1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
The difference is that once you experience the joys of not going to the gas station you don't think of plugging in as requiring thinking.

The problem is more that people don't understand how the Volt works and how that can benefit them. So the author is right in large measure about the thinking being an issue, perhaps just not right on as to what areas where the thinking is an issue.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I read an article recently about wireless charging and how important that was for EVs going forward. The article noted that most current EV owners tend to forget to plug in their cars, because plugging in is such a hassle. I will admit I have forgotten to plug in my vehicle once or twice in the 6 months I have owned it, but I would call it far from a hassle. It takes me a fraction of a minute to get out of my car, walk to the charger, open the charge hatch, and stick in the charger. That's it. And so far I've only gone to the gas station once.

·
Registered
354 Posts
First and foremost Toyota has a better reputation. Then there's the price...price sells... the Prius is cheaper.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I care.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
The Volt, or any plugin vehicle is new and does require a shift in behavior.
Any shift in behavior takes time to work its way into the market, even if it is superior for many people.

Add to that the lack of marketing, and the indifference of many dealers if not outright hostility towards the Volt.
And yes, price is an issue, although not as much as it appears when you really look at what you are getting.

So those last two things take a slow uptake and make it even slower.

The first issue, a shift in behavior is happening.

The second is an issue GM needs to address, if they can.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Think this article has been linked before.
This is at least the third time...Many many articles are "recycled" with just the click bait title changed...

The difference is that once you experience the joys of not going to the gas station you don't think of plugging in as requiring thinking.

The problem is more that people don't understand how the Volt works and how that can benefit them. So the author is right in large measure about the thinking being an issue, perhaps just not right on as to what areas where the thinking is an issue.
Overall, yes...The originally first article was titled the "the thinking mans car" it goes far beyond that because if you actually wanted a car you'd discover wireless options such as plugless exist...Also I do read a lot of people here keep there plug plugged into their garage so when they get home at least they save several steps of opening the hatch, etc...After owning a Volt myself, I'm baffled to no matter how I pitch it people do not comprehend how it works...The common theme is people do not comprehend it can drive on an empty battery with gas only...

To the plug in/wireless story, most of these are only sold in Cali to get the HOV sticker and many can be company cars who want to project a green image and/or have their employees be able to get to work sooner with the HOV sticker...In those scenarios, often the company provides fuel reimbursement...

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
The Volt, or any plugin vehicle is new and does require a shift in behavior.
Any shift in behavior takes time to work its way into the market, even if it is superior for many people.

Add to that the lack of marketing, and the indifference of many dealers if not outright hostility towards the Volt.
And yes, price is an issue, although not as much as it appears when you really look at what you are getting.

So those last two things take a slow uptake and make it even slower.

The first issue, a shift in behavior is happening.

The second is an issue GM needs to address, if they can.
Its also the segment...In most 10 ten vehicle sold lists there really isn't a compact and if there is the Civic or Corolla...Folks are buying these for under $20K...They're generally okay with not having the Cali HOV which is currently capped anyways...

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
'Zactly. It's not a "you have to think about plugging in", it's a "You just plug it in as part of getting home, just like you don't think about closing the garage door again."

And once they've thunked the think, they don't need to think the think they thunked before.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Saying that EV's aren't for most people because they might forget to plug it in is like saying that we should all use the bus so that we'll never accidentally lock our keys in the car.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
First and foremost Toyota has a better reputation. Then there's the price...price sells... the Prius is cheaper.
I do not see a reason for Toyota's "reputation". Is it better than other makes in real life when you compare apples to apples?

All slow lightweight cars are extremely reliable today and have been for decades. Toyota is not an exception. No power, no breakage.

No, the Prius is more expensive than most economy cars, even Toyota's own.

The Spark is 1/3 cheaper. Toyota's own is 1/4 cheaper.

The number of miles you must drive outside of warranty to save money makes the Prius a wash. It will never save money, it can at best break even.

Assuming another brand is 35 mpg and the Toyota is 50 mpg, and gas is $3.00:

100,000 miles is less than $2,600 gas savings. Not enough. It's $7000 more than the competition with 100,000 mile warranties.

The Prius is false economy. You get all the downside of economy cars, but without the financial advantage. Slow with mediocre handling and brakes, and it costs more per mile to operate.

Toyota also makes about worst quality and least fuel efficient large SUV on earth, the Sequoia. It gets worse highway mileage than many large SUVs get in the city. 17mpg highway is lousy even for a V8 today. A freakin' Chevrolet Suburban gets 6 mpg better mileage but it's a bigger SUV with a V8 also.

And their large pickups sell poorly for a reason. They are cheaper, advertised as being superior, but most people switch back who really use their pickups as pickups. After decades, they still can't make a work quality large pickup, or a luxury quality.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Grow up America! What.... you don't wipe yer ass because you ferget cause it takes too much thinkin? Jeez. Next thing ya know you'll elect an a-hole con artist to be president!

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Saying that EV's aren't for most people because they might forget to plug it in is like saying that we should all use the bus so that we'll never accidentally lock our keys in the car.
As I pointed out the first time, he says to buy this car over a 3 series because it has CarPlay/AA...A like $12K ICE Spark has CarPlay...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts