GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The front passenger interior door handle does not engage to open the door. It locks and opens just fine from the outside. Of course the warranty ran out just this past month. Any ideas on the cost to fix? DIY project? It is 2013 model year Volt.
Frank

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
Sure, pop the door panel off (usually there are some screws hidden somewhere so the door pull is solidly mounted plus a number of plastic clips - many of those will break so get a supply of new ones on hand before you start pulling) and it's possible that the little metal lever popped out of the plastic brace that holds it. Once the panel is off, you can see or feel the parts and go from there with repair or replacement. I had an issue with my suburban window as well as my BMW 535i rear window. A professional glass shop stated I needed a new scissor mechanism, and their fix was to dab some silicone on some spots. $75 dollars of an eBay part and I pulled apart the door only to discover that I only needed some $3 plastic parts from gen BMW dealership. needless to say, I don't trust anyone from that class place any more. They've since gone out of business from a curse I put on them.

So this is very doable if you are mechanically inclined and don't have abnormally big hands or fat fingers.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Llninja, I can see a project coming up real soon. The hand size should not be a problem.

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
You also might check out a parts catalog like gmparts.com to get a decent diagram of where the plastic clips might be. The first time you try to pop the clips, you might be scare'd ****less that you are going to break something, but they do take a lot of force and a sudden jerk to get them to pop. Once you get a couple out the rest become easier because (1) you start to get an idea of how to do it and (2) you have some space behind the panel to feel around where the next one is. Some really cheap plastic putty knives might be a good idea. Be very careful if you are using a screwdriver.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Happy to report that the project took less than an hour and was completely successful! The cable had come out of the socket and was easily reattached. Thanks to this and other threads instructions on removing the door panel, worked like a charm. Now I have the perfect used Volt.

Frank

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
Happy to report that the project took less than an hour and was completely successful! The cable had come out of the socket and was easily reattached. Thanks to this and other threads instructions on removing the door panel, worked like a charm. Now I have the perfect used Volt.

Frank
Yes!!! (insert fist pump here)

·
Registered
1,124 Posts

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
I liked Data better without the emotion chip, though I preferred Spock. They should have just had a Vulcan in TNG as a science officer instead of an android.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts