GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
One of the posts here got me thinking it would be good to introduce myself and maybe explain why I just bought a car that won't be made anymore.

First off, my first experience in a Volt was about three years ago when our daughter's Spark needed to spend some time in the shop for an electrical issue. The dealership loaned us a Volt. That car was running on gas, and while we liked it, didn't think much about it since it just didn't seem all that special. About a year and half ago, I got to ride in a Bolt while visiting San Diego since the Lyft driver we were using had one. He had just got it through some lease deal Lyft and GM had. He loved it and loved the range. My opinion was mixed. It seemed interesting, but I wasn't sold.

Then came the announcement that the Volt would be made no more after March 2019... It was always the car that my wife and I said, "if we ever got an electric car, that one would make the most sense for us because we would be able to use it as a regular car regardless...". We were going to miss it, and we had just missed our opportunity. Or did we? ... The back story:

About 8 weeks ago, my wife and I decided we really needed another vehicle. We have a ¾ ton Silverado diesel for towing our Airstream. I was using that for my daily 50 mile commute (25 each way) and it was simply was not practical as a daily driver when it gets 15-18 MPG in traffic without a load. I was spending upwards to $100 every time I filled it. It's comfortable, we sit in it for hours when traveling, but it's just not practical as a daily driver. We felt we should use that for towing and carrying things we couldn't in a car.

So, I thought about things, I work for a UK-based company that is progressive due to what we do in the high tech world. We have five L2 charging stations at work! Time to think about electrics... I looked around and outside the Tesla model 3, only the Bolt, Volt, and BMW i3 seemed to fit the bill. My co-worker had the i3, it's funky, a bit fun, but I just couldn't see driving it.

One of our local dealers I talked to called me because one of their reserved Bolts had become available (they can't keep them in stock). I scheduled an appointment to test three cars with them, the Bolt, a 2018 Volt, and a used 2011 Volt they had. The Bolt was a bit of a non-starter for me. The car was fun to drive, but I just felt it was a bit too much like my daughter's Spark. It felt cheap, in nearly every way. The Volt was a different animal, it was fun in the electric mode, and inside felt like a proper car to me. The 2011 Volt was owned previously by a smoker. They fabreezed it, but you just can't get that smell out. I was going to pass on that car. While looking for the 2018 model that had the options I wanted, we passed two cars that had just been dropped off an hour earlier, one was a 2019 Volt with all the options I wanted. We took it out and then took out the 2018. both were fun in the electric. Now the big decision what to do...

We thought about it overnight, had lots of decisions and decided that we really weren't willing to spend $40K for a third vehicle. What we didn't understand at the time (and there seems to be lots of mis-information on) is how the tax credit works. Had we known, we would have bought the 2019 Volt. But we passed. We found a certified pre-owned Volvo S60 that got great gas mileage and was fun to drive. Then came the announcement. No more Volts after March. My wife and I suddenly regretted not spending the money on the Volt... but we had a plan. We talked to our daughter who is in college and 400 miles away. Would she like to trade her Spark for the Volvo? We knew she loved the Spark, it was her first car after all, so would she give it up? Enthusiastically, she said "yes". Hmmm... OK, I guess trading up wasn't going to be as hard as we thought. ;)

I talked to the dealership and they were willing to make us a really good deal on a 2018 Volt that had the one feature I really wanted... adaptive cruise control. They had four on the lot with the options I wanted, so it was down to color. Turns out the Blue was spoken for, so it was Black, White, or metallic grey. I decided black, until we saw the interior, it was the black and tan, and that just didn't really work for my wife. So we ended up with steel grey and an empty savings account... but we now have a 2018 Volt and still kick ourselves for not doing it 8 weeks sooner (although our daughter doesn't).

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Congrats and welcome to the forums! It looks like you thought carefully about this decision and you'll be glad you did. I'm on my second one. Great tech--hope they continue it in other vehicles.

·
Administrator
20,196 Posts
My 2011 is at 97K miles and in great shape. I'd have no qualms buying another, but mostthat had a Gen 1 say the Gen 2 are better in almost every way, so you should not be disappointed.:)

·
Registered
131 Posts
I talked to the dealership and they were willing to make us a really good deal on a 2018 Volt that had the one feature I really wanted... adaptive cruise control. They had four on the lot with the options I wanted, so it was down to color. Turns out the Blue was spoken for, so it was Black, White, or metallic grey. I decided black, until we saw the interior, it was the black and tan, and that just didn't really work for my wife. So we ended up with steel grey and an empty savings account... but we now have a 2018 Volt and still kick ourselves for not doing it 8 weeks sooner (although our daughter doesn't).
Good for you. I think you will love your decision. I didn't regret my Saturn when they stop making that. I have a Scion XB and they stopped making that. I can sell it at a premium right now. No regrets. Talked to the Chevy dealer who had another used Volt and got a lot of calls after the announcement and quickly out the door. He is looking for more used Volts.

·
Registered
67 Posts
We ALL buy cars that at some point won't be made any longer. Even if the name is the same, the design and parts within it may not be. The 2011 Volt has been out of production for a while and those owners are doing fine. I'm willing to bet it would be 20-25 years before we start seeing major part availability issues for a new Volt.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I love my Volts (on #3 now).

But I was on the fence with GM - this has pushed me over.

My next car will almost surely not be a GM, and will probably be a Tesla.

·
Registered
58 Posts
We are a veritable halfway house for newly-orphaned cars! Over the recent years: one Saab 9-5, two Saturn Auras, one 2014 Honda Insight, and now a 2018 Volt.

·
Registered
897 Posts
We are a veritable halfway house for newly-orphaned cars! Over the recent years: one Saab 9-5, two Saturn Auras, one 2014 Honda Insight, and now a 2018 Volt.
Well, our only cars right now are a 2011 Cruze and 2018 Volt, so I guess we are about to become a halfway house too!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts