GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ambient1.jpg Ambient2.jpg

So, I've had my 2017 Volt Premier for about 3 weeks now and wanted to give an initial evaluation of the ambient lighting package.

First, be aware that it is installed at your dealership, not at the factory. In my case, since no one had ordered it before, they didn't get the wiring installed correctly when they delivered the car to me, so I needed to have their service department figure it out subsequently and get it corrected.

Second, if I had it to do over again, I'd probably skip it, considering that I could spend $575 on more valuable stuff than this. Only four LEDs are involved in this system: one each under the left and right sides of the dashboard, and one in each front cupholder. That's it.

Third, it's not very bright, even at its brightest. In daylight, it's pretty washed out.

Yes, the blue color (among the several choices you can cycle through) nicely matches the blue shifter knob :cool:

So, my final impression is: meh.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Wow. I could see myself maybe paying $100 for that. But $575??? Sheesh!

Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
$575 / 4 LEDs = $143 per LED!:eek: That is some mighty expensive bling for your Gen2!

Car Interior LED Accent Lighting

FWIW: Much cheaper Flexible Custom Length LED Tape Light can be had for @$1 per foot single color. The Color Changing RGB LED strip lights are slightly more expensive but can be sorted by overall brightness level from high to low at the following link: https://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/rgb-bars-and-strips/?view=standard
Interesting. Tempting, but I'm not an electrician, so I wouldn't know how to wire it. Are wiring diagrams available for Volts?

·
Registered
568 Posts
Interesting. Tempting, but I'm not an electrician, so I wouldn't know how to wire it. Are wiring diagrams available for Volts?
Not an electrician either -- but I know a thing or two. You can buy the parts of maybe $20 online for a long string of 12V DC led strip lights (can cut to fit) wire them to any switched LED source, hell for an extra $4 you can get a wireless remote control that controls how dim or bright they are:

http://www.amazon.com/Remote-Controller-Wireless-Control-Dimmable/dp/B00MHKCTLE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1463202163&sr=8-1&keywords=12V+DC+LED+string

Get a in line fuse tap for the power source and place them anywhere you like. Probably best to tap into the bulb/line that's wired to the door lights so that accent lighting only comes on when the door is open or interior lights are on, It would be super distracting driving like that.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I had thought about just adding a couple of LEDs in the foot wells and a single LED in each cup holder. That part seems easy enough. I would have to find a wiring diagram.. . It just seems to me that they have to have a plug somewhere for the optional system. You don't need a lot of LED's, they are supposed to be more or less dim but your thought of having them operate with the door opening is interesting too.
Maybe later I'll get interested in this project, as if I needed another one and try to find a wiring diagram. Me thinks $500 for a couple of leds is just not worth it but to put in yourself, priceless, LOL.
R

·
Registered
22 Posts
Is it possible the wiring for some of these additional features is already in place and we could buy the parts aftermarket to enable the functionality? I ask because on my Jeep if you have cruise control the wiring is also in place for stereo controls on the steering wheel. A common hack was to simply buy the parts or find them in a junk yard for the stereo controls and add them on for cheap later.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Is it possible the wiring for some of these additional features is already in place and we could buy the parts aftermarket to enable the functionality? I ask because on my Jeep if you have cruise control the wiring is also in place for stereo controls on the steering wheel. A common hack was to simply buy the parts or find them in a junk yard for the stereo controls and add them on for cheap later.
Thats a really good question. I would be interested in the footwell LEDs. I can care less about the cupholders.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thats a really good question. I would be interested in the footwell LEDs. I can care less about the cupholders.
It would be interesting to make a list of the available options and each of the trim levels, then determine the cheapest route to adding specific features. Ones that come to mind would be the ambient lighting, the illuminated USB ports, possibly seat warmers/mirror warmers and potentially some of the driver confidence features although I am betting those would require software updates.

Assuming the wiring harness is in place for some of these things.

·
Registered
313 Posts
It would be interesting to make a list of the available options and each of the trim levels, then determine the cheapest route to adding specific features. Ones that come to mind would be the ambient lighting, the illuminated USB ports, possibly seat warmers/mirror warmers and potentially some of the driver confidence features although I am betting those would require software updates.

Assuming the wiring harness is in place for some of these things.

I did some looking around and with the control for these led next to the normal lighting control/headlight control, it seems there will be a plug that will be involved with the existing wiring.
.. I did try to see what was there but as this is an electric car, there is a pretty good sized bundle of wiring back there and it seems a bit tight to get a hand in there.
.. I am also thinking some sort of wiring diagram would be greatly helpful. I keep looking for some LED lighting that can be tapped into but i am pretty caucious not to tap into something I shouldn't.. Past lessons learned.....
.. I do agree, $500 is too much for LEDs when you can easily live without. Its all bling.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I did some looking around and with the control for these led next to the normal lighting control/headlight control, it seems there will be a plug that will be involved with the existing wiring.
.. I did try to see what was there but as this is an electric car, there is a pretty good sized bundle of wiring back there and it seems a bit tight to get a hand in there.
.. I am also thinking some sort of wiring diagram would be greatly helpful. I keep looking for some LED lighting that can be tapped into but i am pretty caucious not to tap into something I shouldn't.. Past lessons learned.....
.. I do agree, $500 is too much for LEDs when you can easily live without. Its all bling.
It looks like the kit replaces that whole 2 switch lighting switch module with one that has the 3rd switch for the ambient lights, then includes new wiring harnesses which extend out from there. So it is more than just a few LEDs that plug into the ends of some existing harnesses.

·
Registered
89 Posts
The more I hear about it, I am guessing the high cost of the ambient lighting option, is the labour going into installing it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I bough my own ambient lighting and had it installed. MUCH cheaper and looks better. Even has a remote to cycle colors, brightness and beat sequence. Opt 7 system from Amazon. Now I have to get the outside blue light system installed.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I sat in a 2017 Volt at the dealer a month Go and it had "ambient lighting" along the swoop of the door. It sounds like this is not included from the factory???

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
I sat in a 2017 Volt at the dealer a month Go and it had "ambient lighting" along the swoop of the door. It sounds like this is not included from the factory???
The "swoop" on the door is standard on the Premium model. The "ambient lighting" is a dealer installed option that adds LEDs to the cup holders and the foot wells.

·
Registered
242 Posts
The "swoop" on the door is standard on the Premium model.
I must say, the standard ambient swoop on the doors is pretty cool, it gets a number of reactions when I have passengers in the car.

·
Registered
132 Posts
If you buy the factory kit, you can put in the ambient lighting without taking out the seats. All the plastic pieces unsnap. The two hardest steps are 1) removing the shifter - place it in park, and with two hands lift and twist back and forth. It requires quite a bit of lifting effort, 2) Removing the headlight control module. Pry from the bottom. Suggest you purchase a trim removal kit for $15 or else you risk damaging the trim panel and paying $50 for that piece from the dealer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I agree that this looks like something you could probably decently do on your own considering the amount that you've actually paid for it at the dealership. Perhaps that's why not many other people have actually ordered it when they got their cars? In any case, let us know if you run up any issues with the set up or if you intend to upgrade it anymore! I'd be keep to see how long-lasting it is...

·
Registered
132 Posts
I agree that this looks like something you could probably decently do on your own considering the amount that you've actually paid for it at the dealership. Perhaps that's why not many other people have actually ordered it when they got their cars? In any case, let us know if you run up any issues with the set up or if you intend to upgrade it anymore! I'd be keep to see how long-lasting it is...
Along with not removing the seats, I also did not try and remove the pins from the original light switch plug. I just cut the wires and did a little soldering. Installation takes 5 - 6 hours the first time. The second time a person does this installation, the time would be cut in half. Dealer installation is a money maker and way overpriced. I had no issues other than the cost of the factory kit. The accent lights look great, especially in the cup holders. I keep water bottles in there just to appreciate the effect. I'm trying to figure out the best place to add additional lights. Recommendations would be welcomed.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts