GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I have 2017 Chevy Volt. I use the myCheverolet app (latest download and validated login). It's starting to get chilly in the morning in mid 40's, so I began my ritual of preconditioning the Volt when my alarm goes off.

It no longer works! It showed me that there is a server error forwarding commands to my Chevy Volt and make sure I didn't left the FOB key inside it. Well all the keys are with me in my pocket in our bedroom upstairs.

Failing that command, I tried preconditioning using the remote keys. Pressing the lock button and then hold and press the Q button (the one with almost circular symbol arrow). The lock press responded, and when the Q button was pressed and hold, there's only one blink of the lights, and no preconditioning ever.

When I tried to get status, it says that the server is not accessible.

This has got to do with GM's server problems that's getting worse now instead of being resolved. Still no VoltStats update.

Anyone else noticed this in their 2017 Volt?

·
Registered
4,855 Posts
I have 2017 Chevy Volt. I use the myCheverolet app (latest download and validated login). It's starting to get chilly in the morning in mid 40's, so I began my ritual of preconditioning the Volt when my alarm goes off.

It no longer works! It showed me that there is a server error forwarding commands to my Chevy Volt and make sure I didn't left the FOB key inside it. Well all the keys are with me in my pocket in our bedroom upstairs.

Failing that command, I tried preconditioning using the remote keys. Pressing the lock button and then hold and press the Q button (the one with almost circular symbol arrow). The lock press responded, and when the Q button was pressed and hold, there's only one blink of the lights, and no preconditioning ever.

This has got to do with GM's server problems that's getting worse now instead of being resolved. Still no VoltStats update.

Using the phone App remote functions requires an internet connection (LTE, wifi) to GM servers. Using the key fob remote functions does not require an internet connection to GM's servers. Maybe your key fob battery needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
874 Posts

How much gas is in your tank?

Are your fluid levels under the hood adequate?

Using the phone App remote functions requires an internet connection (LTE, wifi) to GM servers. Using the key fob remote functions does not require an internet connection to GM's servers. Maybe your key fob battery needs to be replaced.
JoeReal said his lights flashed, so the fob works...when I had this happen to me, it was because my gas was low. I never got the server error, but it did say "Your vehicle is not preconditioning. Please try again." until I put more gas in the tank.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have 428 miles of gas range in the Volt and a full charge in the chilly morning (45 deg F).

What happened was, I send the FOB commands via myChevrolet app. Then it showed as failed.

So I got my relatively new reprogrammed keys (just about 3 months from the dealer), and used it to remote start, it didn't work.

My suspicion is that the FOB key commands got into the Volt but wasn't executed properly, kind of got stuck in some buggy loop, and then interfered with the remote key commands for remote start.

This happened twice already.

Tomorrow morning, I will just use the remote key to precondition and see what happens.

·
Registered
874 Posts
I have 428 miles of gas range in the Volt and a full charge in the chilly morning (45 deg F).

What happened was, I send the FOB commands via myChevrolet app. Then it showed as failed.

So I got my relatively new reprogrammed keys (just about 3 months from the dealer), and used it to remote start, it didn't work.

My suspicion is that the FOB key commands got into the Volt but wasn't executed properly, kind of got stuck in some buggy loop, and then interfered with the remote key commands for remote start.

This happened twice already.

Tomorrow morning, I will just use the remote key to precondition and see what happens.
It shouldn't get into a "buggy loop"; the fob should immediately remote start the vehicle no matter what, unless it's already been remote started twice since being driven, or if there are low fluid levels. Double check your coolant reservoirs and make sure none of them are low.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I tried preconditioning with just the FOB key and it worked.

It seems that there is a problem when you use the FOB preconditioning commands in the app and it fails, then the remote key will also fail thereafter until you restart the car.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
It shouldn't get into a "buggy loop"; the fob should immediately remote start the vehicle no matter what, unless it's already been remote started twice since being driven, or if there are low fluid levels. Double check your coolant reservoirs and make sure none of them are low.
Or a CEL set, or no fuel in the tank, or a keyfob detected inside the car, or doors not locked, or... Lots of reasons for it to not start. Most of them listed in the manual.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Or a CEL set, or no fuel in the tank, or a keyfob detected inside the car, or doors not locked, or... Lots of reasons for it to not start. Most of them listed in the manual.
I just discovered something that's not in the manual then.
I have lots of fuel, just 1/2 gallon less than full tank, no keyfob in and near the car...

The main problem is that when you give out the preconditioning command from the myChevrolet app and it failed, you can't use the keyfob thereafter to precondition the car! The car needed to be restarted by getting inside it, pushing the blue power button while pressing the brakes, and then turning it off. Then you'll be able to use the keyfob again for remote starting.

GM's app has been very very very buggy as of late, and this is also compounded when you have erratic wifi service.

·
Registered
4,855 Posts
If the preconditioning function fails the first time when using the MyChevrolet app I simply tap the preconditioning button again. It usually works the second time. Also, sometimes the app indicates that the preconditioning command failed when it was actually successful.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Sometimes the app indicates that the preconditioning command failed when it was actually successful.
I've had that happen on both Volt and ELR. In the early days, the app would fail 80% of the time. Not just remote start, any part of it.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If the preconditioning function fails the first time when using the MyChevrolet app I simply tap the preconditioning button again. It usually works the second time. Also, sometimes the app indicates that the preconditioning command failed when it was actually successful.
I have observed that too. But the past three early mornings, it failed even if I tapped the preconditioning button on the app again and again with server warning or error messages in between. I know that it fails as I can check the car out of our window if the parking lights are running when it is preconditioning. And when I got that server errors and I use the sequence of preconditioning with a fobkey, remote start didn't happen. The car only flashed its lights with the lock command, and then another flash for the Q command, and then nada, no lights...

I am keenly observant of my Volt and I know when it is out of the ordinary.

·
Registered
874 Posts
I just discovered something that's not in the manual then.
I have lots of fuel, just 1/2 gallon less than full tank, no keyfob in and near the car...

The main problem is that when you give out the preconditioning command from the myChevrolet app and it failed, you can't use the keyfob thereafter to precondition the car! The car needed to be restarted by getting inside it, pushing the blue power button while pressing the brakes, and then turning it off. Then you'll be able to use the keyfob again for remote starting.

GM's app has been very very very buggy as of late, and this is also compounded when you have erratic wifi service.
That's odd...I've only had preconditioning "fail" once from the app, and another time when the fuel was low it said "Your vehicle is not preconditioning". The time it "failed", it actually worked. I don't see why the fob wouldn't work if an OnStar command failed, however...the two modules are completely separate. It seems like there is potentially another intermittent root cause here.

I know it's very unlikely that this is your case, but one person on the forum was having remote start issues at work but not at home. Turns out his fluid levels were BARELY low, and when he parked facing downhill at work, they registered too low for a remote start, but parking uphill at home it worked fine. I guess you'll find out if it randomly doesn't work again.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have confirmed this to be an internet issue. Now ComCast and Wave broadband have got their acts together in our area. When the internet is flaky, and I give out the commands in the app and it fails, it interfered with my fobkey. No problem if I started with the fobkey first instead of the app. But if the app is started first, and the internet is flaky, it can interfere with the fobkey thereafter. After the ISP's fixed their problems in our area, pinging for the status of the Volt is quicker.

So my new SOP right now, is to ping for Status mileage using the app, and if it returned the Status properly, I follow it up with a series of two remote preconditioning commands. I really prefer the series of two consecutive preconditioning commands as it will precondition the car for 20 minutes, without having me to use the fobkey twice. And not only that, I get about 4 miles of additional range when I drive the car in very chilly mornings. So I prefer the app over the fobkey.

·
Registered
874 Posts
^Are you saying that you hit the precondition button twice immediately, not wait for 10 minutes for the second press? And you get the full 20 minutes that way?
It has to be more than 30 seconds after the first time (according to the manual), but yes, if you repeat the button sequence before the initial 10 minutes is up, it lengthens the cycle to 20 total minutes without having to wait for the vehicle to shut down first.

When I wake up, I immediately use the remote to start my car, then get dressed, then do it again, then go make coffee and get the rest of my stuff ready for work. If I'm fast enough, I usually get outside right as the car has shut off and "topped off" the battery.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
^Are you saying that you hit the precondition button twice immediately, not wait for 10 minutes for the second press? And you get the full 20 minutes that way?
It's not immediate. First time you hit, it will ask that you make sure it is legal to do so. Then you enter your passcode or your finger print. Then it will animate round and round until it turns green saying that it was successful. Then it turns back to it's original icon color, just press it again. And you'll have 20 minutes total preconditioning time!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.