GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i'm following the 2012 sb880 law but i'm having a problem finding an insurance company that can do this:

"The owner and each successive owner of the charging station, at all times, shall maintain a homeowner liability coverage policy in the amount of one million dollars ($1,000,000), and shall name the association as a named additional insured under the policy with a right to notice of cancellation."
My insurance company and another person i contacted both suggested that only commercial general liability policies allow for a third party (i.e. the association) to be listed in an insurance policy. But i've no business and Geico requires a business to open a commercial policy.

Did anyone successfully install a plug in your assigned parking space in a condo? what insurance company did you use?

thanks

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
HOA as an additional insured?

Ask Geico for a 1 million dollar umbrella policy in addition to your home owner's policy...that may meet your needs
My Allstate agent in NJ told me that they will not add my HOA as an additional insured on either my HO-6 policy or my umbrella policy.

I am very interested in whether GEICO or any other company has done that and in which state(s).

Thanks in advance.

KNS

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
I did the same as Upper5Percent said at my condo.

I would think you are better off being one step removed

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Unfortunately Geico will not allow anybody else to be listed as additional insured in their umbrella policy.
I think no personal umbrella policy allows for a third party to be listed.
And Geico commercial department is unable to provide me with a commercial liability policy as i don't own a business.
For California residents i found this document helpful.
I've asked a few of the people mentioned in that report, I got a few replies but no concrete solution to the problem yet.

thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did the same as Upper5Percent said at my condo.

I would think you are better off being one step removed
My HOA is requiring me to follow that rule. If i'll not be able to find any insurance company that can do what the law says, then i'll submit a request to my HOA using just a personal umbrella policy and hope the HOA changes its mind.
What do you mean by "better off being one step removed"?

thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As of now, i've found one insurance company that can list the HOA as additional insured: Liberty mutual.

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
Glad you did find what the board was asking - that will save time.

I called USAA years ago and wanted to insure a computer : they said NO ! and asked why anyone would want a computer in their house.

Someone always has to got first :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts