GM Volt Forum banner

41 - 60 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
James;

Thanks for the DIY w photos. It made it a 5 minute job for this non-mechanic.

Ian B

·
Registered
3 Posts
If the TYC doesn't take care of the pollen for me, I may purchase a 3M Elite Allergen furnace filter and modify it to fit the Volt's 10-inch by 8-inch filter slot.
I tried this last night with a similar filter: Honeywell-16-in-x-20-in-x-1-in-Ultimate-Allergen-Pleated-Air-Filter

The 16x20x1 size works great for this. Just cut it into 4 8x10 pieces and you've got 4 filters for $20. The fit is quite snug in the filter box. I was behind a few diesel trucks on the way to work this morning and didn't smell anything. Usually I have to roll a window down at least once during my commute to get that crap out of the cabin. So far so good!

I did do quite a bit of looking for a HEPA filter that might be trimmable to fit in the Volt. With all the labeling confusion around *real* HEPA filters and the fact that most of them are plastic framed (made for air filter appliances or vacuums) and much thicker than 1", I just went with the furnace filter. $5 per filter instead of $12-15 for the TYC and a known performance rating (FPR 10 / MERV 13).

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Thanks for the detailed description... I was able to install the air filter in my 2013 volt in no more than 5 mins. I used this part: http://amzn.com/B003YOF66C
Just received and installed the same filter this evening. Although it's branded AC Delco it's made in Germany by Mann and is very impressive in appearance.
Fits perfectly.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Just received and installed the same filter this evening. Although it's branded AC Delco it's made in Germany by Mannn and is very impressive in appearance.
Fits perfectly.
Yes... The filter is very impressive. It does impede airflow a bit but I found a setting in 2013 Volt configuration where you can set the fan speed on Auto to low, medium or high. Default is medium and I changed it to high (ps: this is different from the regular fan speed settings). That fixed the low airflow issue for me.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I tried this last night with a similar filter: Honeywell-16-in-x-20-in-x-1-in-Ultimate-Allergen-Pleated-Air-Filter

The 16x20x1 size works great for this. Just cut it into 4 8x10 pieces and you've got 4 filters for $20. The fit is quite snug in the filter box. I was behind a few diesel trucks on the way to work this morning and didn't smell anything. Usually I have to roll a window down at least once during my commute to get that crap out of the cabin. So far so good!

I did do quite a bit of looking for a HEPA filter that might be trimmable to fit in the Volt. With all the labeling confusion around *real* HEPA filters and the fact that most of them are plastic framed (made for air filter appliances or vacuums) and much thicker than 1", I just went with the furnace filter. $5 per filter instead of $12-15 for the TYC and a known performance rating (FPR 10 / MERV 13).
So if I found an HEPA of 8x10in x1 inch thick it will fit right there?

Anyone was able to fit an Activated carbon to help filter the odor?

·
Registered
341 Posts

So do you add anything to the edges of the cut up Fitrete filter to get a good seal. Love the idea, thanks.

·
Registered
268 Posts

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
For reference, the GM# is 13271190 for the standard filter and #13271191 for the carbon/particulate version.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Good info...I'm surprised to learn that Chevy provided a filter housing but doesn't actually provide a filter element! I just ordered one from Amazon, SoCal gets very dusty when the Santa Ana winds kick up.
As am I. My owners manual never mentioned it. Was a TSB issued to explain why the element was not installed when new? I like everything about my Volt, but so far that's the weirdest thing about the car I've learned.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I installed the cabin filter last night. It was really easy to do and nowhere near the hassle of changing the one in my last car. I'm surprised GM didn't include the filter since there is a spot for it. After seeing how dirty the one was in my previous car, I wanted to get on installed on the Volt.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Thanks for the pictures and video! Perfect timing; I just ordered cabin filters! I have to post on here or I won't be able to find the thread later.

41 - 60 of 96 Posts