GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed the Clipper Creek LC-25 today. It was super-easy, as I had an unused dryer receptacle in my garage that had 20 amp breakers, which leads me to my question below. I installed a Leviton 14-30 dryer socket and put a matching plug on the end of the CC charger to make it portable. Start to finish-about 45 minutes. Could have done it in less, but the wires coming out of the charger were stranded and I soldered the ends to make a firmer connection on the socket connections, as it's designed to clamp down on solid wires.

I plugged the car in and charged for about an hour to check the temp on everything and everything's cool to the touch. Actually, the CC charger is slightly warm on the front, but I think that's normal.

Really wanted to say that Clipper Creek was awesome to order from. Within minutes of making my order, they had confirmed and given me the shipping information. I got it the next day!! Great service, plus I was still able to take their little quiz and get $50 off.

The one question I have is the charger calls for a 25 amp breaker, even though the maximum draw is 20 amps and the Volt of course only draws approximately 16 amps. Do I really need to install a 25 amp breaker? I probably will when I get around to it, but I'm just curious what you guys think.

Steve

·
Registered
177 Posts
Under normal conditions the 25 amp breaker is not needed for the Volt 3300 watt charger. 3300 watts divided by 240 volts is 13.75 amps. If the house voltage drops for some reason the amps may increase to maintain the 3300 watt charge rating.
The worst thing that can happen is the 20 amp breaker will trip.
It's a good idea to install the 25 amp breaker anyhow.

Bill

·
Registered
144 Posts
I would do a 30 Amp breaker to be on the safe side and if for some reason you have more draw later on from something else. Just my opinion. Glen

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Check the guage of the wire on the circuit. If it is #10 or heavier than you can put in a 25 amp breaker. If it is #12 than stick with the 20 amp breaker. If it is #14 than you need to run heavier wire. I doubt though that it would be that guage. With the volt max draw at 16 amps you should be fine and within the 80% load rule with the 20amp breaker. If you were to charge a vehicle with a higher draw than the volt, then you will need to upgrade the breaker and wiring if necessary and would likely trip the breaker if left at 20amps as the circuit would heat up.

The breaker is meant to prevent overheating the wiring and the wire guage and breaker size need to match up.

Do not go with the 30 amp breaker with the LCS25. The manual says not to over protect the circuit and to use a 25 amp breaker. The reason for that is if the unit were to draw more current due to a defect, it needs to trip at 25 amps and if a 30 amp breaker was installed then the unit may overheat before the breaker would and that is a safety concern. Breakers are pretty cheap so get what is spec'd and replace in the future if you need more amperage and have heavy enough wire guage.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
The one question I have is the charger calls for a 25 amp breaker, even though the maximum draw is 20 amps and the Volt of course only draws approximately 16 amps. Do I really need to install a 25 amp breaker? I probably will when I get around to it, but I'm just curious what you guys think.
You're perfectly fine with the 20 amp breaker if you only plug in a Volt or earlier Leaf, as they won't draw more than about 15 amps.

If you decided to plug in an EV with a higher capacity charger, there's a slight chance you could pop the breaker. The LCS-25 actually advertises 20 amps available (4.8kW @ 240V) so if you plugged in a Tesla or a newer Leaf (6.6kW charger) they'd likely try to draw the full 20 amps. Most breakers won't trip right at their rated capacity, rather about 20-30% higher. From the standpoint of electrical code, you're only supposed to load a circuit to 80% of it's rated capacity. (which is why the LCS-25 specifies a 25A breaker even though it's limited to 20A)

If you stick with the Volt the 20A breaker is perfectly safe. I plug my LCS-25 into a 20A circuit at work all the time. If you plan to plug in another EV and you should consider upgrading the breaker to 25 amps (assuming the wire size is adequate - i.e. 10ga)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts