GM Volt Forum banner

81 - 96 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks so much for the video on the install. I just bought a 2014 with 35000 miles on her. We had her serviced at the local
Chevy dealer and the only rec's that came back were the 2 filters needing replaced. For a nice sum of $96 plus tax. Declined on that and did it myself.
Mine to had no cabin filter in her upon opening the compartment. Seems odd, and a scam by the dealer to do the install now on the "recommended" time frame of the car....

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Thanks so much for the video on the install. I just bought a 2014 with 35000 miles on her. We had her serviced at the local
Chevy dealer and the only rec's that came back were the 2 filters needing replaced. For a nice sum of $96 plus tax. Declined on that and did it myself.
Mine to had no cabin filter in her upon opening the compartment. Seems odd, and a scam by the dealer to do the install now on the "recommended" time frame of the car....
Not a scam. Gen 1 volts just didn't come with them. Any that have them were added by owners or at the request of owners.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just picked up our "new to us" 2012 Volt. I will be putting in a new (or replacing) the cabin filter this very weekend.
Thank you for the Video and the other info.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Had my amazing 2013 Volt for 6 months now. Had no clue for the missing cabin filter, I just ordered one- AC Delco PRO CF1197C paid $14.12 from e-bay. Thanks to the OP for the instructions and pictures!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Update:
The easiest task I’ve done in quiet some time. The previous owner was aware and had placed filter /arrow up but still.../
Got it replaced in no time all you need is regular screwdriver and maybe some light.
Cabin air is different. Out of curiosity drove a day without a filter find noticed a significant air flow or noice from the vents.

·
Registered
104 Posts
After just shy of 35 months and 34K miles, I replaced my cabin filter. Once again, I went with the TYC 800149C carbon filter for ~$11 on Amazon.

Here's a pic of the old filter. The carbon leaves it a bit gray to begin with, but you can see a lot of dirt on it starting around 1/4 of the way down. I'm sure it costs a bit of efficiency, but that's crud that I wasn't breathing in.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Just checked mine after about 2 years since I put it in. Right now, it's still pretty clean. Admittedly I turn off the climate control system whenever possible, I prefer to drive with the windows cracked open slightly. The other 6 months of the year I'll use heat or AC.

·
Registered
22 Posts
hi everyone, after so many years, has anyone found a real HEPA grade filter or modification for 1-GEN Volt?
myne(2015 1 gen) had no filter, I got Denckermann filter but even i switch to inside cabin I still getting smoke smell from outside :/
maybe my car do not close valve ?

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
hi everyone, after so many years, has anyone found a real HEPA grade filter or modification for 1-GEN Volt?
myne(2015 1 gen) had no filter, I got Denckermann filter but even i switch to inside cabin I still getting smoke smell from outside :/
HEPA does particulates, not odor. Charcoal-impregnated filters help with odors, but don't/can't eliminated everything. I've got one of these

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00I8IU5DS/ref=psdc_15727101_t2_B00I8IU5EW

and I think it helps, but I might be fooling myself, because I still know if I'm downwind of someone's trash fire. On the other hand, it doesn't cost that much more than a cheap filter so ...

·
Registered
2018 Volt Premier w/ACC
429 Posts
Not a scam. Gen 1 volts just didn't come with them. Any that have them were added by owners or at the request of owners.
That's right. Our 2013 premium trim Volt didn't have one. I put one using a Buick part at the time.

·
Registered
22 Posts
HEPA does particulates, not odor. Charcoal-impregnated filters help with odors, but don't/can't eliminated everything. I've got one of these

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00I8IU5DS/ref=psdc_15727101_t2_B00I8IU5EW

and I think it helps, but I might be fooling myself, because I still know if I'm downwind of someone's trash fire. On the other hand, it doesn't cost that much more than a cheap filter so ...
thanks, so you do suggest to get this one.

I was looking for a visual comparison between those air filter and cant find one, to really understand whats the difference.

even I choose to switch form auto recalculation to manual it does not work for me.(filter is installed) I still get air from outside :(

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
thanks, so you do suggest to get this one.
I already said I think it helps, but I leave room for that someone else might think it doesn't. I can't really make a recommendation that way.

I was looking for a visual comparison between those air filter and cant find one, to really understand whats the difference.
HEPA ones typically brag about it. Charcoal ones have a thin but notable layer of black grit between two layers of filter, and tend to photograph as having grey paper instead of white.

even I choose to switch form auto recalculation to manual it does not work for me.(filter is installed) I still get air from outside :(
That won't change, and it's working how it was designed to. The Volt's not an airtight submarine for *handwave* reasons. Mostly related to anti-fogging measures. This isn't the only such compromise, and there's a TON of threads arguing about why and whether it was good or necessary. The filter's after the intake though.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Not a scam, just GM being as cheap as possible.

·
Registered
1 Posts
O'Reilly sells one called Microgard. Less than 25 bucks. I'm tempted, but I can't find anything about the expect airflow of HEPA versus "regular." I've read a standard is about 1 stop on the fan, or about 6% more energy on my 2014. I'd like to know if HEPA is even more.

81 - 96 of 96 Posts