GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has been covered several times. I took what I learned and installed one for myself. I learned some things and wanted to share them.

First you have to be ready before the lights go out.
I didn't want to have the inverter in the way all the time.
I bought the suggested high current connecters and they were just too big to go in the holes were the battery terminals are located.
There are four nuts that hold the rear deck in place. I didn't want to remove this during an emergency.
This can be done with the deck in [lace.

1) Rase the carpet that covers the rear deck. (Clip the cord on the right side)
2) Remove the two covers covering the 12V battery terminals.
3) Connect a battery to the terminals under the front hood. (I have direct wired 12V outlets in the trunk)
4) Purchase two M8-1.25 thin nuts. (Not M8-1.00 nuts) and two wing nuts same size.
5) I used 3 foot 3AWG cables with terminals on both ends. For my inverter one end need to be cut off and stripped back about 1/2 inch.
6) Remove nut on the positive terminal (Left). Replace it with the thin nut. Now put the wing nut on top.
7) Remove nut on the negative terminal (Right). Replace it with the thin nut. Now put the wing nut on top.
8) Remove both wing terminals and place in recess in rear deck.

Attachments

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Inverter Installation in my VOLT (Part 2)

9) Now run the ground cable into the left hole. Wiggle it till it come out on the right hole. Put it on the post and tighten the wing nut.
10) Now run the positive cable into the left hole. Put it on the post and tighten the wing nut.
11) If you want to be able to close the cover on the hole when you are done. Drill a 7/16 inch hole in the left rear corner to run the wires through. For you that are leasing this would not be a good idea.
12) I used Velcro rope to hold the two wire next to each other. (I will be changing this to heat shrink tubing so it will keep its shape when not connected.
13) When you are done. Turn off the inverter.
14) Remove the wing nut on the positive terminal first. Position the red wire so that it is not touching anything.
15) Replace the wing nut so you know where it is and to double nut your terminal because of the thinner nut.
16) Remove the wing nut from the ground terminal. Pull the wire till it comes out the left side.
17) Replace the wing nut so you know where it is and to double nut your terminal because of the thinner nut.
18) Put it on the shelf and you are ready for the next power outage.

Attachments

·
Registered
65 Posts
Very nice work! Can you describe what the yellow thing and wired thing(s) are in picture #4? Haven't seen those before.

Also, in post #1, I have a question about the two nuts you show. Is the nut on the left, the original nut on the battery posts?......and the nut on the right, the "thin nut?

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Thanks for sharing. Living near the coast, we have a hurricane household kit but no generator. My neighbor has a HUGE, old tree that's guaranteed to take out the power for whole neighborhood so it's not a matter of "if" but "when".

·
Registered
219 Posts
Very nice work! Can you describe what the yellow thing and wired thing(s) are in picture #4? Haven't seen those before.

Also, in post #1, I have a question about the two nuts you show. Is the nut on the left, the original nut on the battery posts?......and the nut on the right, the "thin nut?
Looks like a road triangle kit and an RF amplifier. (Or transceiver with a remote headend?)

·
Registered
223 Posts
9) Now run the ground cable into the left hole. Wiggle it till it come out on the right hole. Put it on the post and tighten the wing nut.
10) Now run the positive cable into the left hole. Put it on the post and tighten the wing nut.
11) If you want to be able to close the cover on the hole when you are done. Drill a 7/16 inch hole in the left rear corner to run the wires through. For you that are leasing this would not be a good idea.
12) I used Velcro rope to hold the two wire next to each other. (I will be changing this to heat shrink tubing so it will keep its shape when not connected.
13) When you are done. Turn off the inverter.
14) Remove the wing nut on the positive terminal first. Position the red wire so that it is not touching anything.
15) Replace the wing nut so you know where it is and to double nut your terminal because of the thinner nut.
16) Remove the wing nut from the ground terminal. Pull the wire till it comes out the left side.
17) Replace the wing nut so you know where it is and to double nut your terminal because of the thinner nut.
18) Put it on the shelf and you are ready for the next power outage.
Whats the yellow thing on the right hand side in the trunk under the access lift panel?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)

