GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
On the Gen2 the Energy Info display has the instant MPGe and MPG (when in combined mode), don't know what the Gen1 has but I bet it has something similar.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
On the Info screen there is a button on the left side that switches between MPG and Combined. There is much more information displayed when you have it in Combined mode. In combined it will display MPGe for electricity and MPG for the gas on the right side of the screen, in the left side (in the button) it will display a useless Combined MPGe number. This is for Gen2, I have no idea what they do for Gen1.

·
Registered
58 Posts
On the Info screen there is a button on the left side that switches between MPG and Combined. There is much more information displayed when you have it in Combined mode. In combined it will display MPGe for electricity and MPG for the gas on the right side of the screen, in the left side (in the button) it will display a useless Combined MPGe number. This is for Gen2, I have no idea what they do for Gen1.
Unfortunately, that isn't the "instant" number the OP was looking for though. I haven't found anything on the Gen 2 that shows your "at that exact moment MPG"

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
The OP wants the one that reads infinity when you're going downhill and ~2 when you're going uphill. Ultimately, it's kind of useless, IMHO.
It would be interesting. But given how the Volt works in CS mode, the numbers would be all over the place and it would be very hard to follow, given the fact that the engine cycles on and off frequently, and given that the power produced by the engine/generator often doesn't match the power being used by the traction motor.

·
Registered
524 Posts
You can get it with an OBD reader and Torque app or equivalent. Interesting to watch it go up and down. Not like a regular ICE.

·
Registered
532 Posts
On the Gen2 the Energy Info display has the instant MPGe and MPG (when in combined mode), don't know what the Gen1 has but I bet it has something similar.
Are you sure? It's averaged not instant?

Two things that bother me about how GM shows their values on the Volt (and Spark EV for that matter)....A) no instant mi/kWh and B) the stupid values don't reset until you fully charge...there are no PER TRIP values (really stupid IMO).

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
The closest is the energy usage indicator--I mean, it's not going to tell you "mpg" but at least let you know how many kw you're "instantly" using from the battery.

If you're solely interested in CS mode, you'll get some sense by using the tripometer's "avg" mpg and just reseting it every few miles.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
With our 2016 Volt I just reset trip A or B and when running on the gas engine I can see what the instant mpg is. Usually at 55 MPH the instant readout out on level ground is somewhere at or about 52 MPG on gasoline. Of course this will vary when the engine is charging the battery or the battery is assisting in propulsion along with the gas engine. The 52 mpg is when on the flow screen only the engine is displayed propelling the vehicle and the battery is blacked out...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts