GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! Loving my used 2012 Volt, but want more from my base unit stereo. Can I buy a used bose volt subwoofer (unit with amp), and install it with my non bose audio system?
Thanks!

·
Registered
501 Posts
Not quite that easy, but not too hard either, do a search on here.
I did it in my gen 1.
The wiring is not present with the base system.
I got the subwoofer cheap on eBay and an amp that works down to 1 ohm which the Bose sub is.
Tapped into one of the rear door speakers for the input, and it worked and sounded great

Actually found the info on the amp I used: Kicker 12 PX200.1 PX Powersport Mono Amplifier
it is made for motorcycles or golf cart applications so it draws very little power which makes it perfect for the Volt.
and it is stable down to 1/2 ohm which makes it perfect for the 1 ohm Bose sub.

·
Registered
118 Posts
If you don't have the bose sub in there now, there is ample space to mount any small 8" sub down there. I purchased a powered 8" under-seat sub and tucked it in there. This one:
http://www.amazon.com/Kicker-Hideaway-Compact-Powered-Sub/dp/B007LQWSYC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1460120659&sr=8-1&keywords=kicker+powered+subwoofer
And just spliced into the rear speaker wires in the B-Pillar. With the 12V battery right back there under the trunk floor it was a snap to wire up. It also came with a remote bass level that I mounted up front under the dash by my left knee (by the dash menu rocker).

BUT... wasn't quite happy with the amount of bass, so I replaced that sub under the floor with just an Rockford AMP and now use this Pioneer sub in the rear:
http://www.amazon.com/PIONEER-TSSWX2502-Shallow-Mount-Pre-Loaded-Enclosure/dp/B00JQTU3QC/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1460120765&sr=8-4&keywords=pioneer+10+inch+subwoofer
Doesn't take up much space in the back and blends right in with the black carpet.

·
Registered
266 Posts
There is a write up about putting in a sub using the Bose amp input. If it were me I wouldn't install the small Bose sub, opting for a much more powerful powered sub.

·
Registered
143 Posts
If you don't have the bose sub in there now, there is ample space to mount any small 8" sub down there. I purchased a powered 8" under-seat sub and tucked it in there. This one:
http://www.amazon.com/Kicker-Hideaway-Compact-Powered-Sub/dp/B007LQWSYC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1460120659&sr=8-1&keywords=kicker+powered+subwoofer
And just spliced into the rear speaker wires in the B-Pillar. With the 12V battery right back there under the trunk floor it was a snap to wire up. It also came with a remote bass level that I mounted up front under the dash by my left knee (by the dash menu rocker).

BUT... wasn't quite happy with the amount of bass, so I replaced that sub under the floor with just an Rockford AMP and now use this Pioneer sub in the rear:
http://www.amazon.com/PIONEER-TSSWX2502-Shallow-Mount-Pre-Loaded-Enclosure/dp/B00JQTU3QC/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1460120765&sr=8-4&keywords=pioneer+10+inch+subwoofer
Doesn't take up much space in the back and blends right in with the black carpet.
In regards to the kicker, does it deliver the promised range of low end with some kick? Im liking the look of this but am hesitant to drop the cash. just want better sound not looking for anything too thumpy that will rattle things. been there done that.

want to sell the kicker if you still have it?

·
Registered
118 Posts
In regards to the kicker, does it deliver the promised range of low end with some kick? Im liking the look of this but am hesitant to drop the cash. just want better sound not looking for anything too thumpy that will rattle things. been there done that.

want to sell the kicker if you still have it?
I would say, yeah, it does deliver a bit more bass to the car. It's a small, sealed 8" sub so it's not going to rattle any windows, that's for sure. It did fit in the cavity under the back where the bose sub goes, so that was a plus. I just wanted a bit more thump that it could provide. The nice thing about it is that it would also probably fit under the driver seat (it's intended purpose) if you wanted a more up-close experience.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts