GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
That is very informative, especially this statement:

"A number of 5ET50 electric variable automatic transmissions (RPO MKE) from 2016-2017 Volt and Malibu Hybrid models recently returned to GM have been damaged during shipping due to improperly securing the transmission in the shipping cocoon."

So the 2017 Malibu Hybrid does use the same 5ET50 EDU.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Some good information there.
Though many we have seen posted here, such as the coolant level, etc.

I don't think that was a secret - they openly declared it when announcing it.
The difference is in the software/tuning to better suit the operation mode of (non-plugin) malibu vs volt.

·
Registered
57 Posts
After reading some of the things here, it looks like I really should be limiting my search to 2013's and not 2012's. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After reading some of the things here, it looks like I really should be limiting my search to 2013's and not 2012's. Thanks!
I when I was buying I got a 2013 by luck because I didn't know enough to make a discerning choice. If I were looking for used now, knowing what I know now, I wouldn't go older than the '13s

·
Registered
57 Posts
My commute is 72 miles each way at the moment. Being able to "hybrid pre-heat" the car on gas + electric while still garaged would be worth quite a bit to me I'm sure.

Too bad I can't stretch and get the leftover NEW 2015 near me with 138 miles on it...

·
1,308 Posts
The Malibu hybrid's transaxle is so similar to the 2nd gen Volt that it uses the same 5ET50 model name but it is not identical so it has a separate RPO -- Malibu is MKE and Volt is MKV.

You can see the specs for both on page 2 of this document in the 2016 passenger car EDU table:
http://gmpowertrain.com/product_guide/2016_Information_Guide_20151030.pdf

Basically, the Malibu uses different motors. Motor A is a rare-earth permanent magnet motor on the Malibu versus a ferrite (iron) permanent magnet motor in the Volt that is free of rare earth metals. The Volt's motor is cheaper and works fine for mostly EV driving but the Malibu's motor is better tuned and more efficient for frequent hybrid driving with the engine running. I'm not sure how different the Motor B is between the Malibu and Volt but the specs are quoted differently. The last noticeable difference is that the Volt has a one-way clutch that allows both motors to be used together in EV driving. The Malibu doesn't have that clutch because it's Motor B can handle the maximum power output of the Malibu's smaller battery all by itself. Removing the one-way clutch saves a little money and slightly reduced internal drag or friction within the transaxle. The rest of the planetary gearing is identical.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I when I was buying I got a 2013 by luck because I didn't know enough to make a discerning choice. If I were looking for used now, knowing what I know now, I wouldn't go older than the '13s
Same here... I got a 2012 and wish I had a 2013 for HOLD, bluetooth audio streaming, and some other screen that shows ICE / Battery ouput/regen...

·
Registered
57 Posts
No. Bluetooth is limited for calls on your cellphone. Mine (2012) does have a Hard Drive that was not available starting with 2013.
My wife's 2010 XC70 is like that. BT only for calls, no A2DP. That would have been a real killjoy to not have known in advance! I don't mind using an AUX cable from my phone, but I had figured they all would stream audio.

Apologies for the temporary topic derailment; carry on!

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
The Malibu hybrid's transaxle is so similar to the 2nd gen Volt that it uses the same 5ET50 model name but it is not identical so it has a separate RPO -- Malibu is MKE and Volt is MKV.

You can see the specs for both on page 2 of this document in the 2016 passenger car EDU table:
http://gmpowertrain.com/product_guide/2016_Information_Guide_20151030.pdf

Basically, the Malibu uses different motors. Motor A is a rare-earth permanent magnet motor on the Malibu versus a ferrite (iron) permanent magnet motor in the Volt that is free of rare earth metals. The Volt's motor is cheaper and works fine for mostly EV driving but the Malibu's motor is better tuned and more efficient for frequent hybrid driving with the engine running. I'm not sure how different the Motor B is between the Malibu and Volt but the specs are quoted differently. The last noticeable difference is that the Volt has a one-way clutch that allows both motors to be used together in EV driving. The Malibu doesn't have that clutch because it's Motor B can handle the maximum power output of the Malibu's smaller battery all by itself. Removing the one-way clutch saves a little money and slightly reduced internal drag or friction within the transaxle. The rest of the planetary gearing is identical.
Thank you Jeff N for this elucidation!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts