GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GM - please fix this. Incoming calls do not go to hands-free and force me to pick up the phone and activate the cars audio system to receive the call. Further, when connected via USB, the audio from an incoming call is combined with whatever audi source I am listening to (CD, Radio, etc).

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Is this a '13? I have an iPhone 4s with iOS 6 and don't have these issues.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, it is a 2013 and the issue is strictly related to the iPhone 5. Apple changed it's bluetooth protocol in the iPhone 5 and Chevy hasn't caught up.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
My iPhone 5 running 6.0.2 works perfectly fine. pandora works great.
Calls inbound and outbound route as would be expected via Bluetooth
With calls showing up on the screen
I'am starting to feel very lucky

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
To apply the update to your iPhone 5, you must first connect to your wireless LAN. The software can not be downloaded via 4G.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have the exact same problems with my iPhone 5 and 2013 Volt. This is both when using the USB cable and also Bluetooth.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Check on your iphone under Settings/General/Software - if there is an update it would be listed there with an option to update. If not there then when you connect to itunes with your iphone connected via usb you should have get an update warning within itunes.

Either one will work, itunes option for certain.

If you are up to date then you can try to restore your phone but make sure you backup first.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Don't worry, the Galaxy S3 has issues with the Volt, too. Like a sizeable portion of my phonebook is missing.

If I had to guess, I think part of the problem may be that GM outsources that software development, probably offshore. Offshore software often sucks, but hey it's cheap, and it gets rid of pesky American jobs.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Yes, it's a problem

We have a 2013 Volt with the MyLink radio and I can confirm these problems are real. Both my wife and I have an iPhone 5 and the transfer problem is just one of the annoyances. The other problem we have is that the bluetooth connection will not remain connected. Every few minutes the phone screen will drop the the iphone connection and revert to the "onstar" phone. This is a much bigger problem when you're using the nav system because when the phone drop occurs the map screen will switch from the map to the phone screen. It's a bit of a challenge to follow a map screen that keeps disappearing.

We took the car to the dealer and they tried it with a Razor and it worked fine. I then got my wife's deactivated Blackberry and paired that with the car. It stayed connected continuously (of course I couldn't make a call).

We also have a 2011 Volt and the iPhone 5s work fine with that car. So for whatever reason it seems to be the iPhone 5 on a 2013 with Mylink where there are problems. We are hoping for this to be resolved in the 6.1 iPhone software release.

·
Registered
500 Posts
My new iPhone, first one, works fine with my 2011 Volt. On the other hand I'm not very impressed with my new iPhone. Drops calls very easily at my home. My previous phone never dropped a call once at home, (same carrier). And the battery charge life is poor.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Interesting. I will try the Nav system with the new iPhone 5 today and report back. I seldom use the Nav but what the hey, I'll see if it works. I have zero BT connectivity issues for playing music or making/receiving calls, other than the annoyingly long wait period for the MyLink to initialize BT when first powered on.

·
Registered
9 Posts
We have a 2013 Volt with the MyLink radio and I can confirm these problems are real. Both my wife and I have an iPhone 5 and the transfer problem is just one of the annoyances. The other problem we have is that the bluetooth connection will not remain connected. Every few minutes the phone screen will drop the the iphone connection and revert to the "onstar" phone. This is a much bigger problem when you're using the nav system because when the phone drop occurs the map screen will switch from the map to the phone screen. It's a bit of a challenge to follow a map screen that keeps disappearing.

We took the car to the dealer and they tried it with a Razor and it worked fine. I then got my wife's deactivated Blackberry and paired that with the car. It stayed connected continuously (of course I couldn't make a call).

We also have a 2011 Volt and the iPhone 5s work fine with that car. So for whatever reason it seems to be the iPhone 5 on a 2013 with Mylink where there are problems. We are hoping for this to be resolved in the 6.1 iPhone software release.

Yes, Number719. I have a 2013 with Nav and experience the same two problems you mentioned - both the Transfer and Bluetooth dropping and reverting to the OnStar Phone. Like you, I sure hope an IOS Update will solve these issues.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Yes, it is a 2013 and the issue is strictly related to the iPhone 5. Apple changed it's bluetooth protocol in the iPhone 5 and Chevy hasn't caught up.
I have a 2013 with MyLink & Nav, an iPhone 4, and an iPhone 5. The whole setup with the phone, Bluetooth, music, etc. has worked fine with both versions of the iPhone. Actually, my iPhone 5 sounds better to the folks on the opposite end of the call, from what they tell me. :)

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
No issues making a call via voice command and BT using the iPhone 5, and the Nav works just like it's supposed to while I was also listening to music off the phone. Not sure why some people are having issues, but I'm not.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I have a MY 2012 non MyLink and non Nav Volt. My iPhone 5 with iOS 6.02 is a nightmare. Half the time it now gets stuck at Reading USB when I connect it. Problem is that GM's official position is that it only supports specific combinations of iPhones and iOS versions.

For those who conclude that this is an Apple issue and not GM, I have to wonder why I've never had these issues on my Infiniti - using an iPod nano, iPhone 4, 4S, and 5. All at various iOS versions. I'm not denying the possibility that Apple changes things, but perhaps GM's integration software tries to be too smart for its own good.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts