GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Recently there was a thread which described the installation of a unit which would allow mirroring of a cell phone as well as adding front and rear-view cameras without reprogramming of the radio. The unit is stated to be compatible with Volts having the MyLink radios. However, since the connections on the non-MyLink radios are the same as for those with MyLink, there was some discussion as to whether the unit would work with the non-MyLink cars.

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread...-to-OEM-Screen-Without-Reprogram-Installation

I have a 2012 Volt which does not have MyLink, while my wife has a 2013 with MyLink. Neither has the cameras and I would like to add them to both. So, I ordered one of the IW03GF units, figuring to try it first on the 2012. If it does not work there, I can transfer it to the 2013. The manual says that it is only for MyLink Volts. Here is what I know so far. The plugs supplied with the unit are totally compatible with the plugs on the radio. However, when I have the unit plugged into the radio and turn the vehicle on, the display screen on the infotainment unit stays blank. If I remove the 20-connector patch cord supplied with the unit, the screen lights as usual. The manual provides dip-switch settings for Volts having MyLink only. These are the same settings as for the Malibu with MyLink. There are settings for the Malibu having OEM navigation. These settings also don't work on my Volt. I believe that I have tried all of the possible combinations of dip-switch settings which differ among the Chevy models listed to no avail. I'm not enough of an expert to have any idea why the presence or absence of MyLink would make any difference here. I'm open to any and all suggestions. Bill

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I think that I have found at least one problem. There appears to be en error in the wiring of the two 20-pin plugs on one of the cables provided in the kit. I'm not totally sure of the numbering on the plug, but if we assume 1 to 10, left to right for the top row and 11 to 20 on the lower row, there is a white wire in position 2 on the plug and a black in position 12. These wires both go to the HD-Link unit. The two wires which come back to the corresponding positions on the socket has the black in the #2 position and the white in #12. I have sent an e-mail to the company to see whether this is an error.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Volt Radio Swap

This is slightly random, but perhaps you might know the answer to this since you seem to have worked on the radios of both a non-Mylink 2012 and a 2013 Volt:

Can I drop the radio from a 2013-2014 Volt (aka a MyLink radio) into a NON-Mylink 2012 Volt without much rewiring, or will I need to rewire the harnesses?

My assumption is that the wiring harnesses didn't change, since the actual inputs and outputs are virtually identical (telematics, climate controls, radio controls, backup camera), but I'm having a very difficult time actually determining whether or not this is the case.

I would really appreciate it if you happen to know the answer to this. Thanks! Sorry for threadjacking.

·
Registered
93 Posts
any updates? I heard from tech support from the manufacturer of the box the reason why the non mylink radio does not work is because the touch screen lcd needs to be a mylink touchscreen lcd. It is possible to add mylink in a non mylink chevy according to the camaro forums.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=274209

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=366584

Since the camaro guys can do it I am going to attempt to upgrade my non mylink radio in my2012 to mylink. I see an option in the MDI programmer and in SPS that I have the option for mylink when I enter my vin in https://tis2web.service.gm.com/tis2web website. I already ordered all the modules needed to do the conversion just waiting on shipping. If all works well I will publish a conversion guide for everyone.

·
Registered
199 Posts
any updates? I heard from tech support from the manufacturer of the box the reason why the non mylink radio does not work is because the touch screen lcd needs to be a mylink touchscreen lcd. It is possible to add mylink in a non mylink chevy according to the camaro forums.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=274209

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=366584

Since the camaro guys can do it I am going to attempt to upgrade my non mylink radio in my2012 to mylink. I see an option in the MDI programmer and in SPS that I have the option for mylink when I enter my vin in https://tis2web.service.gm.com/tis2web website. I already ordered all the modules needed to do the conversion just waiting on shipping. If all works well I will publish a conversion guide for everyone.
Yes. Our company does the custom programming for the vendors that offer this including the one in the link. This is not something that can be done simply with tis or anything available to a dealer this is why gm has put out multiple bulletins to not swap global a modules as it bricks them. We have the ability to build custom software for any combination including base audio with navigation (never available from the factory) non nav control panel or even adding the backup camera and guidelines.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Well I got the radio module it ended up being the wrong one for 2012 model volt it ended up being a bose mylink for a completely different car i needed a nonbose mylink. I had the radio unlocked and custom programmed by a local service in the area http://www.fixmygauges.com since that is not a valid production config from the factory. Mostly everything works besides the dedicated tone button and the EV eco stats are all out of wack since the programming is for a 2013 volt. I found the correct part number for 2012 mylink radio so if anyone want to swap they can it is almost plug and play besides the Vin programming that needs to be done it does not need custom programming if you have the correct part number part #: 22925286 . No other modules or wiring needed to be replaced beside the main radio box pin-outs are all the same throughout the years. Also about the whole Global A module blah blah don't swap radio modules you can it is just GM does not support it at the dealer level to unlock it once it is locked. You need to find someone who has the special tool to unlock the modules, once unlocked you can use SPS tool and TIS2web to program into any 2012 volt. Also radio came off of a 2014 Malibu if that matters to anyone. 2011 volts will probably work but it will need custom programming.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I hate to be that guy but this is what I was trying to relay via PM: if we did it the 2013/2014/2015/2016 (whatever lol) radio would have worked 100% correctly; heck any model year can be properly retrofit with our custom software. We can make any mylink out of any vehicle work in any vehicle (mounting tabs are on you!). It being Bose has nothing to do with it hardware wise; it's all calibration. Thats the difference between doing it right and just flashing it with whatever vin they can find that might be close to what you have, well that and doing it that way effectively bricks it from future updates. The 2012 is indeed plug and play since that's a direct cross so thats probably the best bet for anyone trying to do this on a 2012.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Sorry I'm a bit lost.

What exact parts and steps would I need to add myLink to my 2012?

Do I just need part 22925286 and have it coded?

·
Registered
93 Posts
I hate to be that guy but this is what I was trying to relay via PM: if we did it the 2013/2014/2015/2016 (whatever lol) radio would have worked 100% correctly; heck any model year can be properly retrofit with our custom software. We can make any mylink out of any vehicle work in any vehicle (mounting tabs are on you!). It being Bose has nothing to do with it hardware wise; it's all calibration. Thats the difference between doing it right and just flashing it with whatever vin they can find that might be close to what you have, well that and doing it that way effectively bricks it from future updates. The 2012 is indeed plug and play since that's a direct cross so thats probably the best bet for anyone trying to do this on a 2012.
This was an experiment. I can confirm part # 22925286 will work directly with all 2012 stock radios non bose to upgrade to mylink w/bluetooth audio streaming. No other modules need to be programmed or changed.

·
Registered
61 Posts
GTPrix, et al...

Is it possible to put mylink/nav/etc into a 2011?
Hi GTPrix,
Tried to DM you but apparently you can't accept any more messages as you inbox is full. I totally understand, as you are a busy guy. On a somewhat related note to stereo head swaps\modifications\replacements, I had a question.
What is your company and what custom services do you offer? I have a 2013 Volt. It came with the Bose system but I ripped out everything except the head unit. I took the analog L/R out of the head unit and fed it to a Fosgate sound processor [Crossover, Eq, level], Alpine 1/2 height sub in the passenger firewall, Alpine amps, and new speakers [front doors only, with dome tweeters on the dash. [The Rear door stereo speakers are disconnected. They muddy up the sound field]; I dynmated the front doors while i had the door panels off. It is a 3 way system now, sub, mid, hi. It sounds great.
That being said, is there an off the shelf Android Auto solution [Kenwood, Alpine, Pioneer?] commercially that would allow me to swap out the head unit and not lose any of the stock functionality? If not, do you some sort of custom programming service to allow this kind of functionality to the stock head unit?

Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2012 Volt non-my link. I purchased the radio unit 22925286 from Ebay and took it to a Chevy dealer to unlock and program the radio unit. The bluetooth option for calling or audio streaming does not work after the programming attempt. Everything else appears to work right. The tech attempted several times to program the radio unit without success. Any suggestions on how to get the bluetooth option working? Thanks

·
Registered
199 Posts
I have a 2012 Volt non-my link. I purchased the radio unit 22925286 from Ebay and took it to a Chevy dealer to unlock and program the radio unit. The bluetooth option for calling or audio streaming does not work after the programming attempt. Everything else appears to work right. The tech attempted several times to program the radio unit without success. Any suggestions on how to get the bluetooth option working? Thanks
Dealer isn’t going to be able to do anything right other than bricking it from future updates. Drop us a line we can fix it

·
Registered
2 Posts
Dealer isn’t going to be able to do anything right other than bricking it from future updates. Drop us a line we can fix it
Clear your inbox messages. You are at capacity. Whats your website and what is the approximate cost to program the radio unit properly?

·
Registered
6 Posts
So I just tried installing the HD-Link in my 2012 (without MyLink) and everything works except when I switch over to the link, the screen is black and stays black until I press the button again, which at that point it just goes back to the OEM display. I hear the click and everything from the control module, but it's still not working. I've spent the past few hours making sure everything was connected properly, and it all seems to be together right.

Edit: Looking into it, it might be because the touch screen LCD HAS to be a MyLink LCD. For what reason, I have no idea. Guess I just wasted $300 lol.

Edit 2: Nevermind I'm just an idiot lol. I plugged the GVIF connector into the screen directly and not into the radio unit itself. Now everything is working 100% fine. Seems that the Non-MyLink models do in fact work! The dip switches are the same for the 2013+ MyLink volts.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts