GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My power is out and I have a new 1500 watt/3000 peak inverter sitting here. 2013 volt... I can't find the threads quickly to make sure this is okay. I can just wire up to my 12v battery and turn the car on and just keep the power draw under 1500 w right? Nothing special?

·
Registered
2013 Volt
1,416 Posts
Is your inverter capable of providing a pure sine wave output? If not, make sure you aren't feeding anything for which this is a problem. If you've had the recall done to prevent the car from starting the engine if left on in EV mode, you'll need to put a heavy rubber band around the shifter button to keep the car on after ~2 hrs in Park. Also, your install should include a high amperage inline fuse (forget the name). Yes 1500/3000W inverter is OK. Hope your fridge doesn't spike above the 3KW level. Even my newish fridge is touchy on this. Make sure you have good extension cord(s), and open up the car windows and/or hatch to vent the heat generated.

ClarksonCote, a moderator here, is the real expert on this stuff and was selling a well done wiring kit for this, but I'm not sure whether he still has any left -- he announced a last chance to buy; he'll probably post here if I've failed to mention something important.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Yes, but be careful how hot the inverter gets. I had no trouble running my fridge from a 1000W sine wave inverter.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My inverter is a modified sine wave Style, so probably don't Power Electronics like computers and such? I don't know if the turnoff recall has been done so I guess we will find out. It's probably not going to heard anything right?

Thanks a lot for the quick replies.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Computers and laptops and chargers will be fine, but I wouldn't want to run a motor (or refrigerator compressor) on a modified sine wave.

·
Registered
36 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Thanks, Biker, I hadn't heard the rubber band around the shifter idea. Last time I looked up this topic people were holding down the brake pedal with a broomstick.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
A company called EV Extend sells 1500W true sine wave inverter kits for the Volt, which have been widely used and tested. If you get your own 1500W inverter, get a reputed true sine wave unit. If you already got an inverter, and it is not true sine wave, you have to decide which loads you want to put on the inverter. Each appliance behaves differently.

When you connect your inverter to your battery, do not use crocodile clips. Bolt the cables to the battery posts, or create a wiring kit similar to the one from EV Extend, which ensures that your inverter has a solid connection to the battery.

As many have already pointed out, if your 2013 Volt has the latest software updates, it will auto-shutdown after 2 hours or so of inactivity. There are a few ways to go around this limit a) use a rubber band or velcro strap to depress the shift lever knob or b) Engage parking brake, use good wheel chucks on at least two wheels (both sides) and shift to neutral.

In either case, make sure your Volt is parked in a well ventilated area because the gas engine could start (because of temperature or low traction battery charge level, among others).

For your reference, http://www.evextend.com/Emergency-Power-Kit.php

·
Registered
2 Posts
The interference is negligable and out of all the devices I have plugged into the socket, zune, laptop, cell phone, dremel I cannot tell any difference than had the device been plugged in a normal wall socket. Also I run the battery cable for my Subwoofer amplifier along the same path and there is no interference from or with the amp in the slightest. Trust me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts