GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello All,

Last weekend my wife and I bought a 2011 volt with 124,500 miles. For me this was kind of a big deal as 10 years ago I started making my own electric car. Link to that if interested. I got it to drive but never daily commuted in it. So here I am now driving a EV regular. It's totally cool!!

I live in a small town so to buy a volt we knew we'd have to drive to get it. In this case we found a GREAT price on this 2011 and had to have it. It was a 5 1/2 hour drive one way. My wife doesn't like to drive long distances. She's happy being the passenger. So we went and I towed the volt home on a tow dolly behind my SUV. Pulled the car great but stopping distances were greatly increased (It was rainy almost the whole drive).

Anyway we have the car now and are make a few small repairs and looking to do upgrades. I've done a TON of can bus stuff in the past and am looking forward to sampling and to help decode more of the Volt's messages. I've also played a bit with reading ECU's and finding maps in them. Hoping to hook up with some people and help with that as well.

Mods I'd like to make
-Increase the regen amount. It is way too weak. I drove an i3 and that's the regen I want.
-Raise the current limit. I'm in to fast cars (had a LS1 swapped 3-series and loved it). More HP available to the wheels is always handy.
-Default to sport mode when I turn it on. Even my wife clicks it to sport mode every time (Her previous car was a BMW 330i with a manual transmission)
-Figure out a way to preheat the car automatically on a schedule without onstar (I'm thinking of pulling that fuse).

I'm struggling to find good wiring diagrams. This is my first GM car and was told that GM cars have great support. But I can't find hardly any diagrams or programming tools. I'm starting to think "great support" means "a great place to spend money". :cool: Ha.

Loving the car though. Put 70 EV miles on it already. Don't expect to use the gas motor much at all.

Thaniel

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
Welcome and congratulations on the purchase. You have a great car.

Be careful before diving in on the mods. This car is very complicated and sensitive to any disruptions to the expected messages and voltages. There have not been many people who have successfully altered any of the things you mentioned.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There have not been many people who have successfully altered any of the things you mentioned.
Agreed. And that what makes it more appealing to me. I've done CAN bus (Including some GM Lan but mostly several BMW models), ibus (BMW) and Class2Serial (GM) reverse engineering in the past. I find it kind of fun. Like doing a puzzle. I've done less ECU reprogramming but enough to know what is involved.

In the past tricky stuff I do on a bench setup. Especially in the winter when sitting in the car can be cold :) But first I have a few small repairs to do to the car. Then I can start playing and see what I can learn about this car. Still trying to connect with the other Crazy people that like to get into the details.

Thaniel

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have driven over 600 miles with my volt now. Only about 6 miles with the gas motor. The day it came on we went 42.3 miles before it came on. Pretty good range for a 7 year old car in not ideal circumstances.

Bought a VXDIAG and using that with GDS2 and the information from the Chiltons manual found the fault causing the check engine light to come on. Who hoo! Best I can tell using the GDS2 software the light had been on for the last 40,000 miles :) Silly emissions stuff on a EV.

Now onto interfacing with the different CAN bus systems and seeing what I can do.

Thaniel

·
Registered
513 Posts
Raise the current limit. I'm in to fast cars (had a LS1 swapped 3-series and loved it). More HP available to the wheels is always handy.
Even if you could find a way to do this, I'd give it lots more thought. If GM knew the car had a weak link anywhere in the drive train, one way to have fewer warranty claims would be to set the horsepower limit just below where it would cause major problems. Your car is out of warranty and any major malfunction in the drive train could cost you more to fix than you paid for the car

Don

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Even if you could find a way to do this, I'd give it lots more thought. If GM knew the car had a weak link anywhere in the drive train, one way to have fewer warranty claims would be to set the horsepower limit just below where it would cause major problems. Your car is out of warranty and any major malfunction in the drive train could cost you more to fix than you paid for the car

Don
Thanks for the concern. But no need. I could blow a bunch of stuff and it'd only be a few hundred. Couple thousand absolute tops. The used parts market for volts seem to be quite cheap. Since few wear out there isn't a need for them. And when doing all the work myself it's inexpensive.

Perhaps you didn't notice or catch the significance of my reference to an LS1 swapped BMW. I'm not afraid to do things that the OEM's never intended and that dealers won't touch. Oh and in the case of the LS-BMW the motor I swapped in cost just about what I paid for my whole Chevy Volt. Older Volts are a really good deal for the money.

Thaniel.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts