GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Weeks ago my 2014 Volt's Infotainment System started behaving oddly. Volume changes, source and station changes would be slow to take effect. The system seemed to be getting worse and now the thing just intemittently turns off and on. If I do get it to turn off manually it will stay off, but the display will go blank, like it's off, and then come on.

I've found other post where people have disconnected the 12v battery for 30 minutes or so, but I've tried that. I've had the battery tested and even replaced the battery and nothing has changed.

The dealer recommended I spend $2K to replace the radio, but they didn't know if that would fix it.

I kind of suspect it has something to do with the Bluetooth because of some symptomatic behavior I've noticed, but I'm not sure.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
667 Posts
Could be the touch screen acting up. Have you cleaned the screen with any liquid? ...if so liquid could have seeped into the digitizer...hence the ghost actions.

·
Administrator
20,186 Posts
Gremlins like this can sometimes be a sign the 12V battery has a flaky ground, or is going bad. Or a lose connector somewhere.

When posting issues it's alweays a good idea to state you car year, miles, the usual.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My Volt is a 2014 Premium Package with the Bose System. It has 75K miles. It's garage kept at home. The only other issue I've ever had with it was the heating system. It's only had one oil change and set of tires since purchased. I do have young teens that press the screen/buttons a lot to change radio stations. I've considered replacing the touch screen as an intermittent step, mostly because I can get a salvaged one for under a hundred dollars and replace it myself.

·
Registered
788 Posts
The infotainment system has been my major disappointment with the car. On my gen 2, I usually turn on the music after I'm done backing out onto the street. But if I back out of the garage to wash the car without starting the music, the next time I start the car, the music starts all by itself. Is it like an A.I. system? It thinks I turn on the music most of time, so the A.I. thinks it is doing me a favor and starts itself? I think my 2014 did this also.

It is even more annoying when I have riders in the car that I've been talking to, and the infotainment system turns itself on! UGHHHH!!!!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
caskConditionedAle, one setting I found that has made the issue of the radio just coming on is the initial volume level. I can't set mine below 7, but that's at least low enough it's only slightly noticable.

This issue does seem to be more predominant in certain year models. Although, many of the "fixes" folks have suggested haven't worked for me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts