GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fall is around the corner and that means ski season is not far behind. I'm beginning my search for ski racks for the Volt. I've seen threads on the Rhino rack and the discontinued Thule rack, but does anyone have experience with the Inno rack?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Racks, of course, will not help Volt aerodynamics. I have put two sets of skis, poles and luggage inside with ease. Four sets? Hmmm.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I hate to do it but with the wife and kids plus gear it's going to be full. I plan only only using the racks when we go skiing. 3 snowboards and a set of skis. Luckily it's only a 25 minute drive and it's 75% downhill going home. It will be interesting to see how the battery holds up on the trip.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I got the Rhino Racks Aero I think they were called and a box to use for our longer trips if needed as we have a 100 Lbs dog that wants to ride comfortable in the back. I had decent milage in the 35s, beats having to get another car.

Generally very easy to put on and take off. And the Rhino box was great. The Racks actually look pretty sporty when they are on the car.

Cost me about 250 for the racks and then 450 for the box.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I am doing a hidden hitch and rear hitch mounted cargobox, I am going to mount snowboard racks horizontally on the top lid of the cargo box, that way I have the box for boots, and other gear, the boards are on the box, and aero is not impacted as bad as if the racks were on top. I had a 2006 XB with Roof Racks and my Winter MPG dropped from 28 to 23 with the racks, and as low as 21 when there were 2 or more boards in the racks.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got the Rhino Racks Aero I think they were called and a box to use for our longer trips if needed as we have a 100 Lbs dog that wants to ride comfortable in the back. I had decent milage in the 35s, beats having to get another car.

Generally very easy to put on and take off. And the Rhino box was great. The Racks actually look pretty sporty when they are on the car.

Cost me about 250 for the racks and then 450 for the box.
The Rhino Racks look nice and are similarly priced to the Inno Aero racks if I remember correctly. Ease of use is a big plus. In the threads I've read, people seem to be pretty happy with their Rhino Racks.

I am doing a hidden hitch and rear hitch mounted cargobox, I am going to mount snowboard racks horizontally on the top lid of the cargo box, that way I have the box for boots, and other gear, the boards are on the box, and aero is not impacted as bad as if the racks were on top. I had a 2006 XB with Roof Racks and my Winter MPG dropped from 28 to 23 with the racks, and as low as 21 when there were 2 or more boards in the racks.
That sounds like an interesting set up that would solve some aero problems and work better for bikes too. I like the idea of keeping all that wet gear in the box so it's not fogging up the car. Please post some pics of it when you get it set up.

·
Registered
472 Posts
That sounds like an interesting set up that would solve some aero problems and work better for bikes too. I like the idea of keeping all that wet gear in the box so it's not fogging up the car. Please post some pics of it when you get it set up.
I will - probably will not be until November or December until I get it all done, I like to procrastinate. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts