GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After updating to iOS 9 my audio streaming from the Lightning connector to my car has audible clicks and pops across all apps with audio. This does not happen with the headphones or the mic line and it is definitely new with iOS 9. The car is a 2012 Volt using the iTunes interface.

I even tried upgrading to the 9.1 beta to see if it helped and the same thing happens. I also tried power cycling the phone as well as trying a different cable but the problem remains.

Anyone else having this issue after upgrading to iOS 9?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Same problem

Yes, I also have a 2012 Volt and am experiencing the exact same issue. I haven't tried the 9.1 beta, but I did just replace my cheap 3rd party lightning cable with an official apple one to see if it would make a difference, and it seems I wasted my $31.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Eek. I have an iPod Touch that started playing pops and crackles but I thought I had some problem with a couple of new album downloads. I will try to revert the iPod if Apple is still signing the old version.
You can probably return the cable to Apple within 2 weeks of purchase.

2012 Volt with nav

·
Registered
331 Posts
The reverted iPod plays perfectly. I'm not sure if this is a bug in iOS 9.0 or in the Volt, although I'd lean toward it being iOS, and certainly there's a better chance of a quick update there. If the others who have reported this with iPhones don't want to revert their install (this is not jail breaking) then please let us know if the next iOS update fixes it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good to know I'm not the only one. I'm hoping this is a larger issue that will come to Apple's attention. I've been looking for bug reports on this but haven't come up with anything yet. I did report it in the support forums but they guy that responded wanted to blame the cable or the car and it certainly isn't that.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Can you give the link to your support forum post? I can at least add a voice there. Although again, it's not 100% certain that the 2012 Volt isn't at fault here. We have no reports from newer model years (although most of those are probably using Bluetooth, not USB) and even if we did, it's conceivable that iOS 9 has made some subtle protocol or timing change that still conforms to Apple's specs but falls outside of GM's testing. It would be helpful to know if any other car models are having this problem.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Damn, didn't want this to be my first post, but yeah I had the same issue. The ios9 works perfectly with the 2016 Volt, Apple CarPlay is seamless, but on my 2012 Volt with Nav I couldn't stand the audio glitches. Within a day I had downgraded back to ios8

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hmmm, my post was deleted. I have a 2012, ios9 had the same issues on my unit (Nav, premium Bose, hard drive, etc). The MyLink stereos didn't seem to have an issue, nor does the 2016 Volt sitting beside me for testing (which has CarPlay working flawlessly with ios9). I downgraded to ios8 because of it, as I don't want the audio glitches until it's patched. Was too annoying.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Weird, I haven't noticed this problem since upgrading to iOS 9 (MY13). Hope that gets resolved soon - that would be enough to make me revert to OS 8 for sure.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I tested my my iPhone 6 with ios9 in my 2015 Fiat 500e this morning. Played without "pops" using the cable connection.

·
Registered
128 Posts
After updating to iOS 9 my audio streaming from the Lightning connector to my car has audible clicks and pops across all apps with audio. This does not happen with the headphones or the mic line and it is definitely new with iOS 9. The car is a 2012 Volt using the iTunes interface.

I even tried upgrading to the 9.1 beta to see if it helped and the same thing happens. I also tried power cycling the phone as well as trying a different cable but the problem remains.

Anyone else having this issue after upgrading to iOS 9?
can you let us know what device this is on? was going to update to ios9 on the iphone6 and now i'm hesitating. thanks!

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
I need to go test ios9 and Siri not beeping after the update - she only shakes the phone.

The onstar app still not supporting the Apple watch

http://9to5mac.com/2015/09/17/ford-apple-watch-app/

C-Max Energi and Fusion Energi Plug-in Hybrids, and those Focus Electric models with on-board LTE modems.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Exact same problem with my 2012 Volt. Sounds like I'm listening through a record player with beat up vinyl. iOS 9 definitely the only culprit. I HATE this infotainment system. BTW if anybody is nerdy and cares, this kind of digital audio flaw is called a "clocking error". Same exact sound flaw as when pro-audio recording equipment, etc isn't configured with other equipment correctly.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
can you let us know what device this is on? was going to update to ios9 on the iphone6 and now i'm hesitating. thanks!
This is on the iPhone6 with iOS 9. I regret upgrading and was too careless to back up my phone before I upgraded so downgrading will be a chore.

·
Registered
4 Posts
This is still a problem under iOS9.1. Quite a few people driving Chevy Volt's and many other GM cars have reported the same issue.

Please check out this thread over at Apple Communities: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7222761

I guess the best thing to do would just keep reporting the issue to Apple. It's clearly a software problem, because all affected users upgraded from iOS8 to iOS9 and only after the upgrade the problem occured.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts