GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Having seen a number of posts on this site regarding LED strip lights on the headlamps I thought I’d give this a try, and do the set-up in a way that would be easy to remove if it proved unsatisfactory.

First, for this application you must have waterproof side-emitting LED strips.

My initial goal was to figure where I wanted to place the strips. At first I thought I’d outline the nice curved shape under the headlamps. As the length of this area is about 36 inches I quickly discovered that none of the suppliers of LED strips, save one, make them long enough for this location. Neither SuperBright Leds, Oznium, or any of the other vendors sell strips longer than about 23” (the actual length of the strip with LEDs embedded, not including the leads for wiring the strip to power). Some include the power leads in the length advertised, which I think is deceptive.

But I did find one vendor in China that sold the strips in custom configurations and lengths. That’s LEDLightsWorld.com. You can order by the foot and the strips are top quality, better than all the other samples I tested from other vendors. I ordered two 48” lengths of the 6000k white. And they arrived in only two days, very sturdily packaged and wound on a plastic reel.

So with my custom LED strips in hand, I attempted to fit them under the lower lip of the headlamps. Forget it – it can’t be done without removing the headlamps, which requires removing the bumper. I tried everything to slip them in the gap between the bottom of the lamp and the bumper. It worked in some areas but in others the gap is just too narrow. So I gave up on this idea.

The only alternative was running the strips along the top of the headlamps. This approach has the advantage of being easily removable if you don’t like the results, so in the end I was pleased that the under-the-headlamp approach didn’t work. I aligned the strip with the lip of the hood so they are barely visible when off. However, when they’re turned the effect is marvelous.

When I wired them up powered them from an always-on empty fuse slot in the engine bay fuse box. I also included a wireless switch, a Logisys RM01 - Power control from Amazon, that enables me to turn them and off remotely from as far as 60 feet or more.

I’m pleased with the results. With the strips set on the clear part of the top of the headlamp at night the light outlines the lower edge, a nice effect shown in one of the photos below.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Looks very nice.
And now your Volt won't get confused with the thousands of others you'll see in the wild. :lol:

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Looks very nice.
And now your Volt won't get confused with the thousands of others you'll see in the wild. :lol:
That was definitely on my mind:)

Here are a few more photos taken in complete darkness. These without the headlights on. Some very interesting effects.

I have some red LED strips as well. My next experiment will be with the tail lights. Probably next weekend I'll get it done.

·
Registered
462 Posts
brake caliper covers or whatever, did you paint them, order new? I am interested. :)

I also love the wheels, and the led eye lids are awesome. Did it look like it might be possible to put them at the bottom? Or is that just dumb? I know it would be a more interesting contour. Looks like it might be in the way of the lights though if I did that.

Just curious for your input. Also, are those the flashback LED turn lights? Very nice!

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The caliper covers are from MGP. See this thread: http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?10249-MGP-Caliper-covers-Volt-design

Putting the LED strip at the bottom is impossible without removing the headlights. The gap is just not wide enough along the entire bottom edge of the headlamps. Believe me I tried.

Yes, those are the switchbacks/flashbacks. They work great -- tried to take a video while I was shooting the LEDs but ran out of daylight.

brake caliper covers or whatever, did you paint them, order new? I am interested. :)

I also love the wheels, and the led eye lids are awesome. Did it look like it might be possible to put them at the bottom? Or is that just dumb? I know it would be a more interesting contour. Looks like it might be in the way of the lights though if I did that.

Just curious for your input. Also, are those the flashback LED turn lights? Very nice!

·
Registered
462 Posts
Thank you! They look amazing.

Also, I posted in that thread, I guess several days went by and I didn't check on it. Great pictures. Awesome. I'm ordering that!

·
Registered
218 Posts
Very nice!! What is the difficulty level of the install?

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Installation of the strips themselves is pretty easy as they have 3m adhesive on the back. I lined up the strips about 3/16' from the upper outside edge of the headlamps. The only trick is threading the leads for ground and power thru the lips where the upper edges of the headlamps meet the body work -- the strips have to be bent a bit. I'll try to take some photos tomorrow of those details.

Wiring is also pretty easy. Depending on what you want, there are several switched and always on empty fuse slots in the engine compartment fuse box. I used Bussman fuse taps for that purpose.

I took my time and it all took me about 90 minutes. I also did it outside with temps here at about 33 degrees. My wife thinks I'm crazy:)

Very nice!! What is the difficulty level of the install?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Sorry ... for the not so well informed, what are switchbacks/flashbacks? Also, what wheels are those and not sure I saw the answer, but are they the same weight as the stock wheels, or heavier?

·
Registered
455 Posts
Nice! Hmm I seem to be saying that to you a lot! ;)
How do they look off? If you don't mind...

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry ... for the not so well informed, what are switchbacks/flashbacks? Also, what wheels are those and not sure I saw the answer, but are they the same weight as the stock wheels, or heavier?
Switchbacks are turn signal LEDs that show white when the parking lights are on and blink from white to amber and back when the turn signal is on. Very cool. There's a post about these, which inspired me to get and install them (a real PIA, as others have noted).

The rims are 18x8 ASA GT5 Chrome. They weigh 22.4 pounds. Shod with Michelin P225/50R-18 Michelin HydroEdge with Green X.
tires. Don't know what the stock 17" wheels weigh, but as these are larger I'm assuming they're heavier.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nice! Hmm I seem to be saying that to you a lot! ;)
How do they look off? If you don't mind...
When off there's nothing to see as most of the strip is hidden by the hood. I you look carefully you can see the edge of the strip. Again, I'll post some photos tomorrow.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Nice job. If you could post a photo of the LED light strips and the Volt's daytime running lights on that would be great. I was thinking that it might be nice to have them turn on with the stock LED daytime running lights. Thanks.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Nice job. If you could post a photo of the LED light strips and the Volt's daytime running lights on that would be great. I was thinking that it might be nice to have them turn on with the stock LED daytime running lights. Thanks.
I wonder if a well-placed and well-calibrated light sensor aimed at the DRLs could do such a thing.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
As I have the wireless switch I can turn them on with the daytime running lights. That was the way I ran all day after I set them up. Will post a photo tomorrow.

·
Registered
317 Posts
You mentioned that you bought two 48 inch strips. How long does the strip need to be for the location above the headlights as you did? Could you post the part number for LED strips On ledlightsworld.com?

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
For the location I actually used 30 inches will be enough. That will provide a little extra.

This is what I ordered:

Side View Flexible LED Light Strip 18 LEDs (HK-F335X30N-12-X)
Color Pure White(5500-6500K)
Waterproof Type Waterproof-Surface Injection (IP65)
Background Black Background

You mentioned that you bought two 48 inch strips. How long does the strip need to be for the location above the headlights as you did? Could you post the part number for LED strips On ledlightsworld.com?

·
Registered
273 Posts
Side View Flexible LED Light Strip 18 LEDs (HK-F335X30N-12-X)
Color Pure White(5500-6500K)
Waterproof Type Waterproof-Surface Injection (IP65)
Background Black Background

when i view the cart, it only shows background as yellow or white. do you know why??

1 - 20 of 58 Posts