GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The rear view mirror on my 2020 Bolt EV Premier is in two pieces which are supposed to stay clicked-together.

In reality, on hot days the front of the two pieces falls halfway down, and dangles from the main mirror assembly.

So far this has only occurred when the car is parked. But if it ever falls when someone is driving, it would obstruct a good section of the driver's vision and be quite dangerous. It usually takes one of us a minute or two to click it back together. If the car wasn't under warranty, I'd probably apply superglue between the two pieces.

My wife is taking the car in for service tomorrow and will discuss it with the dealer. But I wonder whether others have encountered this.

·
Administrator
20,898 Posts
No. Picture?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My wife's experience with this at the dealer was not too great, although not too surprising. First they said they had never heard of this occurring. Then, as she was leaving (having been told that the part was not in-stock), the same person said it occurs frequently. One of us will need to bring the car back when the part is back in stock. A bit nervous about driving around and hoping this never recurs while the car is moving.

·
Administrator
20,898 Posts
Looks like either lose or broken snap tabs?

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
You need to find another dealer and one that will order the parts to fix it.

·
Administrator
20,898 Posts
Yes, I agree that the snap tabs are apparently loose. They don't appear to be broken ... yet.
Hot days, heat expands the plastic, down it comes. You could try using a soldering iron to melt/bend the tabs a tiny bit inward. Or velcro. Or a new part.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Hot days, heat expands the plastic, down it comes. You could try using a soldering iron to melt/bend the tabs a tiny bit inward. Or velcro. Or a new part.
Or clear RTV. I think that it would not be hard to remove when necessary but will hold the piece in place in the meantime.

·
Registered
25 Posts
2014 Red one. Same thing with the mirror black plastic cover. I push it into place and a couple of days later, do it again. Living in Florida. 90 degree days. I don't want to glue it because, the next day something in the electronics buried in there will need service.

·
Administrator
20,898 Posts
Or maybe some 3M blue tape on the tabs to give them a bit more resistance due to extra thickness the tape adds?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts