GM Volt Forum banner

Inside release for hatch door

12K views 9 replies 10 participants last post by  flyingsherpa 
#1 ·
I would really like to have an inside release button to open the hatch. I had one in my Dodge hatchback 25 years ago, and my 1998 Saturn.
No big deal but I would like to be able to open the hatch from inside when my wife trundles up with a cart full of groceries.

#2 ·
You're describing more than a release, as the hatch does not open by itself when released. Since you have to use your hand to open the hatch, you can just as easily press the release at the same time. So you are looking for a powered opener, I think.

#9 ·
I would really like to have an inside release button to open the hatch. I had one in my Dodge hatchback 25 years ago, and my 1998 Saturn.
No big deal but I would like to be able to open the hatch from inside when my wife trundles up with a cart full of groceries.
Yes!
I feel I need this for car camping! It would be so amazing to be able to "pop" the latch from inside the car... I don't mind lifting it manually... It's actually difficult for me to maneuver out the side door while laying flat in the back...

#4 ·
My little Korean built GM Aveo (Gentra) has a trunk/hatch release button on the drivers door near my knee. It's just a simple spring release pop-up mechanism. I don't think you would call it 'powered'. I'm not sure if the export version of this car has the same feature, but it beats playing around with a key in the trunk lid.

#5 ·
Probably not a bad idea. If what you mean is just a release that "pops" the trunk and allows the person to open it by hand, my last few cars all had this feature, though in truth I hadn't noticed the Volt didn't have it, so maybe it wasn't such a big deal. Maybe there is a difference between a sedan and a hatch?

#7 · (Edited)
No, pretty much everything GM works this way now.
There's been a general trend to make the hatch area more secure and more easily accessible, so having to open the door to "pop" the hatch (like some of the cars mentioned here) isnt real intuitive. It's even better in in 2012 with passive entry on the Volt. (no need to reach in your pocket to unlock the car first)

To the OP if your wife (or you once out of the car) is going to have to "lift" the hatch anyways then there's no real reason why releasing it can't be in the exact same motion? is there??

@tomkarms, there's no key to "mess with" the release button is conveniantly located directly inside the hatch lift handle. Just grab with one hand, while pushing the "soft" button pad and lift!

WOT

#6 ·
I did notice that and thought it was weird as it is so common on just about every car out there but the hatch release button is right where you have to lift up the tailgate anyways and does work very easily. Much easier than any other hidden tailgate latch buttons I've used in other cars. I won't miss having one in the interior.

#8 ·
From the department of redundant answers:

When cars had only a trunk lock that could only be opened outside with a key, an inside release button was convenient.

Most/all hatchbacks, SUVs and wagons now have a release on the outside of the hatch/tailgate itself. You just need to unlock the doors. There's a button on the inside for that if you don't have the fob with you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.