GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I am a first time Volt owner, and new to this forum. I bought a 2017 Volt Premier.
I have been interested in this car since it was a concept car. I really like the car, but I am a little disappointed with the touchscreen/electronics. The have been a little glitchy, unresponsive to touch once, and now it will not display the texts I receive on my iPhone 6S, I can only listen to them. I was already disappointed that Apple apparently does not support voice commands for sending texts. It make the whole text interface almost useless if you can only receive texts but cannot send them through the system.

Does anyone know how to get this system to start displaying my received texts again?

Does anyone know if there is a way to get this system to send texts by voice command with an iPhone 6S?

Has anyone had any issues with the electronics or touchscreen in a gen 2 volt?

Any information or input is appreciated.

Thanks, Tony

·
Registered
242 Posts
For APPLE CARPLAY -- You have to enable SIRI. All texts are read to you, not displayed! A driver reading texts, even on the infotainment system, contributes to DISTRACTED DRIVING. After a text has been read, it will ask if you wish to reply, where you can then dictate the outgoing text (and have Siri confirm it interpreted your voice correctly, prior to sending). It works pretty seamlessly, I use it often.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your response. From what I understand, the phone has to be plugged into the USB port to use APPLE CARPLAY. I prefer to use the wireless connection. Last week the infotainment system was wirelessly displaying the incoming texts as well as reading them to me if I selected "Listen". Now it will only allow me to listen to them, and the "View" button does nothing. I appreciate the safety aspect that you mentioned, but I am more concerned as to why the system worked one way last week and now it works differently.

I am becoming concerned about the overall reliability of the entire electronic system. As I mentioned earlier, the touchscreen didn't work at all for brief period last week. I have also noticed the the spaceship-like sound the car makes when you turn on the power has also become intermittent. My volt has less than 3K miles, how well will the infotainment system be working when it has 50K or 100K?

·
Registered
58 Posts
No offense, but you really need to read the manual. To use Siri via Bluetooth you press and hold the "voice" icon on the steering wheel until you hear the Siri "beep-beep". Then you speak any command you normally would to Siri. For example, when you receive a text, you can say "Read me my messages." And it will read it and ask you if you want to reply. You can say anything that you can when using Siri on the phone. "Text my father that I'm on my way", "what time does the sun set today" etc.

It's on p90 of the infotainment manual under "Voice Pass-through" in my 2017 manual

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
You aren't trying to view your texts while the car is moving are you? "View Texts" does not work while moving, you can only view texts while sitting still.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the info. No offense taken, I have read a lot of the manual, but I think I need to re-read some sections. There is a lot of technology that I am not used to, my previous car was over 10 years old.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for the solution to my texting problem. You are absolutely right, when I set this up and tested it, my car was parked. I suppose that is in the manual as well. I definitely need to go back through the manual before I send anymore posts. You wouldn't happen to know why the spaceship-like noise the car makes when you switch the power on, does not chime consistently?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts