1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I don't think it would generate enough to continuously charge the car so it would have to be grid connected....

MrEnergyCzar
I liked the comment to the article that concluded, it seems a shame have solar panels and not have them collecting energy when there is no car parked there. This brings us back to the question, why not have the panels attached to a permanent structure like a car port or building?

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I liked the comment to the article that concluded, it seems a shame have solar panels and not have them collecting energy when there is no car parked there. This brings us back to the question, why not have the panels attached to a permanent structure like a car port or building?
probably cheaper too than the one shown.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
That is a great idea. By the way, the Applied Materials campus in Santa Clara, CA has solar panels used as shade structures in its main parking area.

·
8,680 Posts
Not seeing any advantage this would have over a traditional solar car port like the ones GM is supporting - but it has several disadvantages, from the reduced efficiency of flexible solar cells that those at bad angles to the reduced life due to moving parts and the risk of damaging the car as the cover moves across it.

Solar carports are a great idea, especially if grid tied - they give shade for cars on hot days, charge cars while you're at work/shopping/wherever the carports are, and feed power back into the grid to improve grid independence.

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
remove antenna before using :)

and is You-tube not happy with embedded links now ?

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
A car port design seems much more practical... With the bubble shape, half the cover is pointing away from the sun, so it wouldn't generate any power.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts