GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So last Saturday my check engine light came on, after being parked in the cold for 2-3 hours, and after running on the ICE for a while, while on a road trip to another town 80 miles from home. Drove a few miles to a convenience store to buy a coke, when I restarted, the light was out.

Yesterday, the light came on again, sort of similar circumstances - after driving on the ICE, in the cold. This time it didn't go out immediately, so I called onstar, and they told me it was nothing serious, but it should go in for service within the next week. They told me it was code P1EC6.

This morning, it was still on first time I started it up, fully charged, for a brief errand near the house. The next time I used it, a few hours later, no light. And it hasn't come back on today.

So should I make an appointment to take it in, for something that may not be on when I do, or wait till it comes on and stays on?

Oh - it's a 2012 that I've owned for 3 months now. Love it!

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Did you ever top off your coolant? Most 2011's and 2012 had coolant levels too low and would get a "service high voltage system" CEL.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I haven't topped off the battery coolant. I did check it, but don't know if it's low or not - there's not an obvious indication of where it's supposed to be.

Oh - it's a day later, still no more CEL.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
I haven't topped off the battery coolant. I did check it, but don't know if it's low or not - there's not an obvious indication of where it's supposed to be.

Oh - it's a day later, still no more CEL.
VERY LOW

(You can see the normal "low coolant" line above the actual level there.)

NORMAL FULL

Bottom of the label is the low "full" line, top of the label where the black marker is the higher "full" line. Which of those is most recommended has changed at least twice, so "someplace in the label" is probably good.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks, hellsop. I'm definitely below the label, probably closer to your first picture. I'm sure it's in the manual, which I'll be checking anyway, but if anyone feels like typing in what I'm supposed to fill it with, that may speed up the process (edit: never mind - Dexcool 50/50 premix)

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Hi sduck,
I sent you a PM a while back. Did you ever get it? It should be quietly listed under the "Notifications" tab near the top of your screen.

3,605 Posts
Thanks, hellsop. I'm definitely below the label, probably closer to your first picture. I'm sure it's in the manual, which I'll be checking anyway, but if anyone feels like typing in what I'm supposed to fill it with, that may speed up the process (edit: never mind - Dexcool 50/50 premix)
Hi sduck,

Have you filled up the coolant level in your Volt, and did this help address the Check Engine Light you’ve been seeing?If not, I do suggest bringing your 2012 to your dealership to make sure that all is well, as they have the technical expertise to look into this concern further.

If you’d like, I’d be happy to send your information and details regarding your concern to your dealership and have them contact you for an appointment. If this is of interest to you, please send me a private message with your VIN, vehicle mileage, contact information and the name of your preferred Volt dealership.

Best,

Amber G.
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
Please note that GM does not want owners refilling this fluid without having a tech check for leaks. That is why there is or should be a lock on the cap (installed under recall on some model years). There is a risk that fluid is leaking into the high voltage battery pack and that repeated filling could put excessive fluid in there causing a problem.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi sduck,

Have you filled up the coolant level in your Volt, and did this help address the Check Engine Light you’ve been seeing?If not, I do suggest bringing your 2012 to your dealership to make sure that all is well, as they have the technical expertise to look into this concern further.

Amber G.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Thanks Amber - the light hasn't come back on, although I haven't filled the tank yet, haven't had time. It's on the agenda tomorrow. If it comes back on after I fill it, I'll definitely bring it in, but see no need for alarm at the moment. Thanks!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts