging but then cuts out. I guess the charging coils in the pocket are not aligned with those in the iPhone X – it probably sticks out too far. I have no problems charging the iPhone X on a separate Xi charging pad I have.

By the way, the iPhone X is an excellent phone. Of course, I am upgrading from a plain iPhone 5, so I was a little behind in the technology! I think I spent most of last Friday texting all my friends Animoji and the novelty still hasn’t worn off!

IMG_0324mr.jpg IMG_0325mr.jpg

·
Registered
152 Posts
Have you tried to put it in with the camera down (upside down)?

I don't have an iPhone with wireless charging but have had Nokia's in the past and they were a little sensitive to where they were placed. I guess wireless charging doesn't really matter in the car though, since you plug the phone in for CarPlay and that will keep it charged.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I've tried it upside down. The charging coils just don't seem to match.

You are right that, without wireless Carplay, the phone will almost always be plugged into the USB port, where it will charge anyway. The wireless charging pocket in the Volt is really pretty useless - it would have been better to include Homelink instead!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Yes, I've tried it upside down. The charging coils just don't seem to match.

You are right that, without wireless Carplay, the phone will almost always be plugged into the USB port, where it will charge anyway. The wireless charging pocket in the Volt is really pretty useless - it would have been better to include Homelink instead!
Not going to see homelink. GM as well as several other manufactures dropped them. Looks like there is a dispute on pricing. Probably they hiked their prices for the license.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi,

Unfortunately, according to this page, we 2017 Chevy/GM owners are out of luck with Qi charging with iPhones.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208148

Here’s the note from the bottom of the page:
“The implementations of wireless charging in 2017 and earlier models from Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, and GMC do not meet the requirements for Qi certification. These models do not work with iPhone X, iPhone 8, and iPhone 8 Plus.”

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have both a 2016 Yukon and 2017 Volt with Wireless charging that doesnt work with the iPhone X. On the Yukon side - i made a very modest "hack" to enable Wireless Charging to work with my iPhone X. I simply had to remove some sort of non-standard repeater element from the wireless charger and magically the iPhone started charging. I followed the steps in the following videos. I wondering if something similar would work for our Volts. I am guess that it would.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Interesting. Nice find. Hopefully it will work and help some G2 Volt owners.

I just don't understand why either A) the iPhone wouldn't charge on a standard Qi charger, or B) why GM would use non-standard chargers.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I can confirm that the charging unit is the exact same one as in the yukon. I simply had to remove the tiny magnet in the center of the coil and and now my iPhone X charges wirelessly. Its a pain to get to but once the magnet is removed it works perfectly.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I did it to my volt and my yukon. Successful in both. The volt is harder to get to. The center console is primarily clipped together. Start pulling that apart. There is a a torque screw on each side that has to be removed, then 4 nuts. Once that is done, the entire charging unit pulls right out. Then you can follow the steps in the video to remove the magnet. Reverse the steps and put it all back and you will be done.

·
Registered
43 Posts
OK it took me 1.5 hours with the assistance of my wife to take car apart remove the magnet and put car back together and with the assistance of members in this forum I now have wireless charging for my iPhone X. Unlike other views you know the charger is working because the iPhone screen shows it, and you get a green lighting bolt just about the top left of centre on your screen.

A couple of things to mention.

First of all you need a 7mm socket, nothing else will do. You probably need a wife or competent helper to hold up things and retrieve fallen screws and torx driver bits.

as previous posted virtually everything pulls apart except for some screws.

there is a 7mm under the rear cup holder

there is a torx under where the sides seam together just about where the seatbelt is hiding it.

there a 4 7mm screws holding the unit along with the phone insert where you put your phone.

there are 4 torn screws holding the charger to the phone insert.

and finally there are 5 torx screws holding the 2 parts of the charger together.

unlike the video mine really stuck together and has hear sinks along with a direct air supply coupling that must be properly inserted when re-installing.

of the 90 minutes 30 was proably studying on how to pull it apart, 15 minutes was realizing that only a 7 mm will work. 15 minutes spent watching the video again, 5 minutes removing the magnet and small circuit board, 5 minutes re-testing circuit before re-assembly and remainder carefully re-installing everything a cleaning up as re-assembling.

Once again a real thanks to others in the forum who did the advance work.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I did this mod today on my husband's 2017 Silverado. With the repeater and magnet removed, our iPhone X's wouldn't charge. With just the magnet removed (but the repeater in place), the phones charge great. I'll probably skip doing the mod on my Volt, though, because I always plug in the cable for CarPlay so I'd seldom if ever want to charge wirelessly.

B

·
0 Posts
i would like more information on getting the console apart. i can't seem to see the instructions on google drive

B

·
0 Posts
tharvey57 I completed the mod on my 2017 volt last friday. I just recently purchased an iphone x. I started with the rear cup holders and started pulling everthing apart, it wasn't really very hard, the only thing i removed was the magnet in the charger and didn't mess with the circuit board. It sometimes hesitates when i insert phone in charger and with a cover on my phone my arm rest sticks up about 1/4 inch. but im pretty happy with the result.

B

·
0 Posts
i only removed the magnet and it works i wonder what difference is between removing the magnet and the circuit board.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I pulled wireless charger magnet today. If you are thinking about ambient lighting, installation while you have the center console out is more than half the battle. I went a little overboard beyond the factory ambient setup and added additional ambient lighting in the rear cup holders and the center console where the USB ports are located.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts