GM Volt Forum banner

Installing Android Auto on 2016 (Gen 2)

8K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  flyingdutchman 
#1 · (Edited)
When I purchased my 2016 volt in November 2015, it did not come with an android auto pre-installed. I was told that I would need to bring it back to have it installed a few months later. Since the dealer where I purchased it, was too far from my house, I took my car to the nearest dealer (Selman in Orange, CA). They refused to do the installation and informed me that I would need to take it to where I had purchased the car from. Unfortunately, I never got around to it. In fact, I still don't have the android auto on my 2016 Volt 😢

Rotolo Chevy, where I purchased my car from, wants to charge me for this service now since the car is out of warranty. Does anyone here know whether I can do this myself?

PLEASE HELP

#2 ·
Sadly no.... It is a piece of Software registered to your vehicles computers. There are aftermarket ways to do it. But they are very expensive and may potentially void any other remaining warranties you may have.

Besides a good will gesture... It has been 4.5 years... And while I totally side with you emotionally, dealers are realistically not obligated to do anything for free out warranty. Sigh... I know it sucks, but maybe talking to the dealer and getting a reduction in the price might make it better.

Besides. Android Auto is worth every penny for the things it allows your Volt to do. Like remote starting your Chevrolet Volt with your voice was a game changer to me. Unlocking my front door via voice, turning the temperature in my house... It really is awesome and because it's android, it's always up to date.

If I were you, swallow it and do it!

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

#5 ·
Sadly no.... It is a piece of Software registered to your vehicles computers. There are aftermarket ways to do it. But they are very expensive and may potentially void any other remaining warranties you may have.

Besides a good will gesture... It has been 4.5 years... And while I totally side with you emotionally, dealers are realistically not obligated to do anything for free out warranty. Sigh... I know it sucks, but maybe talking to the dealer and getting a reduction in the price might make it better.

Besides. Android Auto is worth every penny for the things it allows your Volt to do. Like remote starting your Chevrolet Volt with your voice was a game changer to me. Unlocking my front door via voice, turning the temperature in my house... It really is awesome and because it's android, it's always up to date.

If I were you, swallow it and do it!

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Thanks!

#3 ·
I bought an early 2016 that didn't have AA installed. I was told it would cost me about $180 to get the Mylink reflashed. I contacted GM and they provided a $100 voucher to help defray the cost. I took it to the local Chevy dealer and they did the work. When I went to pay for it, the didn't charge me. The voucher subsequently expired, but I use AA almost every time I drive it. I would call GM customer service and ask for something similar.

#7 ·
All you can do is call gm directly and ask for the upgrade without paying. Tell them you got misled by a dealer early on who claimed they cannot do the install and only the dealer who bought the car could do it. That restriction should not be part of actual policy, so they should cave and do it for free. File a formal bb, and nhtsa complaint if they refuse.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.