GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am looking into purchasing winter tires to put on the OEM wheels for the winter season.
The stock tires are P215/55R17 (26.3inches of overall diameter - 791 revs per mile)
I contemplate purchasing and installing P215/60R17. (27.2 inches of overall diameter - 766 revs per mile)
There is a difference of 3% in the number of revs per mile between the 2 sizes, that will reflect of the speedo showing
riding a lower speed than reality. I can correct this mentally so to not go over speed limit - it's really not an issue for me,
as I am also not a lead foot driver.

The thinking behind this is that the bigger tires will give me a higher ground clearance - 0,45 inch higher.
I know I can loose a bit of aerodynamic efficiency, but in Quebec, when I have 8 inches of snow,
getting a bit of higher clearance could be better than loosing aero efficiency for the winter months.
It lowers the probability of my Volt doing the snow plow's job...

Did anybody tried this bigger sized tires or have experience of it that could be shared?

Thanks,

Francois
B2653
2.3kW solar grid tied

·
Registered
216 Posts
Sure, larger diameter = more ground clearance (be sure to use Actual rolling circumference, as low pressures/cold weather/soft(er) sidewalls will result in less actual ground clearance increase than you might think). As long as you are aware of the speedometer thing you should be good.

One thing - the inner wheelwells on My volt are pretty close to the tire tread, even when pointed straight ahead (fronts). You will want to be careful about the tires rubbing on the inner fenders. Also look at the Passenger side rear - where the plastic covers the fuel filler stuff behind the tire - it's Close there..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.