GM Volt Forum banner

61 - 80 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for the photos and video, indeed a 5 minute exercise.

Fram cabin filter CF10775 fit just fine in my 2015. I confirmed the airflow, using a paper strip, is arrow pointing down. I used my handy silver Sharpie to add an arrow pointing down on the outside filter cover (it never hurts to make things self documenting;)).

Shame on Chevy/GM for not marking the cover.

·
Registered
92 Posts
cabin filter just replaced

cabin 1.jpg cabin 2.jpg When I first got my 2014 Volt, I installed the GM/Delphi/Mann carbon cabin air filter. I was impressed with how heavy it was, with the weight implying to me better filtration. I just replaced it with a Mahle filter, since the Delphi was out of stock. The Mahle is much lighter and the pleat density is not as high as the Delphi filter. I will probably order the Delphi cabin filter in advance next time. Pics of the used Delphi filter that is 14 months old with 16K miles on it are attached.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
View attachment 72921 View attachment 72929 ...Pics of the used Delphi filter that is 14 months old with 16K miles on it are attached.
Good grief. That is one dirty filter. Is that all from cabin intake air or is there some sort of problem in the HVAC system of your Volt? Maybe mold buildup?

Late night comics tease about the air in NJ. I replace the filter annually (I have pollen allergies) and have never seen as much as a smudge of dirt or a tinge of grey.

KNS

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Good grief. That is one dirty filter. Is that all from cabin intake air or is there some sort of problem in the HVAC system of your Volt? Maybe mold buildup?

Late night comics tease about the air in NJ. I replace the filter annually (I have pollen allergies) and have never seen as much as a smudge of dirt or a tinge of grey.

KNS
All my cars for the past 15 years had cabin filters and the only one that was that bad was the SLS. That was probably 'cause it took almost two hours to change it.

·
Registered
92 Posts
The darkness may be misleading as it is a carbon filter. When I inspected the surface and between the pleats it was as expected to me.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
The darkness may be misleading as it is a carbon filter. When I inspected the surface and between the pleats it was as expected to me.
Good point. I have not been using carbon filters. Now that I know they are available in a size to fit the Volt I will start to use them.

KNS

·
Registered
25 Posts
My DIY filter is better than no filter.

Call me cheap but I paid $10 for this filter years ago to do our 07 Civic, 10 Prius and now the 12 volt. :) still have leftovers. None of these cars came with a filter so my diy filter is better than no filter. It might look wrinkly in there but once you close the door it makes no difference.

20150327_162218.jpg 20150327_161623.jpg

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Call me cheap but I paid $10 for this filter years ago to do our 07 Civic, 10 Prius and now the 12 volt. :) still have leftovers. None of these cars came with a filter so my diy filter is better than no filter. It might look wrinkly in there but once you close the door it makes no difference.

View attachment 75113 View attachment 75105
A great idea. I use Filtrete for my house HVAC system. They are a very good filter. The only concern I would have with your approach would be air bypassing the filter if it weren't snug against the housing. Have you had any problem with that? To what dimensions do you cut the filter for a snug fit in the Volt?

Thanks in advance.

KNS

·
Administrator
19,987 Posts

·
Administrator
19,987 Posts

View attachment 75113 View attachment 75105
lol, I did the same thing but without taping the cut edges. Mine work too, as they get grey from truck diesel soot over time.

·
Registered
20 Posts
What's the trick to release the center of the cabin air filter slot cover? I've used a long thin screwdrive to press, push up and push down, and can't get it to come loose.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I got a AC Delco pro filter with carbon on amazon and installed it in about 5 minutes. YouTube is amazingly helpful.

Anyway, just dropping in to say, no noticeable range impact, and the smell from the last owner is now gone. (after like 10 minutes, actually)

The best "upgrade" to the volt for under $15!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
How often should I check/change the cabin air filter?

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Back in the olden days, you'd shine a trouble light thru a filter to see if it was plugged. If you see lots of light, it's still good.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Anyone using the K&N cabin air filter? I like that you can clean it. It should last the lifetime of the car.
Loved having one for engine air on previous ICE, but blower cars go through a LOT of air. The biggest perk was NOT having the offer of a new air filter after the techs saw the K&N sticker on the housing. Because I think think I ran about 50% on

"Oh, you need a new air filter."
"I changed it 3000 miles ago and looked at it this morning."
"But it's a high-maintenance item and"
"Put it back."

It actually needed replacement about once a year, as anyone other than someone working in a lube shop would expect. But it took four cleanings to break even on the filter and chemicals to break even on the K&N and the cabin filter is still pretty snowy after a year, so I'm less sure about recouping the costs of buying all the stuff again just for that. I don't think I'd get even two more changes of the engine air filter, so that investment's probably not a good one.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
How often should I check/change the cabin air filter?
Virginia is a lot different than Illlinois, but down here I tend to check my cabin filter just after pollen season in the summer and that almost always results in a filter change as there is usually about 2-4mm of sticky yellow pollen sitting on the surface of the filter. No guesswork needed here, it's pretty obvious.

Sometimes it makes me cringe thinking that all that just blows through my Jeep's air system... yuk.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Loved having one for engine air on previous ICE, but blower cars go through a LOT of air. The biggest perk was NOT having the offer of a new air filter after the techs saw the K&N sticker on the housing. Because I think think I ran about 50% on

"Oh, you need a new air filter."
"I changed it 3000 miles ago and looked at it this morning."
"But it's a high-maintenance item and"
"Put it back."

It actually needed replacement about once a year, as anyone other than someone working in a lube shop would expect. But it took four cleanings to break even on the filter and chemicals to break even on the K&N and the cabin filter is still pretty snowy after a year, so I'm less sure about recouping the costs of buying all the stuff again just for that. I don't think I'd get even two more changes of the engine air filter, so that investment's probably not a good one.
K&N for the volt ICE doesn't make sense since the engine runs much less if at all compared to a regular ICE car. Also people tend to put too much oil on the filter and damage the MAF sensor. I rather use a dry washable performance air filter. On cars using only MAP in the intake manifold there is no problem using K&N. I've used them with MAF on my previous cars and never had problems. You don't need to apply too much oil and let the filter air dry before reinstalling.

For the cabin air filter, I'd rather have a washable filter like K&N. Maybe its not as effective as a brand new paper filter, but if you change your filters every year, you can save money in the long run and always have a clean filter that doesn't restrict the system. Also you do less waste since you only buy one filter. I don't know about you , but I don't drive an electric car just because I like the drivetrain. Also because it pollutes less than a regular car.
Here in Canada the paper cabin filter costs more than in US. I can get the K&N for not much more than a paper filter. I recoup the cost of the K&N with cleaning kit after two air filter change more or less.

61 - 80 of 96 Posts