The yellow box holds an emergency triangle that doesn't come with the VOLT. I purchased one from Amazon.com and one from Ebay.com. They both came with boxes. One orange and one red. The second one I gave to my GM certified mechanic that just bought one of the VOLTs that was sold back because the customer was scared after the stories about the VOLT bursting into flames.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008SNK9WA/ref=oh_details_o09_s00_i00

http://www.ebay.com/itm/280812315335?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

The black box on the fare right is the base radio for my FTM-350 Yaesu dual band HAM radio. The control head is mounted on the left side of the dash.

http://www.yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?cm...D=33C814E3D04C92310507ECDE68CC3C01&DivisionID

The left nut is the original nut. It has a built in flat washer. The metal plate that it fastens to is the equivalent of a flat washer. You need to reduce the thickness to make room for the high current terminal and the wing nut. The one on the right is the one that I bought to replace it. With the double nut on there you should have the same amount of pressure on the battery plate.

One thing that you can't see is my LG inductive charger for my Samsung Charge. (Last photo in this post)

I missed this when I put the latest photos in. The item next to the yellow box is the GM first aid kit. I moved it to make room for the radio.

Attachments

·
4,871 Posts
I have a wiring kit available for purchase for the Volt now... The kit requires no permanent modifications (read: Drilling) to the Volt, and comes with high power connectors and fuses for a nice hidden installation.

More info: http://www.evextend.com/EVEX-1000W.pdf

It's also available with a true sine wave inverter for people that don't feel like purchasing one on their own.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
I have a wiring kit available for purchase for the Volt now... The kit requires no permanent modifications (read: Drilling) to the Volt, and comes with high power connectors and fuses for a nice hidden installation.

More info: http://www.evextend.com/EVEX-1000W.pdf

It's also available with a true sine wave inverter for people that don't feel like purchasing one on their own.
How much for the kit with the pure sine wave inverter ?

MrEnergyCzar

·
Registered
36 Posts
I rolled the dice and ordered one today. It came out to $369 with tax for the kit and inverter. I'll post my experience when I get and install it.

·
4,871 Posts
How much for the kit with the pure sine wave inverter ?

MrEnergyCzar
As Brent mentioned above, the cost for the wiring kit with the TSW Inverter comes to $369.

Thanks for ordering one Brent, I'm looking forward to your feedback!

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Thanks for being the guinea pig. I might be next in line assuming everything goes smoothly. :D
After a few e-mails back and forth, it's clear to me that ClarksonCote knows what he is doing and has done lots of homework. Now he is offering the fruits of his research at a fair price.

I'm in. I just ordered his complete kit, with inverter.

·
4,871 Posts
Thanks for the kind words Slapshot; Looking forward to your feedback once you receive the kit!

·
Registered
33 Posts
After a few e-mails back and forth, it's clear to me that ClarksonCote knows what he is doing and has done lots of homework. Now he is offering the fruits of his research at a fair price.

I'm in. I just ordered his complete kit, with inverter.
Sold. I just ordered one with inverter as well. Early Christmas present for me and the Volt.

·
Registered
230 Posts
So how are these turning out? Anybody try and see how the inverter handled the short spike that something like a fridge has? Seems like some 1000w inverters handle a full size fridge, while others dont.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
So how are these turning out? Anybody try and see how the inverter handled the short spike that something like a fridge has? Seems like some 1000w inverters handle a full size fridge, while others dont.
The package from EVExtend (http://www.evextend.com/Emergency-Power-Kit.php) just arrived last night. Wow, I am REALLY glad to be piggy-backing on Eric's (ClarksonCote) research. It's an amazingly professional and complete installation package. Plus, the TSW inverter is far better than anything that I would have selected. I was astonished at the wire gauge, and the beefiness of the components. I guess there is a lot of amperage at 12V to power a 1 KW inverter. The directions are incredibly well-done, and the design looks superb. I'm waiting for one of my older sons (an EE) to get home before we install it, but it looks straightforward... and fun!

Our purpose is to run a full-size garage refrigerator in a power outage. I'll keep you posted after we finish the installation and test it.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts