GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the forum and this is my last resort to get a warranty item corrected on my drive train. I have a 2012 Volt with 86K miles on it. It is a great vehicle and recently I had the driver's side bearing replaced on the car. When I got it back, not sure if it is just a coincidence or not, I noticed the car missing like when you have a bad plug. It would be just a moment when there was a very sudden loss of power in the drive and then it would pick back up very quickly. It never happens when the Volt is on the battery, so I have eliminated the servo drive motor for the vehicle and the battery. Once the battery is depleted and the engine starts to run the generator for the drive motor it occurs. If I attempt to accelerate heavily it will jerk and I will have a very noticeable reduction in power. It very rarely logs a code for diagnostics. Once it logged a code that read Propulsion reduced I think. It is happening both when accelerating as well as coasting to a stop. I have taken it to 3 dealers and they have told me they could not get it to repeat the problem. It is usually 8 to 10 miles into the drive with the motor operating the generator before it happens. Does anyone have any ideas?

·
8,680 Posts
Having it happening while coasting to a stop is very, very odd - the car should have dropped the engine off and be running all electric by then.

My best guess is something is going wrong with the three clutches in the transmission assembly - slipping, or failing to disengage, or both. It's not a problem I've ever heard of before - the Volt normally rev matches all the shifts, so there should be no real clutch wear.

You need a dealer.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
How often does this happen? I would think based on the codes and symptoms, they should be able to fix it, but unless you have an active warranty, that could get expensive. The best thing would be if you swapped vehicles with the tech, but that would take a very accommodating service dept.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Are you using, and have you consistently used the correct fuel (premium 91 or better)? Is the air filter clean? Since the issue is only occurring during generator usage it may be a gas generator issue. Ask the tech take it on an extended drive.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The drive train is still under warranty. I left it with the dealership for 8 days and told them to drive it as much as needed to replicate the problem. I got it back and the said they could not get it to malfunction. The mileage in and out showed a total of 4 miles driven-go figure.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have always used premium fuel and the filter is clean. Left it with the tech for a week and he drove it a total of 4 miles.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts