GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed a Remin dash kit. The material I selected is 'real platinum wood', which seems to match best the pebble interior of my Volt. I only used half of the kit ('less is more'). The fit was very good, installation easy and the wood is flawless.
DSC00200.jpg
The real wood fineer is covered by a thick transparent material that looks like shiny laquer, but feels more like sticky rubber. Its better to avoid that sensory dissonance. Therefore I did not use it on any places that you would touch (such as the steering wheel or the center console). The many odd-shaped holes for the buttons in the center console cover look pretty awkward anyways.

Overall, I'm quite content with the result. The wood accents makes the Volt's interior look a bit more like other cars in the $45K category.

DSC00198.jpg DSC00184.jpg DSC00202.jpg DSC00190.jpg

·
Registered
131 Posts
That looks really nice, especially the trim around the black console. I'm debating this kit to tone down the BRIGHT WHITE console in mine. Thanks for the photos.

·
Super Moderator
6,244 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Nothing to be removed. The pieces are self adhesive and just stick to what is alredy there. Pretty easy really.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Now you can say "I'm not a tree-hugger, I cut them down to decorate my car." ;)

Just kidding, looks really high quality and awesome. I love to see how others mod their Volts.

·
Registered
867 Posts
WOW! That does look great! The pieces looks like they are molded to fix around corners, is that correct?

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
Very tasteful and elegant at the same time. It's not often I think favorably on accessories like this, but for some reason the pieces you chose to use and omit we're spot on.

Kudo's

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Not really my cup of tea, but it does look as well done as if it came off a factory assembly line.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Additional info on the wood grain dash kit

The Remin wood grain dash kit kit came as 3 flat cardboard sheets with the parts as 'stickers' on them. The surfaces in the car must be well de-greased with alcohol for maximum adhesion. All parts are flat so you must carefully bend them around the curvatures. Remin did a very good job in fitting the pieces, making installation quick. Its possible to remove any part without a trace and without damage to the car. Re-applying them will likely have less adhesive power. Some parts are very thin and look delicate (such as the rim around the defroster outlet), but the material is very strong and flexible. Time will tell how well it lasts and how well it stays on in heat and cold.

I think it looks pretty good and takes away a bit of the rental-car-like cheapness of some parts of the Chevy interior. Its not Rolls Royce level woodwork, but I think it nicely breaks the sea of plastic. Especially on the hard plastic back doors it does wonders.

My main issue with this stick-on wood is that it looks better than it feels. Really great materials that looks good are also good to the touch (the iPad comes to mind, as does my wife). This rubbery Remin material better remains untouched.

I had ordered some samples first, which made it clear that the pebble interior matches light wood best. For the other interiors solid colors are likely better. IMHO, the center console cover is ugly in any finish and also interferes with the touch control operation.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Maybe I missed it, but how much and where did you order? Looks great.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Maybe I missed it, but how much and where did you order? Looks great.
Total cost for the premium wood and with the optional overhead panel was $297.54. See the hyperlink in the first post of this thread for the website that sells it. It is custom made in New Jersey and took about 2 weeks to arrive.

·
Administrator
20,019 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Ewww

Sorry to say that it doesn't look appealing. I would've went for aluminum or carbon fiber, but then again I'm on 29 years old.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The first one that you posted actually seems to show evidence of peeling away.

Is that what's going on, or am I just seeing things?

·
Registered
609 Posts
Sorry to say that it doesn't look appealing. I would've went for aluminum or carbon fiber, but then again I'm on 29 years old.
I agree with you, glad the OP likes it but to me, the wood grain thingy was a fad that no longer appeals to me. I'm 46. lol

Ian B

1 - 20 of 28 Posts